My car broke down after an accident that wasn't my fault.
Discussion
I am in quite a situation.
I got a Volvo hitting me, my insurance has put the event as a dispute and get a company called AX involved.
AX is happy to move the topic forward and has given me two options as they consider my car total loss:
1. They will call Copart who will do a pre accident vehicle valuation and pass it to the 3rd party for approval before releasing the funds. They will pass a full report of the vehicle and their valuation
2. I keep the car, so the 3rd party insurance engineers inspect the vehicle in my drive and may send it for repair, may give me a settlement if they agree is total loss...
Mewhile I have been thinking about these options, my vehicle now has broken down. I have been told it is the timing chain (BMW 120d...) so basically a new engine... and now is when I think... not worth to repair it, let me call the insurance...
I have told the insurance the situation... but they are not really conclusive on if I will get paid the pre-accident value or if that later engine failure will have an impact on the settlement (I am concerned if they will tell me something like... the car value was 3k, but because it needs now an engine and that was not due to the accident we will give you £500)... yet they are kind of pushy for option 1 and refer to the FAQ which obviously does not contemplate this weird situation and just points to a pre-accident valuation...
What do you think gents? Option 1 or option 2?
I got a Volvo hitting me, my insurance has put the event as a dispute and get a company called AX involved.
AX is happy to move the topic forward and has given me two options as they consider my car total loss:
1. They will call Copart who will do a pre accident vehicle valuation and pass it to the 3rd party for approval before releasing the funds. They will pass a full report of the vehicle and their valuation
2. I keep the car, so the 3rd party insurance engineers inspect the vehicle in my drive and may send it for repair, may give me a settlement if they agree is total loss...
Mewhile I have been thinking about these options, my vehicle now has broken down. I have been told it is the timing chain (BMW 120d...) so basically a new engine... and now is when I think... not worth to repair it, let me call the insurance...
I have told the insurance the situation... but they are not really conclusive on if I will get paid the pre-accident value or if that later engine failure will have an impact on the settlement (I am concerned if they will tell me something like... the car value was 3k, but because it needs now an engine and that was not due to the accident we will give you £500)... yet they are kind of pushy for option 1 and refer to the FAQ which obviously does not contemplate this weird situation and just points to a pre-accident valuation...
What do you think gents? Option 1 or option 2?
Edited by Crica87 on Wednesday 6th March 13:42
Struggle to see what difference it makes if the car is written off? Whether it has a broken engine or a missing parcel shelf, they will give (their interpretation of) a what it would cost to replace like-for-like.
If they were still deciding, the engine news may have pushed it over the edge, but if they have already agreed, then I can't see what difference it makes.
You will need to prepare at least 3 Volvos of the same age (i.e. same plate) and mileage to counter their offer to you.
If they were still deciding, the engine news may have pushed it over the edge, but if they have already agreed, then I can't see what difference it makes.
You will need to prepare at least 3 Volvos of the same age (i.e. same plate) and mileage to counter their offer to you.
thelostboy said:
Struggle to see what difference it makes if the car is written off? Whether it has a broken engine or a missing parcel shelf, they will give (their interpretation of) a what it would cost to replace like-for-like.
If they were still deciding, the engine news may have pushed it over the edge, but if they have already agreed, then I can't see what difference it makes.
You will need to prepare at least 3 Volvos of the same age (i.e. same plate) and mileage to counter their offer to you.
I'd prepare adverts for a BMW myself If they were still deciding, the engine news may have pushed it over the edge, but if they have already agreed, then I can't see what difference it makes.
You will need to prepare at least 3 Volvos of the same age (i.e. same plate) and mileage to counter their offer to you.

You'd hope any "pre-accident" value would take into account that the car was being driven when it was hit, therefore the engine wasn't knackered at the time?
thelostboy said:
Struggle to see what difference it makes if the car is written off? Whether it has a broken engine or a missing parcel shelf, they will give (their interpretation of) a what it would cost to replace like-for-like.
If they were still deciding, the engine news may have pushed it over the edge, but if they have already agreed, then I can't see what difference it makes.
You will need to prepare at least 3 Volvos of the same age (i.e. same plate) and mileage to counter their offer to you.
I am concerned if they will tell me something like... the car value was 3k, but because it needs now an engine and that was not due to the accident we will give you £500If they were still deciding, the engine news may have pushed it over the edge, but if they have already agreed, then I can't see what difference it makes.
You will need to prepare at least 3 Volvos of the same age (i.e. same plate) and mileage to counter their offer to you.
Alex@POD said:
thelostboy said:
Struggle to see what difference it makes if the car is written off? Whether it has a broken engine or a missing parcel shelf, they will give (their interpretation of) a what it would cost to replace like-for-like.
If they were still deciding, the engine news may have pushed it over the edge, but if they have already agreed, then I can't see what difference it makes.
You will need to prepare at least 3 Volvos of the same age (i.e. same plate) and mileage to counter their offer to you.
I'd prepare adverts for a BMW myself If they were still deciding, the engine news may have pushed it over the edge, but if they have already agreed, then I can't see what difference it makes.
You will need to prepare at least 3 Volvos of the same age (i.e. same plate) and mileage to counter their offer to you.

You'd hope any "pre-accident" value would take into account that the car was being driven when it was hit, therefore the engine wasn't knackered at the time?
PartOfTheProblem said:
Why on earth you would mention this to the insurance company is beyond me.
Hopefully you don't get stung by the worst case scenario here! Fingers crossed for you.
me being an idiot as usually I suppose... let's see.Hopefully you don't get stung by the worst case scenario here! Fingers crossed for you.
I am inclined to option 2, I have checked Copart web and they seem to sell these cars so I think they will use the engine failure to pay less for the car to the insurance...
I think I prefer to liaise with the 3rd party insurance, if they want to repair the damages, I probably repair the engine (or just sell it as is) and if they want to scrap it at least I can agree or disagree with the deal... (with Copart, once you sent it to them, you are tied to whatever offer they give you... if you are not happy with it you're liable for the valuation cost... it is pretty ridiculous)
Edited by Crica87 on Wednesday 6th March 15:34
Gassing Station | General Gassing | Top of Page | What's New | My Stuff


