PCP deal changing between order and delivery?
PCP deal changing between order and delivery?
Author
Discussion

pboyall

Original Poster:

176 posts

151 months

Thursday 22nd January 2015
quotequote all
Interesting one this and not sure what to do. When I ordered my car the PCP deal on offer was at 7% interest. Now, for reasons best known to themselves, they are offering 0% PCP deals.

Can I get the dealer to change me over before I have my car delivered? Or am I tied into the original finance deal I had a quote for months ago? I can't seem them voluntarily switching deals for me somehow ...

Has anyone else had deals change during a long wait for delivery?

gizlaroc

17,251 posts

254 months

Thursday 22nd January 2015
quotequote all
How much deposit have you given them so far?

£500 or a grand?

It may be worth saying you will walk away and loose your deposit and start over.

However what are the restrictions? Is the 0% deal on the same deposit etc.

I would call them and see what they say.


Pwig

12,004 posts

300 months

Thursday 22nd January 2015
quotequote all
When I was working in new sales you could just transfer to the newer deal.

Hitch78

6,119 posts

224 months

Thursday 22nd January 2015
quotequote all
Your deal hasn't changed, their offer to new customers has. The long wait is irrelevant unless it is longer than agreed. As above, take a view on what you stand to lose and try to renegotiate. I'd start with a sensible face to face chat with your salesman first.

Ali_T

3,379 posts

287 months

Thursday 22nd January 2015
quotequote all
pboyall said:
Has anyone else had deals change during a long wait for delivery?
Yes, but that was due to issues at the factory. I ordered my Alfa early August and was told I'd have it by early November at the very latest. At that point I signed up for a discount of around £3k and a 24 month PCP deal of 0.3%!

By the beginning of November, the car hadn't even started to list as ready for production and Alfa were very cagey about why. Rumour is their was a labour dispute in the paint shop over how they were paid as the 8C Red paint I ordered is a 4 coat affair and takes much longer than other paints, yet the paint shop guys were paid on units put through, or some other such nonsense. When we asked them in November when it would be made, they said March!

The dealers found a similar specced car in another dealership at that point so the whole deal was cancelled and we started over again. Alfa had massively improved their contributions and I also got extra money put in by Alfa for the hassle, and by the dealers to keep my custom. In the end, I got a £6k discount and switched over to a 0% HP finance for 18 months instead. But it was the excessive delay that got me out of the original contract.

How long did they promise for delivery and how long has it taken? IIRC, when I looked for advice, they have 14 days beyond the delivery estimate to provide a car at which point you can then write a letter asking them to provide the car within 7 days of receipt or the deal can be cancelled without you being liable for any payments.

pboyall

Original Poster:

176 posts

151 months

Thursday 22nd January 2015
quotequote all
Thanks for the advice - will give it a go to see if I can switch. They've not missed their delivery, it's just a long lead time. Since it's a nil deposit deal I don't have anything to lose

LouD86

3,290 posts

183 months

Friday 23rd January 2015
quotequote all
If you look at the other side, would you be a happy punter? If the deposit contribution, or the finance rate had gone up, would you be happy if they changed your agreement to cost you more?

They may be a bit cagey about doing so, just as a pre warning.

pboyall

Original Poster:

176 posts

151 months

Friday 23rd January 2015
quotequote all
Yeah, I wasn't even sure if it was an option and it feels a bit morally dodgy hence my asking. Doesn't hurt to try though since the reaction hasn't been one of outright horror :-)

Fast Bug

13,653 posts

191 months

Friday 23rd January 2015
quotequote all
You might not be able to change, it depends on the deal you got on the price of your car. With some manufacturers, a 0% deal may mean that the actual margins (discounts) available are lower to support the 0% offer.

To give an example, we can offer 0% on new vans. But if you take the offer there is no dealer margin to play with as the manufacturer takes that to pay for the 0% side of things. So in that case we would have to reprice the van without any dealer margin. You'd need to speak to the dealer that you've bought the car off to see if it's possible smile

moffat

1,020 posts

255 months

Friday 23rd January 2015
quotequote all
There are some key things to consider here:

1. Originally 7% APR but what discount did you get on the car?
2. Now 0% so what discounts are available?

In many cases and especially if using manufacturer finance the deals on models change quarterly and include:

- Changes in APR
- Changes in finance contribution e.g. deposit
- Changes in dealer contriubution

I bought a new car recently at 4.9% APR but even with the 0% APR that came out the next quarter my deal made more sense due to the discounts I received.

You need to get your dealer (or use another) to quote you on the 0% APR and see what the new deal looks like. If it is better, ask to change. If they say no (which is their right) consider cancelling and re-ordering if the difference between the deposit and new deal makes it a viable option.

pboyall

Original Poster:

176 posts

151 months

Friday 23rd January 2015
quotequote all
Thanks guys ... that is really insightful and helpful advice. You may be right - it was a chunky old discount. I know what the official dealer contributions are so it all needs to be balanced ... but it doesn't hurt to ask (so long as I do it with a smile, I hope!).


shake n bake

2,221 posts

237 months

Friday 23rd January 2015
quotequote all
We get this at work now and then, kick up a fuss if need be and they'll fold. Nobody wants an ordered car cancelled.