What would you do?
Discussion
I 'sold' a car to a guy last weekend, he couldn't take it away then so we agreed that he'd leave me a small deposit (~10%) and that he'd collect it this weekend.
I sent him a text on Wednesday to see when he planned on collecting the car and to offer to collect him from the train station. No response. So, I've called him each day since Wednesday and left a message as he's not answered his phone.
Granted, the snow could put people off making unnecessary journeys (if they're ghey) but there's no obvious explanation for the lack of communication.
Whilst the car is sitting there, I'm having to keep it insured and it's taking up valuable space. What would you do?
I sent him a text on Wednesday to see when he planned on collecting the car and to offer to collect him from the train station. No response. So, I've called him each day since Wednesday and left a message as he's not answered his phone.
Granted, the snow could put people off making unnecessary journeys (if they're ghey) but there's no obvious explanation for the lack of communication.
Whilst the car is sitting there, I'm having to keep it insured and it's taking up valuable space. What would you do?
If you agreed on collection and rest of cash this weekend, specifically, I'd be inclined to message him by all means possible to give him a further 7 days to collect and pay, or explain why t, then tell I'm it will be back up for sale.
If you sell it again, you can keep any 'loss' on the original sale price, so long as it is reasonable, eg re advertising costs, cleaning it and even the difference in price between the original sales price and what you end up selling it for.
You can cover these extra costs and get the same cash as you'd first agreed to sell it for to the other chap, but you can't be seen to have profited from his pulling out, if indeed this is what he's done. So on e you're back to the same position as you would have been had this guy not breached his contract with you, you need to give him the rest of the deposit (if there is any) back.
If you lose out at the end of it and his 10pc does not cover your additional costs and selling price diff, then technically you can sue him, but in practice it may be tricky to do.
If you sell it again, you can keep any 'loss' on the original sale price, so long as it is reasonable, eg re advertising costs, cleaning it and even the difference in price between the original sales price and what you end up selling it for.
You can cover these extra costs and get the same cash as you'd first agreed to sell it for to the other chap, but you can't be seen to have profited from his pulling out, if indeed this is what he's done. So on e you're back to the same position as you would have been had this guy not breached his contract with you, you need to give him the rest of the deposit (if there is any) back.
If you lose out at the end of it and his 10pc does not cover your additional costs and selling price diff, then technically you can sue him, but in practice it may be tricky to do.
I'd be a bit stronger on this - if he's ignoring you then he's obviously changed his mind and also doesnt expect his deposit back. I'd just text saying "Cant get hold of you so assume you dont want the car - it is now being readvertised". If he replies asking for his deposit back, tell him to do one - you're spending it on advertising and otehr costs!
Thanks. I think I'll let him know he needs to contact me by Wednesday, after which I'll re-advertise it.
I wouldn't mind hanging onto it a bit longer if I knew he still wanted it, but the absence of any communication has just left me in the dark completely.
If he does decide he's out, he can sing for his deposit back...I can probably justify it all against losses.
I wouldn't mind hanging onto it a bit longer if I knew he still wanted it, but the absence of any communication has just left me in the dark completely.
If he does decide he's out, he can sing for his deposit back...I can probably justify it all against losses.
Gassing Station | General Gassing | Top of Page | What's New | My Stuff


