Bookings and deposits - verbal agreements
Discussion
The Christmas and New Year period are prime holiday times and I took a 2 week house sitting booking 16-30/12/16 way back in August. I have asked for a holding deposit to the client many times which hasn't been forthcoming. Though they expect me to honour the booking.
I've emailed them again this evening to check whether they still want me to cover their holiday plans, and to instigate another meeting for details to be finalised and the deposit to be paid. I'm getting a bit fed up with their delaying tactics ( 2 weeks half term school holiday is now 3 weeks from last email) and would be happy to suggest they find someone else.
I have a more prestiguous client that I've had to turn down because I've previously agreed to this booking - and would like to say to them I'll cover them instead. I'm wondering where I stand re verbal agreements even if deposits haven't been taken.
I often have clients cancel at short notice and don't charge them anything. I had a booking for next week cancelled as the dog died, so it happens quite often - but obviously I turn down other work as I'm already booked. A couple of years ago I had the whole month of August booked only to be cancelled at short notice without any recompense.
I think I need to be a bit more strict with my 'booking deposit' conditions, any suggestions as to the best way to structure this?
( dog walking/pet sitter business)
I've emailed them again this evening to check whether they still want me to cover their holiday plans, and to instigate another meeting for details to be finalised and the deposit to be paid. I'm getting a bit fed up with their delaying tactics ( 2 weeks half term school holiday is now 3 weeks from last email) and would be happy to suggest they find someone else.
I have a more prestiguous client that I've had to turn down because I've previously agreed to this booking - and would like to say to them I'll cover them instead. I'm wondering where I stand re verbal agreements even if deposits haven't been taken.
I often have clients cancel at short notice and don't charge them anything. I had a booking for next week cancelled as the dog died, so it happens quite often - but obviously I turn down other work as I'm already booked. A couple of years ago I had the whole month of August booked only to be cancelled at short notice without any recompense.
I think I need to be a bit more strict with my 'booking deposit' conditions, any suggestions as to the best way to structure this?
( dog walking/pet sitter business)
They have replied to my email saying they've been meaning to get back to me and asking when I can meet them and dogs for a morning walk - so I've suggested this Friday morning as a meet up at their house rather than a walk.
Owners often think that I should be happy to look after their dogs free of charge and perhaps even pay them for the privilege of staying in their home. Me saying that's not how I work takes some persuasion for them to think otherwise.
Owners often think that I should be happy to look after their dogs free of charge and perhaps even pay them for the privilege of staying in their home. Me saying that's not how I work takes some persuasion for them to think otherwise.
FWIW for my holiday rental business, I send the enquirer a booking form with my T&Cs, when I write to confirm their provisional booking. I then tell them that when I have both their signed booking form and their non-refundable deposit, I will write back and confirm their reservation. I then take their full payment several weeks before the start of their booking.
In my opinion, it I is very important to be business like, telephone calls don't really mean that much other than reassuring your client. Goodwill is in very short supply these days. Presumably, the website has references, so what more do they really need, especially as you are willing to meet?
In my opinion, it I is very important to be business like, telephone calls don't really mean that much other than reassuring your client. Goodwill is in very short supply these days. Presumably, the website has references, so what more do they really need, especially as you are willing to meet?
I obviously need to have a proper 'terms and conditions' page on my website...and give it to new clients in paper form for them to sign. I have shied away from that as the very nature of my business is based on trust.
This morning's meet didn't happen as there was no reply to my email until I'd left to walk my regular dog. I've now replied to it and arranged to meet them next Friday morning.
Having thought about it, I'm not sure I like to do the 'terms and conditions'.
This morning's meet didn't happen as there was no reply to my email until I'd left to walk my regular dog. I've now replied to it and arranged to meet them next Friday morning.
Having thought about it, I'm not sure I like to do the 'terms and conditions'.
Seems to me they're not serious. And if they're this bad at paying the deposit, will they pay the balance? Perhaps you don't need customers like this.
