Buy a new MacBook Pro M1 now? Or wait?
Discussion
I currently have a 2018 13" MBP 2.3Ghz i5 8GB (the one just before they added the Touch Bar) which I use quite heavily every day for work.
Runs Big Sur OS.
I usually have it connected to two external displays, and it remains shut in a stand. Mostly gets used for spreadsheets, bit of minor CAD stuff, document editing, bit of photoshop stuff etc.
It has been brilliant for the last 3 years, but just recently it seems to be struggling slightly when I have loads of documents open, or am working on a massive spreadsheet with calculations. The fans are coming on more often, and just seems to be sluggish occasionally.
Is it worth upgrading to the M1 MBP now? or should I want until the new M1 MBP's allegedly appear later this year? Any ideas on if there will be much difference?
The connection to two external displays seems to be an issue with the M1, but I understand there is an easy way to solve this with a simple display link hub?
Thanks
Runs Big Sur OS.
I usually have it connected to two external displays, and it remains shut in a stand. Mostly gets used for spreadsheets, bit of minor CAD stuff, document editing, bit of photoshop stuff etc.
It has been brilliant for the last 3 years, but just recently it seems to be struggling slightly when I have loads of documents open, or am working on a massive spreadsheet with calculations. The fans are coming on more often, and just seems to be sluggish occasionally.
Is it worth upgrading to the M1 MBP now? or should I want until the new M1 MBP's allegedly appear later this year? Any ideas on if there will be much difference?
The connection to two external displays seems to be an issue with the M1, but I understand there is an easy way to solve this with a simple display link hub?
Thanks
If it’s any help, I’m waiting. The M1X /M2 can’t be far away now, and is rumoured to be significantly more powerful. 14” MBP built on that could be great. I’m still running a 2013 Pro, but waiting a while as I think the next iterations of the ‘M’ chips are going to be pretty spectacular.
There is a rumour, as always, that Apple might launch a new M1X chip in April in the new MacBookPro 14" - I'd wait until the April event has been and gone to see what they launch.
I have an M1 Mini and it's probably the best upgrade I've ever had, processing wise it's very powerful, it seems to steam through anything I give it and everything is very snappy and fast, even just opening and closing apps, web browsing etc. It is easily much more powerful/productive than my i7 4 core XPS 13, and best thing is it's not running Windows !
Having said wait, you could easily sell whatever you buy now for very good price in a years time if you wanted to, I sold a 2013 MacBook Air i5 dual core with 4GB memory and a 120GB SSD for £375 on eBay late last year - there's a big surge in people wanting Apple right now, or at least, wanting to get away from Windows.
I have an M1 Mini and it's probably the best upgrade I've ever had, processing wise it's very powerful, it seems to steam through anything I give it and everything is very snappy and fast, even just opening and closing apps, web browsing etc. It is easily much more powerful/productive than my i7 4 core XPS 13, and best thing is it's not running Windows !
Having said wait, you could easily sell whatever you buy now for very good price in a years time if you wanted to, I sold a 2013 MacBook Air i5 dual core with 4GB memory and a 120GB SSD for £375 on eBay late last year - there's a big surge in people wanting Apple right now, or at least, wanting to get away from Windows.
Yep. This is why I'm hesitant.
If the M1X/M2 comes out in the next couple of months I will be kicking myself for not waiting!
I'm of the opinion that the M1 is brand new tech, and probably always best to wait for the Mk 2 version of anything. That being said, I haven't heard anything bad about the M1, everyone saying it is a revolution over the Intel processors.
Not sure how I feel about a 14" MBP. For me, 13" is the sweet spot for portability and usability. Mine spends 90% of its life closed in a dock, and is only used open when I'm out and about in client offices.
All my 'luggage' is for a 13" laptop, so thats a bit of a pisser
Not a deal breaker though.
Edited to add: I have just read on a couple of Mac rumours pages that the new 14" will likely be almost the same physical size as the 13", but they've expanded the screen by reducing the size of the black bezel area. If true, thats fantastic.
A 14" screen with the form size of the old 13" laptop. Win win.
If the M1X/M2 comes out in the next couple of months I will be kicking myself for not waiting!
I'm of the opinion that the M1 is brand new tech, and probably always best to wait for the Mk 2 version of anything. That being said, I haven't heard anything bad about the M1, everyone saying it is a revolution over the Intel processors.
Not sure how I feel about a 14" MBP. For me, 13" is the sweet spot for portability and usability. Mine spends 90% of its life closed in a dock, and is only used open when I'm out and about in client offices.
All my 'luggage' is for a 13" laptop, so thats a bit of a pisser

Not a deal breaker though.
Edited to add: I have just read on a couple of Mac rumours pages that the new 14" will likely be almost the same physical size as the 13", but they've expanded the screen by reducing the size of the black bezel area. If true, thats fantastic.
A 14" screen with the form size of the old 13" laptop. Win win.
Edited by anonymous-user on Thursday 25th March 13:14
Ming-Ching Kuo, who more often than not correctly predicts changes to Apple’s products, has said the new M1X-equipped MacBooks, expected to launch later this year, will no longer have the Touch Bar, re-introduce MagSafe and carry more ports.
Even without the expected improvement from M1X, the additional ports and removal of Touch Bar would make it worth waiting for before making a decision.
Even without the expected improvement from M1X, the additional ports and removal of Touch Bar would make it worth waiting for before making a decision.
