Insurance and private reg transfer.
Discussion
Hi
Just after a bit of advice on a daft situation I have created for myself.
If this is better in SPL please move it.
I am collecting my new (to me) vehicle from a Lexus main dealer on Tuesday and as part of the handover the dealer is transferring my personal reg over to the new vehicle. This is my first time transferring a reg to a new car so I did not realise I would need to wait for the V5 to come back in my name. (I know, obvious in hindsight!).
The slight issue arises in that my insurance is set to change over to the new car on Tuesday with the assumption that it will be wearing my registration so is insured under that plate. Realistically it's likely to be around a week before I get the V5 so I can't do the reg transfer until then.
Yes I can ring my Insurers and, yes they will probably be quite amenable to doing 2 more policy changes at £25 a time on top of the £25 I just paid to change the vehicle so that is an option but realistically what is the likely outcome of leaving it on its current plate for a few days, then doing the reg transfer instantly as soon as the V5 comes back?
I would avoid using the vehicle other than to bring it home until the transfer was done as I appreciate that this is not the ideal (or possibly even legal) way to do this hence asking the question here. Really bad idea? Should I just grit my teeth & give the Insurance Co another £50 for 60 seconds work?
Thanks
Just after a bit of advice on a daft situation I have created for myself.
If this is better in SPL please move it.
I am collecting my new (to me) vehicle from a Lexus main dealer on Tuesday and as part of the handover the dealer is transferring my personal reg over to the new vehicle. This is my first time transferring a reg to a new car so I did not realise I would need to wait for the V5 to come back in my name. (I know, obvious in hindsight!).
The slight issue arises in that my insurance is set to change over to the new car on Tuesday with the assumption that it will be wearing my registration so is insured under that plate. Realistically it's likely to be around a week before I get the V5 so I can't do the reg transfer until then.
Yes I can ring my Insurers and, yes they will probably be quite amenable to doing 2 more policy changes at £25 a time on top of the £25 I just paid to change the vehicle so that is an option but realistically what is the likely outcome of leaving it on its current plate for a few days, then doing the reg transfer instantly as soon as the V5 comes back?
I would avoid using the vehicle other than to bring it home until the transfer was done as I appreciate that this is not the ideal (or possibly even legal) way to do this hence asking the question here. Really bad idea? Should I just grit my teeth & give the Insurance Co another £50 for 60 seconds work?
Thanks
Could you just leave it with the dealer and when you get the v5 do the transfer ?
Can you change the reg on line with the insurance co - this may avoid charges??
There is always a delay between changing numbers and them being logged onto the mid , but what you are doing is definitely wrong wrt DVLA .
Or if the car is in the sellers name wrt v5 , put them down as a nominee??
Can you change the reg on line with the insurance co - this may avoid charges??
There is always a delay between changing numbers and them being logged onto the mid , but what you are doing is definitely wrong wrt DVLA .
Or if the car is in the sellers name wrt v5 , put them down as a nominee??
Edited by ds666 on Saturday 4th January 20:09
My gut feeling was to call the insurers anyway, just asking for advice really.
I will give them a call on Monday & sort it, another £50 is annoying but probably worth it for peace of mind.
Thanks for the useful answers, and no not a troll post, just not a fan of being nickel & dimed by insurers but I will do things correctly and the error was mine.
I will give them a call on Monday & sort it, another £50 is annoying but probably worth it for peace of mind.
Thanks for the useful answers, and no not a troll post, just not a fan of being nickel & dimed by insurers but I will do things correctly and the error was mine.
Fubar1977 said:
My gut feeling was to call the insurers anyway, just asking for advice really.
I will give them a call on Monday & sort it, another £50 is annoying but probably worth it for peace of mind.
Thanks for the useful answers, and no not a troll post, just not a fan of being nickel & dimed by insurers but I will do things correctly and the error was mine.
Why should everyone else pay the additional admin cost of a vanity plate you want? I will give them a call on Monday & sort it, another £50 is annoying but probably worth it for peace of mind.
Thanks for the useful answers, and no not a troll post, just not a fan of being nickel & dimed by insurers but I will do things correctly and the error was mine.
I get your annoyance but it’s your choice to have it.
InitialDave said:
Lo-Fi said:
I'm with Aviva; assigning a PP can be done online, for free.
Yes, my insurer does it free online, but has a charge if you call them.Will give them a call on Monday & get it sorted, thanks to all who usefully contributed.
Gassing Station | General Gassing | Top of Page | What's New | My Stuff


