The old negotiating game...
Discussion
So, I've seen a Cayman I'm interested in buying which is for sale with a non-OPC dealership. The car has 6 months Porsche warranty left and also comes with the dealers own warranty, for what that's worth, but I have a few queries as to how to proceed with the negotiations.
Firstly, I thought the manufacturer's warranty was only transferable if the car was bought from an OPC or privately. However, it may be that the warranty was from new - would this be the case, as the car is 2.5 years old now?
Secondly, the car is a fair trek from me and whilst I've bought many cars from opposite ends of the country and sight-unseen I want to make sure that whatever work is needed (outside of warranty work) gets done. I've thought about asking them to put it through the 111 point check, even if I paid for it, and getting them to rectify anything that's picked up - is this generally an acceptable approach or would I be taking the piss a bit? Would I then be in a position to extend the warranty to 12 months or would I have to wait until it's due? And would I need another 111 point check at that point?
The price seems ok, not cheap but not way too high either, but I'm guessing that they would be expecting to be chipped back a bit. What's the general consensus for a percentage discount?
Any tips for proceeding would be appreciated!
Firstly, I thought the manufacturer's warranty was only transferable if the car was bought from an OPC or privately. However, it may be that the warranty was from new - would this be the case, as the car is 2.5 years old now?
Secondly, the car is a fair trek from me and whilst I've bought many cars from opposite ends of the country and sight-unseen I want to make sure that whatever work is needed (outside of warranty work) gets done. I've thought about asking them to put it through the 111 point check, even if I paid for it, and getting them to rectify anything that's picked up - is this generally an acceptable approach or would I be taking the piss a bit? Would I then be in a position to extend the warranty to 12 months or would I have to wait until it's due? And would I need another 111 point check at that point?
The price seems ok, not cheap but not way too high either, but I'm guessing that they would be expecting to be chipped back a bit. What's the general consensus for a percentage discount?
Any tips for proceeding would be appreciated!
The balance of the 3 years warranty will not be void imo.
Get it on a 111 check and make a offer, if it's a R with every thing you wished for I doubt it will be for sale long.
You have been waiting so long some times you just have to pay what people are asking.
I would be to discounting if I were a dealer with a r in the right spec.
Get it on a 111 check and make a offer, if it's a R with every thing you wished for I doubt it will be for sale long.
You have been waiting so long some times you just have to pay what people are asking.
I would be to discounting if I were a dealer with a r in the right spec.
mrdemon said:
The balance of the 3 years warranty will not be void imo.
Get it on a 111 check and make a offer, if it's a R with every thing you wished for I doubt it will be for sale long.
You have been waiting so long some times you just have to pay what people are asking.
I would be to discounting if I were a dealer with a r in the right spec.
So they come with 3 years warranty as standard? I thought it was just the 2 and hence me asking about whether it could be transferred.Get it on a 111 check and make a offer, if it's a R with every thing you wished for I doubt it will be for sale long.
You have been waiting so long some times you just have to pay what people are asking.
I would be to discounting if I were a dealer with a r in the right spec.
The spec is close but not perfect - no leather being the main thing but I looked at a couple of cars today without it and although with the leather it is certainly much better, I could live with it. As you know, there aren't many around with the leather, manual, buckets etc etc. Isn't it about time you had a change?

the 3rd year is a strange one when buying as it's inc in the price
but you can delete the 3rd year and buy the car cheaper.
So with that respect I would say a dealer CAN sell it with the balance of the 3 years warranty no problem.
I am tempted to sell mine and use a better car for work a Golf GTD and just keep the SPyder.
But the R is just so bloody good.
Best to phone Porsche CS and not a OPC to make sure.
but you can delete the 3rd year and buy the car cheaper.
So with that respect I would say a dealer CAN sell it with the balance of the 3 years warranty no problem.
I am tempted to sell mine and use a better car for work a Golf GTD and just keep the SPyder.
But the R is just so bloody good.
Best to phone Porsche CS and not a OPC to make sure.
Edited by mrdemon on Monday 10th March 13:47
Gassing Station | Porsche General | Top of Page | What's New | My Stuff


