100% Reliable Chimaera to Tuscan shall I do it??
Discussion
That is the question that is burning away at me at the moment I have seen a lovely Tuscan that I want at HL Gorners & have gone through the details with Mike the only thing that is nagging at the back of my mind is the engine reliability issues. I would get a warranty with it but it only has a £2k per claim limit which I know would not cover the engine if the worse happened.
The car is a May 02 4lt in Rolex Blue & I am so tempted .
The only other thing that suprised me sitting in the car is my head was touching the roof or pillar unless I removed the cushion from the seat & I am not unusually tall (6ft) is this normal as I have lots of room in the Chim?
Any thoughts appreciated as I have got over the hardest hurdles (Persuading the Mrs) & am now only left with my own slight doubts.
Thanks
Howard.
The car is a May 02 4lt in Rolex Blue & I am so tempted .
The only other thing that suprised me sitting in the car is my head was touching the roof or pillar unless I removed the cushion from the seat & I am not unusually tall (6ft) is this normal as I have lots of room in the Chim?
Any thoughts appreciated as I have got over the hardest hurdles (Persuading the Mrs) & am now only left with my own slight doubts.
Thanks
Howard.
Understandable dilemna as a reliable TVR is worth sticking with. However fully understand the heart saying Tuscan.
The boring suggestion would be to spend another 12 months saving so you can buy an even newer car or have a kitty with which to fund unforeseen maintenance. Not sure I could manage that myself though and you might lose what you save on Chim maintenance or depreciation.
In my experience the decison is made at once - you want the Tuscan. The time spent in contemplation is trying to justify the decision to yourself.
So that'll be the Tuscan then.....;-)
LF
The boring suggestion would be to spend another 12 months saving so you can buy an even newer car or have a kitty with which to fund unforeseen maintenance. Not sure I could manage that myself though and you might lose what you save on Chim maintenance or depreciation.
In my experience the decison is made at once - you want the Tuscan. The time spent in contemplation is trying to justify the decision to yourself.
So that'll be the Tuscan then.....;-)
LF
kippax said:
Any thoughts appreciated as I have got over the hardest hurdles (Persuading the Mrs) & am now only left with my own slight doubts.
I can't answer the question but I can offer two suggestions:
If Mrs Kippax drinks, bring it up in conversation after a good few, this will make the negotiation process run much smoother
For my two bobs worth I would only contemplate buying a S6 car if you are financially comfortable with paying what it costs for a rebuid should the need arise. To save getting slaughtered by the owners who have never had an single S6 problem (not sure of the percentage) I will say just in case you are the only one that turns out to be unlucky.
All down to how much you want to commit to running a car really.
I'm with Beano on this one, if you've got the reddies and have found a nice tidy car, do it.
It's a very good point that Ribol makes - make sure there are enough pennies sitting in the slush fund in case the worst does happen. They're fantastic machines but the reliability issues can't be totally ignored...
It's a very good point that Ribol makes - make sure there are enough pennies sitting in the slush fund in case the worst does happen. They're fantastic machines but the reliability issues can't be totally ignored...
beano500 said:
Thought I'd replied...
Who's been cross-dressing?
Er, I mean, cross posting
Anyway: they obviously don't think much of your idea in the Tuscan Bar!

i feel exactly the same, got a really nice chim with no real reliability problems to date BUT i really really want the looks of a tuscan
i can afford one of the early ones, regular running costs aren't much more than the chim...
its just that damn engine!! arrghh...
okay i'm aware that the only real reason i can afford one is probably due to the increased risk of the motor, but thats beside the point
i can afford one of the early ones, regular running costs aren't much more than the chim...
its just that damn engine!! arrghh...
okay i'm aware that the only real reason i can afford one is probably due to the increased risk of the motor, but thats beside the point

I'm going through the same dilemma, once that seed of thought has been planted it's difficult to shake. I may live to regret the change, after spending a few years getting to know the chim and sorting out 'niggles', but is does not seem to be a wholly rational process going on in my head...
Gassing Station | Chimaera | Top of Page | What's New | My Stuff



JFDI
It's like Jekyll and Hyde
