What are my options?
Author
Discussion

Regiment

Original Poster:

2,799 posts

188 months

Monday 2nd May 2011
quotequote all
Looking at saving up and purchasing my third car in a few years, yes it's probably going to take that long because i'll be doing it from square one, but i'm looking at getting one of the new Chevrolet V8 Camaros. Now at the moment, i've got a 15month old Renault Sport Megane 250Cup which i'm absolutely loving, picked it up in January from the local Renault dealer and loving it, but it is costing me £350 a month over 36months on a finance deal with Renault...£350 that might be able to go into a savings account for the Camaro.

The question is, if i decided to replace the Megane over the next few months with a good, reliable piece of st, which would be the easier option and which would be the better option interms of money, would i be able to take it back to Renault, hand it back to them and walk away after signing a few papers without any issues with my credit record or is it better trying to sell it to someone else privately and sorting out paying the finance off in one big, lump sum?

edit: Just so everyone knows, i do love the 250Cup, completely faultless car, but...the Camaro is looking very, very, very tempting.

Origin Unknown

2,481 posts

198 months

Monday 2nd May 2011
quotequote all
Is the finance secured against the car? If so, you can realistically only sell it once you have cleared the finance which will mean taking a loan out to clear the car finance, sell the car to clear the loan. Are you able to get double the current value of your car in credit?

You could of course find someone who will take the finance over from you, but I wouldn't be holding my breath.