Dilemma - Cancel M135i order or sell the Cayman R?
Discussion
Just a bit of background... I have 2 cars, one workhorse (Mini Cooper D at present) and one fun car which is my Cayman R
The workhorse is what I use for work and I claim business mileage which covers the cost of the car inc. running costs, deprectiation etc..(basically a free car).
My Mini is coming up 3 years old so decided to p/x for a new car and decided on M135i which I put a deposit down of £1000 4 weeks ago. The car is due to be delivered in a couple of weeks and is no longer spec changeable.
I got the news from work today that I no longer can claim business mileage using my own car and that I have to take the company car option with the amount of business mileage I do... I explained the situation with just putting deposit on new car with work and they are sympathetic enough to offer a refund of the £1000 if required even though it wasn't them who forced me to buy a new car!! Just bad timing I guess.
I'm now thinking that it's getting close to winter when my Cayman R doesn't get used much and is just plugged in to a battery conditioner for most of the 4 months over winter so wondering if it's time to perhaps sell the Cayman R either privately or to p/x both Mini (valuation already agreed) and Porsche (awaiting valuation) together and keep the M135i on order which I suspect i will get more use out of (albeit not as much fun)
The company car will just be some boring diesel I suspect so will still want a nice car to play with as second car...
Don't get me wrong... I absolutely adore my Cayamn R but I only get to use it 4k miles a year which is another reason I'm considering it!
Not sure what to do?
The workhorse is what I use for work and I claim business mileage which covers the cost of the car inc. running costs, deprectiation etc..(basically a free car).
My Mini is coming up 3 years old so decided to p/x for a new car and decided on M135i which I put a deposit down of £1000 4 weeks ago. The car is due to be delivered in a couple of weeks and is no longer spec changeable.
I got the news from work today that I no longer can claim business mileage using my own car and that I have to take the company car option with the amount of business mileage I do... I explained the situation with just putting deposit on new car with work and they are sympathetic enough to offer a refund of the £1000 if required even though it wasn't them who forced me to buy a new car!! Just bad timing I guess.
I'm now thinking that it's getting close to winter when my Cayman R doesn't get used much and is just plugged in to a battery conditioner for most of the 4 months over winter so wondering if it's time to perhaps sell the Cayman R either privately or to p/x both Mini (valuation already agreed) and Porsche (awaiting valuation) together and keep the M135i on order which I suspect i will get more use out of (albeit not as much fun)
The company car will just be some boring diesel I suspect so will still want a nice car to play with as second car...
Don't get me wrong... I absolutely adore my Cayamn R but I only get to use it 4k miles a year which is another reason I'm considering it!
Not sure what to do?
So get your £1000 back, let work give you a car and you have the Cayman R to play with out your own pocket.
Puts you in the same position you are now. Still enjoy the Cayman? Then keep it and use as you do now.
The BM, as good as they are will be no substitute for the Cayman. Plus how much will you lose selling the cayman?
Simple choice in my eyes.
Puts you in the same position you are now. Still enjoy the Cayman? Then keep it and use as you do now.
The BM, as good as they are will be no substitute for the Cayman. Plus how much will you lose selling the cayman?
Simple choice in my eyes.
I'd scrap the M135i idea and get work to refund the deposit and either keep the Cayman or given the limited mileage get something harder core like a Caterham.
I have a boggo 2.7 Cayman and an old 1.7 Ford X-flow powered Caterham 7 and for driving thrills the Caterham is in a totally different league. While I appreciate the Cayman R is significantly more special than mine I'd still be very surprised if it provided more driving thrills than £10k worth of Caterham like mine....
I have a boggo 2.7 Cayman and an old 1.7 Ford X-flow powered Caterham 7 and for driving thrills the Caterham is in a totally different league. While I appreciate the Cayman R is significantly more special than mine I'd still be very surprised if it provided more driving thrills than £10k worth of Caterham like mine....
mrdemon said:
the CR will not melt , I run mine every day all year round, best car I have owned.
God knows why you would want a BMW for winter, you will not be going out in it if it snows, useless things.
you own a 60k car drive the bloody thing :-)
I don't use it that much because most of the places I go to, I'm too scared to leave it parked up... Supermarket car parks, dodgy pubs etc... I normally use it when I just want a drive out and when it's winter it's usually quite rare..God knows why you would want a BMW for winter, you will not be going out in it if it snows, useless things.
you own a 60k car drive the bloody thing :-)
I see your point though... I should use it more

The BMW isn't just for winter per-say but as a car I can use for everything as it has that blend of practicality, fun when I need it (again albeit not as much as CR) and I can leave it in supermarket car parks, dodgy pubs etc.. and still have fun on the way there and home... I'd be too busy worrying when the CR is parked up... I hope you get my drift!! It's a "special" car to me... perhaps too "special".
Does seem as if it's a unanimous decision... perhaps as expected on a Porsche forum :lol:
As has been said - use the CR more. ('it won't melt'
)
My Spyder goes out no matter what time of the year or whatever the weather.
If I have to make a journey for whatever reason, and I only need the two seats (or I'm by myself) then I'll use the Spyder.
Great combination of a company car, however s
te it is, and a good Porsche.
Win win, I reckon.
)My Spyder goes out no matter what time of the year or whatever the weather.
If I have to make a journey for whatever reason, and I only need the two seats (or I'm by myself) then I'll use the Spyder.
Great combination of a company car, however s
te it is, and a good Porsche.Win win, I reckon.
mrdemon said:
Why do you drive to dodgy pubs ?
For one you cannot drink if you drive, for 2 why do you want to visit dodgy pubs ?
Lol
I leave mine any where and drive it every day, it's great for a daily and people give it the thumbs up most days and the 1 finger salute from the rest lol.
I play in local darts and pool league.. hence some dodgy pubs lolFor one you cannot drink if you drive, for 2 why do you want to visit dodgy pubs ?
Lol
I leave mine any where and drive it every day, it's great for a daily and people give it the thumbs up most days and the 1 finger salute from the rest lol.
I don't drink anyhow so not a problem!
BertBert said:
keep the cayman and get work to pay you the cash equivalent of the company car? have one brilliant car and just use it?
I checked this out and it would seem that the company policy is the cash option is only available to those whose business mileage is less than 7500 miles which mine isn't.I think I'm moving towards keeping the R and cancelling the BMW order.
Some of the knowledgeable guys on babybmw has informed me that I'm entitled my full deposit from the dealer as the finance agreement is cancelled before it started!
It's all down to the Consumer Credit Act - section 57. I believe you are still covered for this as the 2006 revision removed the upper limit (was previously £25k)
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/39/sectio...
Trading standards have issued various reports on this topic (can't find a link to hand sorry) but the basic message is:
If the deposit was taken as part of a sale which was to be completed via a finance agreement, then the deposit must be refunded if the finance agreement is cancelled.
They are legally entitled to take any 'loss' to them out of the deposit if they can demonstrate it, but they don't have any yet as the car has not arrived. It's completely illegal for them to withhold your deposit and to be honest I would be reporting them to trading standards for behaviour like that!
Gassing Station | Porsche General | Top of Page | What's New | My Stuff





