Discussion
It’s just a few clicks away, on
https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test
‘Driving a vehicle that’s failed
You can take your vehicle away if:
your current MOT is still valid
no ‘dangerous’ problems were listed in the MOT
Otherwise, you’ll need to get it repaired before you can drive.
If you can take your vehicle away, it must still meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times.’
https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test
‘Driving a vehicle that’s failed
You can take your vehicle away if:
your current MOT is still valid
no ‘dangerous’ problems were listed in the MOT
Otherwise, you’ll need to get it repaired before you can drive.
If you can take your vehicle away, it must still meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times.’
StrawberryBurst said:
Current MOT isn't due till end of March. Looking at get a fresh MOT done this week as plan on exchanging car so wanted a fresh MOT. I am not anticipating any problems with the MOT but on the off chance it fails, am I still ok to drive my car up until the end of March?
An early (failed) test will not invalidate an existing MOT, but a valid certificate would not provide exemption from prosecution for using a vehicle with defects.You'd need to know what it failed on before you could decide whether or not it could be driven legally, or whether you'd want to risk it.
StrawberryBurst said:
I think my understanding is corrected but just wanted to check.
Current MOT isn't due till end of March. Looking at get a fresh MOT done this week as plan on exchanging car so wanted a fresh MOT. I am not anticipating any problems with the MOT but on the off chance it fails, am I still ok to drive my car up until the end of March?
If there was anything I'd get it fixed anyway, but I'd likely wait a couple weeks unless it was something major and had to be done immediately. But like I say, not anticipating anything.
Just wondered the thinking behind getting a new MOT on a car you were going to part ex as it still has 2 months MOT left...Current MOT isn't due till end of March. Looking at get a fresh MOT done this week as plan on exchanging car so wanted a fresh MOT. I am not anticipating any problems with the MOT but on the off chance it fails, am I still ok to drive my car up until the end of March?
If there was anything I'd get it fixed anyway, but I'd likely wait a couple weeks unless it was something major and had to be done immediately. But like I say, not anticipating anything.
A bit different if you were planning on selling it privately but not worth doing it at the moment as wouldn't impact on part ex price
66HFM said:
Just wondered the thinking behind getting a new MOT on a car you were going to part ex as it still has 2 months MOT left...
A bit different if you were planning on selling it privately but not worth doing it at the moment as wouldn't impact on part ex price
Is that the case? I was planning on part/ex or one of these car buying groups like WBAC. Basically whoever offered me the most. I know on the WBAC page there are 'assumptions' made about MOT.A bit different if you were planning on selling it privately but not worth doing it at the moment as wouldn't impact on part ex price
If it is the case it has no affect on part ex valuation then I won't bother at all then if I go down that route instead of the car buyer places.
Thanks all, I know it's probably been asked a lot before. Feel free to close thread.
StrawberryBurst said:
66HFM said:
Just wondered the thinking behind getting a new MOT on a car you were going to part ex as it still has 2 months MOT left...
A bit different if you were planning on selling it privately but not worth doing it at the moment as wouldn't impact on part ex price
Is that the case? I was planning on part/ex or one of these car buying groups like WBAC. Basically whoever offered me the most. I know on the WBAC page there are 'assumptions' made about MOT.A bit different if you were planning on selling it privately but not worth doing it at the moment as wouldn't impact on part ex price
If it is the case it has no affect on part ex valuation then I won't bother at all then if I go down that route instead of the car buyer places.
Thanks all, I know it's probably been asked a lot before. Feel free to close thread.
66HFM said:
StrawberryBurst said:
I think my understanding is corrected but just wanted to check.
Current MOT isn't due till end of March. Looking at get a fresh MOT done this week as plan on exchanging car so wanted a fresh MOT. I am not anticipating any problems with the MOT but on the off chance it fails, am I still ok to drive my car up until the end of March?
If there was anything I'd get it fixed anyway, but I'd likely wait a couple weeks unless it was something major and had to be done immediately. But like I say, not anticipating anything.
Just wondered the thinking behind getting a new MOT on a car you were going to part ex as it still has 2 months MOT left...Current MOT isn't due till end of March. Looking at get a fresh MOT done this week as plan on exchanging car so wanted a fresh MOT. I am not anticipating any problems with the MOT but on the off chance it fails, am I still ok to drive my car up until the end of March?
If there was anything I'd get it fixed anyway, but I'd likely wait a couple weeks unless it was something major and had to be done immediately. But like I say, not anticipating anything.
A bit different if you were planning on selling it privately but not worth doing it at the moment as wouldn't impact on part ex price
Gassing Station | General Gassing | Top of Page | What's New | My Stuff




, fair play to him for doing it correctly.