Should I wait until January to register a new car?
Should I wait until January to register a new car?
Author
Discussion

Seacube

Original Poster:

41 posts

168 months

Wednesday 19th December 2012
quotequote all
Any residual value advantage? It's here, now, and I want it NOW if there's no benefit in waiting!

GreigR

764 posts

236 months

Wednesday 19th December 2012
quotequote all
It's not going to make a huge difference it will be on a '62' plate either way.

will_

6,035 posts

233 months

Wednesday 19th December 2012
quotequote all
For the sake of two weeks, I'd wait. It will always "appear" a year yonger than other similar models and as and when you come to sell it may just fall into a younger age category on Autotrader etc.

louiebaby

10,972 posts

221 months

Wednesday 19th December 2012
quotequote all
If the garage needs to bulk up their numbers for the end of the year, a deal could be struck to do it sooner rather than later... wink

marcosgt

11,500 posts

206 months

Wednesday 19th December 2012
quotequote all
Yep, look for a deal, otherwise wait a couple of weeks.

A car looks 12 months newer in the initial resale ad, even if a cursory glance will reveal it's only a few months difference at best.

M.

Ollie997

256 posts

244 months

Wednesday 19th December 2012
quotequote all
As already said, definitely wait to register in 2013.

Wacky Racer

41,363 posts

277 months

Wednesday 19th December 2012
quotequote all
Ollie997 said:
As already said, definitely wait to register in 2013.
This, you will be glad you did.

0a

24,139 posts

224 months

Wednesday 19th December 2012
quotequote all
Play it the other way around and make it clear you expect a discount for falling into 2012's numbers smile

Roo

11,504 posts

237 months

Wednesday 19th December 2012
quotequote all
Depends. Was the price you were quoted dependant on some offer or other that requires it to be registered this month?

As it's the end of the quarter this is quite possible.

Triple4

94 posts

167 months

Wednesday 19th December 2012
quotequote all
I dont get it....Even if you wait til January its still going to be a 62 plate and not look any newer from an outsider point of view? Why bother?

RJP001

1,173 posts

180 months

Wednesday 19th December 2012
quotequote all
Don't the plate changes happen in March and September?

Glosphil

4,885 posts

264 months

Wednesday 19th December 2012
quotequote all
If you trade in a car that is registered in early Jan it will be worth less than one registeresd in 2012. Absolutely no logic as most new models are launched in October and the reg changes in Sweptember and March. But the it gives the dealers aa chance to offer you less.

Triumph Man

9,615 posts

198 months

Wednesday 19th December 2012
quotequote all
My dad got a VERY tidy deal for buying a Volvo S60 in December 2003, I think he got £5k off.

ajh38

902 posts

180 months

Wednesday 19th December 2012
quotequote all
Depends on the car but it could be worth four hundred pounds more come resale.

worsy

6,606 posts

205 months

Wednesday 19th December 2012
quotequote all
Triple4 said:
I dont get it....Even if you wait til January its still going to be a 62 plate and not look any newer from an outsider point of view? Why bother?
Which would sir prefer, the 2010 or the 2009 car?

Same reg though wink

Matt UK

18,084 posts

230 months

Wednesday 19th December 2012
quotequote all
marcosgt said:
Yep, look for a deal, otherwise wait a couple of weeks.
yes

Killiefocus

9 posts

181 months

Wednesday 19th December 2012
quotequote all
It doesn't make a difference when trading in, go for the best deal

Butter Face

34,930 posts

190 months

Wednesday 19th December 2012
quotequote all
What car is it?

Have you made an agreement with the dealer to register this year?

We often price cars to be registered before month/quarter/year end and this is explained to the person buying.

Seacube

Original Poster:

41 posts

168 months

Thursday 20th December 2012
quotequote all
It's an ML63. The car was ordered a few months ago but various delays meant it only arrived a couple of days ago. So I can probably wangle a couple of freebies if I take it now, but otherwise the price is already agreed. I'm hoping any residual difference will amount to no more than a few hundred pounds.