996 Cab. Sell now or wait till spring
Discussion
I'm mulling over selling my 996 Cab having "scratched the itch" and thouroughly enjoyed it for the past 18 months. The question is, what makes the best financial sense:
1). Sell now and recognise the premium you get for selling a cab in the spring will not be forthcoming.
2). Wait till March and consequently swallow another 4/5 months depreciation and get the spring premium plus a lot more potential buyers.
Of course I'm leaning towards option 2 as that at least gives me some lovely top down days over the winter when the sun shines. Simply glorious last Sunday.
So what makes the best financial sense on a 1999 C2 Cab with 46k miles. I'll probably only put another 2k on over the winter.
1). Sell now and recognise the premium you get for selling a cab in the spring will not be forthcoming.
2). Wait till March and consequently swallow another 4/5 months depreciation and get the spring premium plus a lot more potential buyers.
Of course I'm leaning towards option 2 as that at least gives me some lovely top down days over the winter when the sun shines. Simply glorious last Sunday.
So what makes the best financial sense on a 1999 C2 Cab with 46k miles. I'll probably only put another 2k on over the winter.
Edited by Denis O on Wednesday 8th November 16:49
Difficult one, have you checked price guides for some idea of how much depreciation you should expect before next spring ?
I bought a 2001 Boxster 2.7 a couple of years ago (on a beautiful hot summers day) and then sold it 8 months later on a freezing raining Febuary day - and managed to lose £4,000 in 8 months !!! Only did about 4,000 miles in it during that time.
Planning on buying another Boxster this Winter (on the coldest, wettest day I can find)
I bought a 2001 Boxster 2.7 a couple of years ago (on a beautiful hot summers day) and then sold it 8 months later on a freezing raining Febuary day - and managed to lose £4,000 in 8 months !!! Only did about 4,000 miles in it during that time.
Planning on buying another Boxster this Winter (on the coldest, wettest day I can find)
Sorry fella, I don't think you're going to outweigh the depreciation by keeping it until next March. The seasonal thing is mostly a card played by the dealers to keep the price down - I bought my 911 privately last November and wouldn't have thought about waiting until the following Spring. Sadly I'm now faced with selling it too 

Just a theory but I'm not sure that there is a real Spring premium and you might have to wait until the middle of summer to find a queue of potential buyers beating at your door. The theory being that in March/April, it has barely warmed up and it is only after a spell of good weather that (some) people realise that they would have rather been driving a convertible and they start to think about buying one - before the miss the end of the summer...
The other theory being that modern convertibles are so good at keeping out the elements that more and more people consider them at all points throughout the year, regardless of the season.
I think comment about losing £4k in 8 months on a Boxster has more to do with general oversupply at the end of the initial Boxster honeymoon period rather than a simple seasonal effect.
I can remember reading a story from a chap who took delivery of a new Boxster in November'00 I think (back when there was a 12-18month waiting list) who then sold it back to suppying OPC in June for a mere £2k less than he had paid!
The other theory being that modern convertibles are so good at keeping out the elements that more and more people consider them at all points throughout the year, regardless of the season.
I think comment about losing £4k in 8 months on a Boxster has more to do with general oversupply at the end of the initial Boxster honeymoon period rather than a simple seasonal effect.
I can remember reading a story from a chap who took delivery of a new Boxster in November'00 I think (back when there was a 12-18month waiting list) who then sold it back to suppying OPC in June for a mere £2k less than he had paid!
nick_968 said:
Sell now!
Pretty unequivocal Nick. Ya wanna buy it?
So probably no real premium but likely to be more buyers. In that case it makes sense to put it up for sale now with no real pressure to sell until next year. At least i don't have to take stupid offers.
So what do we think it's worth in the current market place?
996 C2 Cab Tip
46k FSH mixture of OPC and Indy's.
48k service done last December
Sports Seats
Ally Pack
All Leather inc dash
Traction
SatNav (Becker with MP3 & Blue Tooth + Interchanger)
18" Alloys
Picture in profile.
Denis O said:
[quote=nick_968]Sell now!
Pretty unequivocal Nick. Ya wanna buy it?
Lol with a 968 turbo and a 993 track rat my Porsche quota is full for the moment, but I would never put off selling to try and get more money in the spring for a Porsche cab as they are a year round car and will suffer depreciation all year round.
Gassing Station | Porsche General | Top of Page | What's New | My Stuff



