Using a new IPad mini now or wait?
Using a new IPad mini now or wait?
Author
Discussion

ACCYSTAN

Original Poster:

1,380 posts

151 months

Sunday 4th April 2021
quotequote all
Hi,
I am in the market for at least 2 new iPad minis.
I Normally buy them from John Lewis due to the 2 year warranty.
However, speaking to the IT guy in work, he tells me Apple are likely to bring out a new iPad mini this year.

So the question is, do I buy the current iPad now?
Wait for the new one to come out and go for it?
Will the existing iPad mini be reduced when the new one is announced?


Heres Johnny

8,194 posts

154 months

Monday 5th April 2021
quotequote all
I’m in a similar position, my current one in over 5 years old and slowly dying so I’m looking to get a new one. There were a few smallish discounts on the current iPad mini around when I looked a month ago, and the rumours were a new one would arrive in March but that’s not happened so I’m not sure what to think. I’m hanging on until I have to change or the new one arrives, I think Oct is the other normal window when Apple release products but times aren’t normal (if it’s not Covid it’s chip shortages) so I guess it could be anytime. Not the most helpful response I’m afraid.

ACCYSTAN

Original Poster:

1,380 posts

151 months

Monday 5th April 2021
quotequote all
I forgot about the chip shortages

It’s fair to assume this will have a knock on effect

jimmythingy

317 posts

92 months

Monday 5th April 2021
quotequote all
I have the current IPad mini 5 that I bought last June, I have no complaints with speed or display but it is an old fashioned looking thing now compared to other tablets with its wide bezels.

I still think it stands up against any of the other tablets in the market currently but I don’t watch movies on it so it maybe an unfair comparison.

sjg

7,681 posts

295 months

Monday 5th April 2021
quotequote all
It is due an update and the rumours are same design (touch ID, etc) just a CPU update. Nothing groundbreaking.

The current one has an A12, supports the Apple Pencil, etc. Much the same spec-wise as the basic iPad. It’s plenty fast enough for anything you’re likely to do.

So I’d just buy now if you need it now - and (as always) something newer and faster is around the corner if you can wait.

ajprice

33,484 posts

226 months

Monday 5th April 2021
quotequote all
The next Apple event (WWDC) has been announced, the dates are June 7th-11th.
https://www.macworld.com/article/230957/apples-eve...

BobToc

2,031 posts

147 months

ACCYSTAN

Original Poster:

1,380 posts

151 months

Monday 5th April 2021
quotequote all
Thank you for the links

CorradoTDI

1,835 posts

201 months

Monday 5th April 2021
quotequote all
For the sake of a few weeks I'd definitely wait...

It looks like (from the rumours) that they've put a bit of thought into the new one rather than just upgrade the existing form factor.

ACCYSTAN

Original Poster:

1,380 posts

151 months

Wednesday 21st April 2021
quotequote all
Have apple announced a new iPad mini?

cobra kid

5,596 posts

270 months

Thursday 22nd April 2021
quotequote all
Maybe look at the Apple website?

GranpaB

20,094 posts

66 months

Thursday 22nd April 2021
quotequote all
biggrin

Heres Johnny

8,194 posts

154 months

Thursday 22nd April 2021
quotequote all
No, and the pundits ive read are thinking it’s less likely, at least this year.

Bit disappointed