OrdinaryConcept said:
Ming-Ching Kuo, who more often than not correctly predicts changes to Apple’s products, has said the new M1X-equipped MacBooks, expected to launch later this year, will no longer have the Touch Bar, re-introduce MagSafe and carry more ports.
Even without the expected improvement from M1X, the additional ports and removal of Touch Bar would make it worth waiting for before making a decision.
Interesting.Even without the expected improvement from M1X, the additional ports and removal of Touch Bar would make it worth waiting for before making a decision.
If it features an updated M1 chip, more ports, and a physical redesign, that would be enough for me to wait a few months.
OrdinaryConcept said:
Ming-Ching Kuo, who more often than not correctly predicts changes to Apple’s products, has said the new M1X-equipped MacBooks, expected to launch later this year, will no longer have the Touch Bar, re-introduce MagSafe and carry more ports.
Even without the expected improvement from M1X, the additional ports and removal of Touch Bar would make it worth waiting for before making a decision.
I saw the same and am waiting for this reason too. Im pleased I got my intel iMac this time last year rather than wait on that but for the MacBook im happy to wait.Even without the expected improvement from M1X, the additional ports and removal of Touch Bar would make it worth waiting for before making a decision.
LordGrover said:
I'm also waiting, not just the improved/faster processor but hoping for redesign esp. thinner bezel.
And ports. I'm really hoping the rumoured HDMI & SD slots are going to be making an appearance. The SD Slot especially - it makes a good way to expand your SSD space, which could be why Apple killed it in the first place.Challenging one.....
My old Intel Pro was on its last legs but managed to make it last until the M1 arrived. If you need a new one right now, buy the M1, if your existing Mac does everything you need it to then wait.
With tech there will always be another new version in a few months time. I have a M1 Pro that I picked up just after launch and its so fast compared to my old Mac and the new i5 HP laptop work have just sent me so happy to recommend the current M1 if you need to change.
My old Intel Pro was on its last legs but managed to make it last until the M1 arrived. If you need a new one right now, buy the M1, if your existing Mac does everything you need it to then wait.
With tech there will always be another new version in a few months time. I have a M1 Pro that I picked up just after launch and its so fast compared to my old Mac and the new i5 HP laptop work have just sent me so happy to recommend the current M1 if you need to change.
Lord Marylebone said:
It has been brilliant for the last 3 years, but just recently it seems to be struggling slightly when I have loads of documents open, or am working on a massive spreadsheet with calculations. The fans are coming on more often, and just seems to be sluggish occasionally.
What sized spread sheets are you talking about? My 2013 MBP still runs fine for CVS files 2 gigs in size.If its a recent change has Big Sir installed any unwanted software or as some mentioned the fans may just need cleaning.
A 2018 MBP really shouldn't need upgrading to manage database/spreadsheet work, the CPU should be more than good enough.
Magnum 475 said:
LordGrover said:
I'm also waiting, not just the improved/faster processor but hoping for redesign esp. thinner bezel.
And ports. I'm really hoping the rumoured HDMI & SD slots are going to be making an appearance. The SD Slot especially - it makes a good way to expand your SSD space, which could be why Apple killed it in the first place.Aside from being a tightwad, this is part of the reason for me continuing to rock the 2014 MBPr - peak Apple, in my mind, Removing all those ports and forcing those ‘pro’ users into dongle hell was pretty rubbish, imho!
gangzoom said:
What sized spread sheets are you talking about? My 2013 MBP still runs fine for CVS files 2 gigs in size.
If its a recent change has Big Sir installed any unwanted software or as some mentioned the fans may just need cleaning.
A 2018 MBP really shouldn't need upgrading to manage database/spreadsheet work, the CPU should be more than good enough.
The biggest spreadsheets would be around 40-50mb Excel files, but filled with macros/calculations. If I accidentally hit 'recalculate' or leave 'auto calculate' on and do not cancel it, it would chug away for probably 10 mins to recalculate everything.If its a recent change has Big Sir installed any unwanted software or as some mentioned the fans may just need cleaning.
A 2018 MBP really shouldn't need upgrading to manage database/spreadsheet work, the CPU should be more than good enough.
It's a few minor things I have noticed.
Before Big Sur, it would zip along quite well all the time with the exception of recalculating big spreadsheets as mentioned.
When I went to install Big Sur in February, I had a massive clean up, deleted heaps of files/documents, uninstalled any software that wasn't vital or being used daily, and just tidied up.
After Big Sur, I started noticing it hesitating and not loading software as quickly, getting the spinning beachball here and there like it was saying "don't rush me'.
I now also have a problem with the mouse lagging. I use a Magic Mouse II and and a Magic Keyboard, both of which are only 10 months old maybe. Sometimes when I'm using the mouse, it takes the laptop a second to react to movement and the pointer jerks across the screen in a slight delay to me moving the mouse, like it is trying to catch up.
So yeah, not sure what advice there is to sort it, but it just seems to have become a tiny bit laggy here and there during normal operations.
My last MacBook Pro was 8 years old before I decided it had become sluggish.
Have a read of this first before buying a new M1 MacBook.
https://www.hebergementwebs.com/computing/m1-mac-g...
https://www.hebergementwebs.com/computing/m1-mac-g...
Gassing Station | Computers, Gadgets & Stuff | Top of Page | What's New | My Stuff