Dear X,
I have attempted many times since August to secure a deposit to confirm your verbal booking (dates). Unfortunately none has been succeesful so I write to advise you that unless I receive the deposit of £x by (date) I will accept alternative bookings.
Yours etc.
Dear X,
I have attempted many times since August to secure a deposit to confirm your verbal booking (dates). Unfortunately none has been succeesful so I write to advise you that unless I receive the deposit of £x by (date) I will accept alternative bookings.
Yours etc.
Much as that should be the response it's not that simple when you live in a village and everyone knows you as the local dog walker/house sitter. I'll wait and see what happens next Friday morning - I've said I want to sort out all the arrangements for the booking then as well as to reintroduce myself to all their pets.
What will happen is I won't be available for them to book for future holidays they need cover for.
What will happen is I won't be available for them to book for future holidays they need cover for.
Being business-like is the important part, it doesn't really matter if you are putting things in writing or not. If you've told them that the booking is not confirmed until you have received £XXX deposit then you are fine to take the booking from your other client, they've had enough chasing; if you haven't been clear about this then tell them now so they understand.
Some people try running a business but feel that money is a dirty subject to discuss with their clients, being open and very clear simply means everyone knows where they stand, most customers will appreciate this and the ones that don't are the ones looking for an opportunity to gain an advantage so you don't want to work for them anyway.
If people think they are doing you a favour allowing you to stay in their homes they are not the customers you want and I'd agree with the comment that if it's hard getting the deposit it will be a lot worse trying to get the final payment - especially if you let it slide until after the trip.
Some people try running a business but feel that money is a dirty subject to discuss with their clients, being open and very clear simply means everyone knows where they stand, most customers will appreciate this and the ones that don't are the ones looking for an opportunity to gain an advantage so you don't want to work for them anyway.
If people think they are doing you a favour allowing you to stay in their homes they are not the customers you want and I'd agree with the comment that if it's hard getting the deposit it will be a lot worse trying to get the final payment - especially if you let it slide until after the trip.
condor said:
Much as that should be the response it's not that simple when you live in a village and everyone knows you as the local dog walker/house sitter. I'll wait and see what happens next Friday morning - I've said I want to sort out all the arrangements for the booking then as well as to reintroduce myself to all their pets.
What will happen is I won't be available for them to book for future holidays they need cover for.
If you live in a violate then go see them! Tell them you're turning work away and do they want to confirm or not?What will happen is I won't be available for them to book for future holidays they need cover for.
Steve H said:
Being business-like is the important part, it doesn't really matter if you are putting things in writing or not. If you've told them that the booking is not confirmed until you have received £XXX deposit then you are fine to take the booking from your other client, they've had enough chasing; if you haven't been clear about this then tell them now so they understand.
Some people try running a business but feel that money is a dirty subject to discuss with their clients, being open and very clear simply means everyone knows where they stand, most customers will appreciate this and the ones that don't are the ones looking for an opportunity to gain an advantage so you don't want to work for them anyway.
If people think they are doing you a favour allowing you to stay in their homes they are not the customers you want and I'd agree with the comment that if it's hard getting the deposit it will be a lot worse trying to get the final payment - especially if you let it slide until after the trip.
I have done a house sit for them previously and it's usual for me to charge 1/2 the total amount at start of house sit and the rest is payable when the owners return. I haven't asked for deposits before for any of my clients, but this time as it's for 2 weeks over Christmas I did. I didn't say the booking was conditional on a deposit being paid, rather that I would need a deposit as it's such a prime time and I'm usually booked by regular clients for Christmas and New Year. I will know in future to say 'the booking is conditional on a deposit being paid'.Some people try running a business but feel that money is a dirty subject to discuss with their clients, being open and very clear simply means everyone knows where they stand, most customers will appreciate this and the ones that don't are the ones looking for an opportunity to gain an advantage so you don't want to work for them anyway.
If people think they are doing you a favour allowing you to stay in their homes they are not the customers you want and I'd agree with the comment that if it's hard getting the deposit it will be a lot worse trying to get the final payment - especially if you let it slide until after the trip.
Gassing Station | Business | Top of Page | What's New | My Stuff


