RE: Roush RST-V8 engine steps forward

RE: Roush RST-V8 engine steps forward

Thursday 3rd March 2005

Roush RST-V8 engine steps forward

Chunky 380bhp unit is to be further developed


Motopower and Mountune Racing have announced a joint venture to assemble and market the Roush RST-V8 engine. It'll be sold by Motopower’s sales and marketing arm Firehawk Marketing.

The 320bhp+ RST-V8 engine has been developed over a period of time from the early 90’s when it first appeared in Gordon Murray’s β€˜Lightning’ car. After a period concentrating on Superbike racing, Motopower turned its attention back to the V8 with a design upgrade and it is now fitted in several chassis, including Caterham Sevens. The development Caterham has already completed 20,000 hard trouble free validation miles on the latest engine.

The engine is a lightweight, high revving, four-cam, five-valve per cylinder all alloy unit which weighs from 74Kg. The cylinder heads are currently motorbike castings. Everything else has been designed, developed and manufactured for the engine.

The engine now incorporates belt drive camshafts and twin water pumps and is mated to a type 9 Quaife helical cut sequential gearbox and installed into an SV chassis which Caterham Cars has loaned for the project.

The RST-V8 was on display at the 2004 Caterham Festival, the bright yellow and distinctive RST-V8 Caterham took pride of place outside the MotorSport Vision Centre. A unit is to be fitted in a Lotus Elise, work is currently underway to combine the easy handling of the Lotus Elise with the awesome power of the RST-V8.

Strong sales interest has meant an expansion is necessary and Mountune, in conjunction with its parent company Roush Technologies, can provide the necessary additional bandwidth, including engine assembly, service and road car certification.

Russell Savory and David Mountain, principals of Motopower and Mountune respectively, have known each other for many years and this project embraces the core skills of both companies and takes the RST-V8 engine forward into low volume production. David Mountain said: "We can see that the potential of this superb engine is huge and we are delighted to be working with Russell and his team on this exciting project. To have an engine range that weighs in from 74Kg producing from 320bhp to well over 380bhp is quite something."

Author
Discussion

nickytwohats

Original Poster:

2,084 posts

199 months

Thursday 3rd March 2005
quotequote all
I'll take one!

Gentelman

183 posts

202 months

Thursday 3rd March 2005
quotequote all
What's the capacity? I'd read about the Caterham a while ago and seem to remember that it was around 2 litres, but they only mention 74kg in this article.

Craigy_97Elise

11,086 posts

194 months

Thursday 3rd March 2005
quotequote all
According to www.rst-v8.com/ this is a 2-litre V8 revving to 10K (road) or over 12K(race).

Craigy

dinkus

21 posts

193 months

Friday 4th March 2005
quotequote all
It's a beast, it really is.

They've got a video of it being hooned around North Weald by Andy Walsh on their website and it's more than enough for me to want one

It's also in Andy's "Bending The Rules" DVD...

dnb

3,330 posts

200 months

Friday 4th March 2005
quotequote all
The 2.4 variant should be interesting

I think I've found the engine for that kit car I'm planning...

jig

244 posts

197 months

Friday 4th March 2005
quotequote all
I've got Andy's DVD and the sound that Caterham makes is superb! I'd love to see the Elise that gets it...

dinkus

21 posts

193 months

Friday 4th March 2005
quotequote all
Yeah, I hear they've got an even more insane version of the engine that's getting put into an Elise.

That'd be getting into Ultima territory by then I'd imagine...

planetdave

9,921 posts

211 months

Friday 4th March 2005
quotequote all
A couple of points

How ?

What's the overhaul frequency?

The other bike based V8 ( appearing in the Radical ) is rather expensive and needs a lot of TLC. I hear that there were problems with things like oil pick up etc.

Here's an idea. Take two Hiyabusa engines and mechanically mate them. Gear the output shafts to a common clutch. Not so elegant but would not have so many developmental issues. OK I'm no engineer, but wouldn't it be so much easier/cheaper?

But the word V8 still makes me moist

kittridge

18 posts

187 months

Saturday 5th March 2005
quotequote all
V8 that Radical is currently developing with PowerTec is around 16000. At least last time I checked. Anyway, what do you mean by mate two hayabusa engines together? You mean put I4 engine in V-shape to be V8? That is a such bad idea that it is a lot easier to just use top end (head) and develop the bottom end from scratch (this is the method companies developing bike derived V8 engine) Putting I4 engine into V8 is as difficult as just developing a new V8 from scratch.

planetdave said:
A couple of points

How ?

