Am i within my rights to reject this car?
Am i within my rights to reject this car?
Author
Discussion

fjord

Original Poster:

2,143 posts

167 months

Wednesday 21st November 2012
quotequote all
I went to look at a car recently. It was a 320d and i liked it, and paid a deposit.

It had a few things wrong with it. Mainly, it had an engine light on, but the car drove fine. It had a few things it failed it's most recent MoT on, and it needed a little bit of paintwork doing to it. Despite these issues, it did seem like a nice car, and i liked it, so agreed a sale. I also got a lot more for my part-ex than i had been offered elsewhere, so was happy to use this additional cash to put anything right myself when i picked it up. I must admit, i was a little cautious, and i knew it was a git of a gamble, but the figures were right, and i wasn't spending huge amounts of money so took the punt.

I knew a lot needed doing, they said they would like to keep the car for about a week and a half to make sure everything was sorted. To my mind, this seemed reasonable.

I got a call last Friday from the salesman, stating it might be ready this week. It's now Wednesday, and i've not had a call. I expect a call on friday offering another stall.

I view/drove and paid the deposit for this car (albeit a small deposit) 3 weeks this Sunday.

Unless he rings me in the next 2 days telling me i can collect this weekend, I assume i can legally tell him to fk off and to refund my deposit?

kentmotorcompany

2,471 posts

240 months

Wednesday 21st November 2012
quotequote all
Why don't you just call them?

Explain that you are keen to get the car ASAP and remind them of the points you agreed and what you are expecting to see when you pick it up, and ask for a reliable timescale.

Its in the dealers interests to get the car paid for and picked up ASAP. Quite often they are delayed by third party contractors. But it falls down when they sound like excuses when explaining any delays.

Personally I always prep my cars prior to sale, to save all this hassle and get the cars picked up quick. Often on the day of sale.
Lots of dealers don't prep the cars in advance in case they have to trade them on if they don't sell and they save money by not prepping them until sold.

Have you got something in writing agreeing exactly what prep will be done and when? If not I don't think you can expect your deposit back.

Podie

46,649 posts

305 months

Wednesday 21st November 2012
quotequote all
kentmotorcompany said:
Personally I always prep my cars prior to sale, ...
The professional way to do things IMO. Nothing more annoying that looking at a car for sale, that isn't ready to be sold.


OP - call them.

fjord

Original Poster:

2,143 posts

167 months

Wednesday 21st November 2012
quotequote all
kentmotorcompany said:
Why don't you just call them?

Explain that you are keen to get the car ASAP and remind them of the points you agreed and what you are expecting to see when you pick it up, and ask for a reliable timescale.

Its in the dealers interests to get the car paid for and picked up ASAP. Quite often they are delayed by third party contractors. But it falls down when they sound like excuses when explaining any delays.

Personally I always prep my cars prior to sale, to save all this hassle and get the cars picked up quick. Often on the day of sale.
Lots of dealers don't prep the cars in advance in case they have to trade them on if they don't sell and they save money by not prepping them until sold.

Have you got something in writing agreeing exactly what prep will be done and when? If not I don't think you can expect your deposit back.
I have it in writing what they need to do to the car, however the timescale agreement was verbal.

c4grand

5 posts

167 months

Wednesday 21st November 2012
quotequote all
Yep just pick up the phone and call them.

Most used car order forms (I am assuming you have got one?) state what is to be done, how much you are paying and an approx delivery / collection date.
If the form is of standard wording it will likely say that the dealer cannot be held responsible for any delays or losses incurred by the purchaser (you) but that they will do their best to deliver on time if they can!

Obviously it's in the dealers interest to get the car to you so he can get paid! So call and find out whats not done yet and then stipulaste that as long as delivered by .....the deal is still on but if it goes beyond that you will expect you deposit back.

Good luck and don't forget most dealers are also decent human beings as well!

dapearson

4,456 posts

254 months

Wednesday 21st November 2012
quotequote all
c4grand said:
...
Good luck and don't forget most dealers are also decent human beings as well!
hehe

fjord

Original Poster:

2,143 posts

167 months

Wednesday 21st November 2012
quotequote all
Well, i'm not going to ring them, he promised me a call this week and he can stick by it. I'll let you know what is said when/if he rings.

