How long would you wait for a car to be prepped?
How long would you wait for a car to be prepped?
Author
Discussion

W12GT

Original Poster:

4,447 posts

251 months

Wednesday 2nd September 2020
quotequote all
I’ve bought a Rapide from a main dealer, thing is that was over two weeks ago. I’ve called them today to see how they are getting on and they’ve told me they are waiting on two bolts that are on back order. The front bumper needs painting and they haven’t even started that (I don’t understand why they didn’t have it in the body shop whilst waiting for the bolts. I’ve spoken to the sales manager and he’s just said it’s unlikely to be ready next week.

So the reality is I’m guessing I’ll have waited 4weeks to get the car. I’m actually quite fed up that I’ve had to chase them to find this out.

How long is too long to wait? I’m actually considering walking away from it.

cayman-black

13,265 posts

246 months

Wednesday 2nd September 2020
quotequote all
Four weeks is a long time, especially without info and no apology, not so good i feel.

Buster73

5,622 posts

183 months

Wednesday 2nd September 2020
quotequote all
W12GT said:
I’ve bought a Rapide from a main dealer, thing is that was over two weeks ago. I’ve called them today to see how they are getting on and they’ve told me they are waiting on two bolts that are on back order. The front bumper needs painting and they haven’t even started that (I don’t understand why they didn’t have it in the body shop whilst waiting for the bolts. I’ve spoken to the sales manager and he’s just said it’s unlikely to be ready next week.

So the reality is I’m guessing I’ll have waited 4weeks to get the car. I’m actually quite fed up that I’ve had to chase them to find this out.

How long is too long to wait? I’m actually considering walking away from it.
Walk.

Big Ry

1,682 posts

149 months

Wednesday 2nd September 2020
quotequote all
Seems unreasonably long to me, unless it was discussed during the purchase (which it sounds like it wasn't).

Other than painting the front bumper, exactly what other work was needed before collection ?

Is this a AML MD or an indy ?

W12GT

Original Poster:

4,447 posts

251 months

Wednesday 2nd September 2020
quotequote all
Big Ry said:
Seems unreasonably long to me, unless it was discussed during the purchase (which it sounds like it wasn't).

Other than painting the front bumper, exactly what other work was needed before collection ?

Is this a AML MD or an indy ?
Main dealer. No there was no mention of timescale. They did the service and inspection and it highlighted some items requiring attention but after I chased them last week I was told end of this week. Certainly sullies the experience - don’t even feel excited anymore. Issue is I’ve given them a hefty deposit so I wonder where I’d stand if I walked. Plus of course then I’ve got the hassle of finding another car....

Big Ry

1,682 posts

149 months

Wednesday 2nd September 2020
quotequote all
Still worth a frank discussion with the MD about it though. You could quite rightly argue that these "bits" should have been picked up in any inspection they did before selling the car, so should already have been rectified. The fact that they were not is now causing you the purchaser aggravation that you didn't expect when buying a "Timeless Approved" vehicle etc.

A couple of weeks I'd take on the chin, but If the delay does genuinely start to look like 3-4 weeks, I'd probably be asking for the 2021 annual service to be comp as a gesture of goodwill from the dealer, as they're pushing yours.

LTP

3,118 posts

142 months

Wednesday 2nd September 2020
quotequote all
I agree that 3-4 weeks seems way too long, unless the timing had been intimated at the start and you'd agreed. It does sound like they've not got their act together and there may be something else going on in the background (eg something like a mechanic (sorry..."technician") dropped a spanner on the bonnet and they're trying to fix it without you getting to know). To be fair their bodyshop may not be on the premises, but that doesn't stop them compiling a plan.

I'd suggest a frank conversation with the Dealer Principal on how unhappy you are and that they have now got xx days to have the car ready (replace xx with your preferred timing) or you'll be withdrawing from the sale. Then you have a verbal contract (have your phone on record in your pocket). Have you paid them a deposit? Or signed anything?

W12GT

Original Poster:

4,447 posts

251 months

Wednesday 2nd September 2020
quotequote all
Not signed anything but I’ve put down a £2k deposit....I haven’t even seen the car in the flesh and it’s being delivered to me by trailer...

CB07

532 posts

263 months

Wednesday 2nd September 2020
quotequote all
I’d try and get them to agree to a driving experience day!

I suppose things can take time, covid etc. I’m guessing they called you when a car of the right spec came in? In which case it wouldn’t have been forecourt/timeless ready. If that is the case 2 weeks sounds about fair. 3-4 is pushing it and they shouldn’t have sold you a car they couldn’t bring it to snuff on the basis of a 4 week wait.

However it will be worth the wait!

