Unhappy Norton depositors
Unhappy Norton depositors
Author
Discussion

Trevora

Original Poster:

31 posts

236 months

Monday 7th December 2020
quotequote all
I'm looking to make contact with other depositors of Norton motorcycles prior to the company going into administration last year. Specifically the Norton Street Dominator limited edition? I am not pleased with the option being offered from the new Norton company which some would say (probably rightly so) that I should be thankful for any offer given the prospect of loosing everything 12 months ago. However, some perspective from other customers of Norton that are unhappy with the outcome of the promise made from the new Norton motorcycle company would be greatly appreciated.

Harvey mush man

110 posts

175 months

Monday 7th December 2020
quotequote all
I'd be happy to talk to you. I covered the story extensively on SuperBike.co.uk and am still very much in touch with the story. I have extensive contacts, including other customers who have placed deposits or paid in full for bikes. Drop me a line at John@superbike.co.uk and I'll gladly share any relevant information with you.

Krikkit

27,938 posts

211 months

Monday 7th December 2020
quotequote all
Out of interest what options are given? I thought TVS had committed to either building or refund?

Edited by Krikkit on Monday 7th December 14:58

Harvey mush man

110 posts

175 months

Monday 7th December 2020
quotequote all
As John Russell stated in the interview I did with him back in May, there is no contractual obligation for TVS to provide refunds to any of the Garner era customers. TVS has committed to honouring deposits where customers choose to take the bike (rather than a refund). I spoke to him a couple of weeks ago about this very subject and he informed me that if a customer chooses a refund, they'll join the list of creditors with the BDO. Here's the interview I mentioned.

https://www.superbike.co.uk/article/john-russell-i...

Steve Bass

10,753 posts

263 months

Monday 7th December 2020
quotequote all
So, easy decision.


TAKE THE BIKE!!!!!

Rustytossa

Original Poster:

31 posts

236 months

Monday 7th December 2020
quotequote all
The bike I ordered was a Street Dominator, I'm being offered a Commando. Same engine but a very different bike and a different price tag too. Better than a poke in the eye but not what I expected and the only alternative being offered by Norton is to join the list of unsecured creditors and keep your fingers crossed. I have offered to pay more money for a Street Dominator, I have asked for a credit note to use in the future, both have been refused. I wondered what others have been offered as there are 40 Commandos being built.

Rustytossa

Original Poster:

31 posts

236 months

Monday 7th December 2020
quotequote all
Steve Bass said:
So, easy decision.


TAKE THE BIKE!!!!!
I'm leaning towards this decision. When you have your heart set on a Street Dominator the Commando comes up short but not as short as nothing.

Steve Bass

10,753 posts

263 months

Monday 7th December 2020
quotequote all
Rustytossa said:
I'm leaning towards this decision. When you have your heart set on a Street Dominator the Commando comes up short but not as short as nothing.
And then sell it straight away, zero miles. Being on the creditor list is going to get you nothing.
Sell the Commando and take a watching brief to see how things develop. If there's no Dominator on the table, you're really not going to get anything better.
Or if you decide against, what's your (probable) loss as an unsecured creditor vs the (potential) loss when selling on the Commando.....

Edited by Steve Bass on Monday 7th December 15:58

Turn7

25,753 posts

251 months

Monday 7th December 2020
quotequote all
OP, John @ Superbike (harvey mush man on here) has been all over this, he will know more than anyone the best options.

Wacky Racer

41,390 posts

277 months

Monday 7th December 2020
quotequote all
Take the Commando and sell it, not ideal, but better than ending up with zilch.

Harvey mush man

110 posts

175 months

Tuesday 8th December 2020
quotequote all
Turn7 said:
OP, John @ Superbike (harvey mush man on here) has been all over this, he will know more than anyone the best options.
Thanks for the leg up. I've just emailed a few questions regarding Dominator and Commando deposits and orders to John Russell. I'll feedback when he comes back to me.

Gizmo750

31 posts

221 months

Tuesday 8th December 2020
quotequote all
@Harvey mush man - John, are you able to give any insight into any updates to the whole sorry saga? Is there more to come as it feels like things have gone very quiet and Mr Garner has slithered off into hiding.

Edited by Gizmo750 on Tuesday 8th December 10:20

Harvey mush man

110 posts

175 months

Tuesday 8th December 2020
quotequote all
Gizmo750 said:
@Harvey mush man - John, are you able to give any insight into any updates to the whole sorry saga? Is there more to come as it feels like things have gone very quiet and Mr Garner has slithered off into hiding.

Edited by Gizmo750 on Tuesday 8th December 10:20
I still work on the Norton story every day. I've shied away from publishing a few pieces because I started feeling like people were getting bored of just hearing the same old (negative) story about Garner era Norton. There's still plenty to say and I'll publish on it again before long.

Rustytossa

Original Poster:

31 posts

236 months

Tuesday 8th December 2020
quotequote all
anonymous said:
[redacted]
I paid in full £22k for the street dominator so I have little choice other than to accept the offer. My thoughts were, am I the only one being offered the Commando in place of a Dominator or were there others.

J B L

4,217 posts

245 months

Tuesday 8th December 2020
quotequote all
Where's Garner these days?

Hasn't he raided the pension pot? You'd think he'd have been invited to remain at one of her Majesty's properties if so.

Rustytossa

Original Poster:

31 posts

236 months

Friday 11th December 2020
quotequote all
anonymous said:
[redacted]
Unfortunately not, the truth is I really want the Dominator I ordered and have even offered to pay more to have it built. I have asked to have my "deposit" held as a credit note to use in the future and I have asked to sit down and discuss the options with the management. The last thing I actually want is my money back, I really feel for Norton and all that it has been through. So my options are limited hence the reason for this post to try and get a few people in a similar position who would join me in talking to Norton. I feel like I've gone to the sweet shop for chocolates, ordered and paid for them only to be told cough candy has replaced the chocolate and I will like it because the shop keeper knows better than me what I will like!