JungleJim

2,426 posts

242 months

Wednesday 21st November 2012
quotequote all
fjord said:
Well, i'm not going to ring them, he promised me a call this week and he can stick by it. I'll let you know what is said when/if he rings.
That definitely seems like the quickest way to resolve the issue.

anonymous-user

84 months

Wednesday 21st November 2012
quotequote all
fjord said:
Well, i'm not going to ring them, he promised me a call this week and he can stick by it. I'll let you know what is said when/if he rings.
do you resolve all the dramas in your life by burying your head in the sand? for all you know he may have lost your number?!?!

big_boz

1,685 posts

237 months

Wednesday 21st November 2012
quotequote all
fjord said:
Well, i'm not going to ring them, he promised me a call this week and he can stick by it. I'll let you know what is said when/if he rings.
Yet another seemingly pointless Thread.....

Do you actually want to reject the car now? This would apparently be the case as are not willing to make a simple 5 minute phone call to find out the current status......

If so you are going to need to actually speak to the dealer to ask for your money back, and if he says no, rightly or wrongly, you may have a long and costly battle to get the deposit back, which you will have to endure and front the cost of.

I am pretty sure that Legally the deposit can not be withheld, but if you signed a contract stating that it will be then you will have to argue your way out of it, especially given that as you say, no written timescales were agreed with the dealer for delivery, so in effect the dealer hasn't actually done anything wrong....



Edited by big_boz on Wednesday 21st November 14:00

anonymous-user

84 months

Wednesday 21st November 2012
quotequote all
Time of performance is not of the essence in a contract for the sale of goods unless it is expressly stipulated to be so. What this means is that you could not lawfully reject the car just because the delivery is later than expected. You can, however, give a notice making time of the essence. Having said that, you would be far better off talking it through with the dealer, as suggested above.

CHN

2,358 posts

284 months

Wednesday 21st November 2012
quotequote all
Bloody hell, no offense but this seems to be a drama over nothing.

There are more important things in life to get your knickers in a twist about.

Give them a call for christs sake and find out.

300bhp/ton

41,030 posts

220 months

Wednesday 21st November 2012
quotequote all
fjord said:
Well, i'm not going to ring them, he promised me a call this week and he can stick by it. I'll let you know what is said when/if he rings.
Well that isn't a childish stance is it. Well done rolleyes

BTW - you not being proactive to help yourself will reduce your legal rights should it come down to it. For example, what if they've lost your number or have been phoning the wrong number? idea

Captain Muppet

8,540 posts

295 months

Wednesday 21st November 2012
quotequote all
I know what is causing the delay with the car.

But I'm not telling unless someone askes me nicely in person, because I'm a moody six year old.

And also I want ice-cream.

blueg33

46,544 posts

254 months

Wednesday 21st November 2012
quotequote all
FFS Op just call them!

If you are not proactive how do you actually manage tpo exist in this world!




Roo

11,504 posts

237 months

Wednesday 21st November 2012
quotequote all
big_boz said:
Do you actually want to reject the car now?
He can't reject it. He doesn't even own it yet, despite what the thread title says.

big_boz

1,685 posts

237 months

Wednesday 21st November 2012
quotequote all
Roo said:
He can't reject it. He doesn't even own it yet, despite what the thread title says.
Very true

Davel

8,982 posts

288 months

Wednesday 21st November 2012
quotequote all
Well if I was buying a car, I'd rather the dealer kept it a little bit longer and fixed everything, rather than pick it up and have issues later.

Just ring the dealer up and ask what's going on - before you decide where to go from here.

SMcP114

2,916 posts

222 months

Wednesday 21st November 2012
quotequote all
This thread is a wind up.

Rich A

248 posts

189 months

Wednesday 21st November 2012
quotequote all
The squeakiest wheel gets the oil, as they say.

Call them now and give them a realistic deadline like this weekend. Call them daily to make sure they are on track to deliver.