What's the overhaul frequency?

The other bike based V8 ( appearing in the Radical ) is rather expensive and needs a lot of TLC. I hear that there were problems with things like oil pick up etc.

Here's an idea. Take two Hiyabusa engines and mechanically mate them. Gear the output shafts to a common clutch. Not so elegant but would not have so many developmental issues. OK I'm no engineer, but wouldn't it be so much easier/cheaper?

But the word V8 still makes me moist

dinkus

21 posts

193 months

Monday 7th March 2005
quotequote all
Well the RST-V8 is effectively 2 bike engines welded together, but err they only kept the bike heads

Last I heard, the engines were similar cos to the Radical ones, so around 16k or so as well.

I don't know about re-build times, but their test engine has done over 20k miles and I don't think it's had any major work done to it. That thing certainly isn't driven lightly. (oop, sorry, says that in the article)

Russell's a nice bloke tho, so give them a call

planetdave

9,921 posts

211 months

Monday 7th March 2005
quotequote all
kittridge said:
Anyway, what do you mean by mate two hayabusa engines together? You mean put I4 engine in V-shape to be V8?


planetdave said:
A couple of points

How ?

What's the overhaul frequency?

The other bike based V8 ( appearing in the Radical ) is rather expensive and needs a lot of TLC. I hear that there were problems with things like oil pick up etc.

Here's an idea. Take two Hiyabusa engines and mechanically mate them. Gear the output shafts to a common clutch. Not so elegant but would not have so many developmental issues. OK I'm no engineer, but wouldn't it be so much easier/cheaper?

But the word V8 still makes me moist




No - I meant take 2 engines and mechanically 'strap' them together - just have a custom clutch/box. No 'V' shape - just leave them in ordinary orientation fully dressed as they came out of the factory. Perhaps having one side 'reversed' to facilitate breathing. KISS.

Plotloss

67,280 posts

228 months

Monday 7th March 2005
quotequote all
ZCars and Radical have done the two busa V8 thing...

planetdave

9,921 posts

211 months

Monday 7th March 2005
quotequote all








turbo_chuff

46 posts

193 months

Monday 7th March 2005
quotequote all
yes, v-8 elise good idea

xm5er

5,080 posts

206 months

Tuesday 8th March 2005
quotequote all
planetdave said:

kittridge said:
Anyway, what do you mean by mate two hayabusa engines together? You mean put I4 engine in V-shape to be V8?



planetdave said:
A couple of points

How ?

What's the overhaul frequency?

The other bike based V8 ( appearing in the Radical ) is rather expensive and needs a lot of TLC. I hear that there were problems with things like oil pick up etc.

Here's an idea. Take two Hiyabusa engines and mechanically mate them. Gear the output shafts to a common clutch. Not so elegant but would not have so many developmental issues. OK I'm no engineer, but wouldn't it be so much easier/cheaper?

But the word V8 still makes me moist






No - I meant take 2 engines and mechanically 'strap' them together - just have a custom clutch/box. No 'V' shape - just leave them in ordinary orientation fully dressed as they came out of the factory. Perhaps having one side 'reversed' to facilitate breathing. KISS.


Funny you should say that, I've a couple of old FZ750 engines sat on my workbench next to a hack saw.

dinkus

21 posts

193 months

Thursday 10th March 2005
quotequote all
planetdave said:
No - I meant take 2 engines and mechanically 'strap' them together - just have a custom clutch/box. No 'V' shape - just leave them in ordinary orientation fully dressed as they came out of the factory. Perhaps having one side 'reversed' to facilitate breathing. KISS.


Er, like this? www.tigerracing.co.uk/cars/tiger-z100-main.php

dinkus

21 posts

193 months

Tuesday 12th April 2005
quotequote all
Ooooh, they've got a cool new website - www.rst-v8.co.uk

dinkel

25,568 posts

216 months

Tuesday 12th April 2005
quotequote all
Moto Guzzi anyone

Nice vids.

planetdave

9,921 posts

211 months

Wednesday 13th April 2005
quotequote all
dinkus said:

planetdave said:
No - I meant take 2 engines and mechanically 'strap' them together - just have a custom clutch/box. No 'V' shape - just leave them in ordinary orientation fully dressed as they came out of the factory. Perhaps having one side 'reversed' to facilitate breathing. KISS.



Er, like this? www.tigerracing.co.uk/cars/tiger-z100-main.php