DAVIDOXE

495 posts

144 months

Wednesday 2nd September 2020
quotequote all
Why on earth are you putting up with being treated this badly.
tell the m to F off and demand immediate repayment of deposit.

W12GT

Original Poster:

4,447 posts

251 months

Wednesday 2nd September 2020
quotequote all
DAVIDOXE said:
Why on earth are you putting up with being treated this badly.
tell the m to F off and demand immediate repayment of deposit.
I suppose I’m just more relaxed about things these days, I understand that times are different now and things can be out of our control. I’m more frustrated by the poor comms tbh and that they couldn’t project manage a little better.

I appreciate they want it to be right and don’t want them to cut corners so that’s actually a positive. The idea of either a reduced price for a second years warranty or the next service on the house may be the angle I go for!

EVR

2,247 posts

90 months

Thursday 3rd September 2020
quotequote all
W12GT said:
Not signed anything but I’ve put down a £2k deposit....I haven’t even seen the car in the flesh and it’s being delivered to me by trailer...
I believe the place you are buying from is quite far, but I would consider a surprise visit in person as a last resort, so at least you can assess what is up.

W12GT

Original Poster:

4,447 posts

251 months

Thursday 3rd September 2020
quotequote all
EVR said:
W12GT said:
Not signed anything but I’ve put down a £2k deposit....I haven’t even seen the car in the flesh and it’s being delivered to me by trailer...
I believe the place you are buying from is quite far, but I would consider a surprise visit in person as a last resort, so at least you can assess what is up.
Yes it’s a good couple of hours from me and I’m just too busy with work. I think I’m going to wait until everything is done and then speak to the dealer principal- that way I should be getting the car without corners cut, plus is shows I’ve been reasonable hopefully then the DP will feel obligated to be generous lol

Big Ry

1,682 posts

149 months

Thursday 3rd September 2020
quotequote all
W12GT said:
Yes it’s a good couple of hours from me and I’m just too busy with work. I think I’m going to wait until everything is done and then speak to the dealer principal- that way I should be getting the car without corners cut, plus is shows I’ve been reasonable hopefully then the DP will feel obligated to be generous lol
I think you've got a better angle by having a discussion with them now, as at this point you can still ask for your deposit back and walk away.

8Tech

2,212 posts

228 months

Thursday 3rd September 2020
quotequote all
Very disappointing but if it's the car you really want, then I would continue to wait and mention a few deal sweeteners, like a free service package or accessories FOC. You really don't know what has been found needing rectification and at least it appears they are trying to put it right.

Ask them what "bolts" are needed and then call another dealer for a price and availability. That will reveal any deliberate stalling.

I paid cash in full for my DB9 from a very well known independant seller only to be told it had major engine issues, and despite being prepared to wait, they sent a BACS back to my bank and cancelled the sale without my approval, but not much you can do about that!

Bought another from another dealer and have been very pleased, even though that needed to go back a few times. They also lied to me about needing to code taillights and didn't service it because "service was not due". I never went back.

anonymous-user

84 months

Thursday 3rd September 2020
quotequote all
They are taking the piss. 1 week, 2 at a push. It’s supposed to be exciting, not tedious.

I am guessing that the dealership have other things they would rather be doing, so let them do that and have a refund if they don’t pull out the stops. There will be other cars, unless your spec requirements are rare?

As you are into September would the book value on the rapide have moved at all? Perhaps a renegotiation?

W12GT

Original Poster:

4,447 posts

251 months

Thursday 3rd September 2020
quotequote all
There was a small oil leak so they’ve had the top end off. In doing so they noticed that two bolts on the PAS unit were threaded and these were on back order. A couple of other things they noticed and have sorted. Apparently it’s all now done and off to the body shop.

cayman-black

13,265 posts

246 months

Friday 4th September 2020
quotequote all
W12GT said:
There was a small oil leak so they’ve had the top end off. In doing so they noticed that two bolts on the PAS unit were threaded and these were on back order. A couple of other things they noticed and have sorted. Apparently it’s all now done and off to the body shop.
Oh, so there was quite a bit of work on their part.

SFO

5,190 posts

213 months

Friday 4th September 2020
quotequote all
W12GT said:
There was a small oil leak so they’ve had the top end off. In doing so they noticed that two bolts on the PAS unit were threaded and these were on back order. A couple of other things they noticed and have sorted. Apparently it’s all now done and off to the body shop.
Good that they have been thoroughly preparing the car

8Tech

2,212 posts

228 months

Friday 4th September 2020
quotequote all
Like I said previously, better they are thorough now ather than you find the leak a few weeks down the line of ownership. They were probably nervous about teling you previously in case you backed out.