Worth the wait for price drop?
Worth the wait for price drop?
Author
Discussion

Pebbles167

Original Poster:

4,572 posts

181 months

Sunday 30th March 2014
quotequote all
Hey guys, been on the forum for a little while now and I hardly ever post, a shame considering the amount of knowledge here. Since I currently have a fair bit of time on my hands, I aim to change that.

Anyway, recently I had a little (well massive actually) accident and the vehicle was a write off. Thus if I don't do something soon my first vehicle for the summer will be my company Fiat Doblo van, this will not do!

My budget is around £6k, and have wanted a BMW for a while. I'd like a 130i M Sport but alas only the SE is in budget. Would you guys advise buying something fun cheaper (ie: hot hatch) whilst I wait for the M Sport to drop, or will the SE be every bit as good?

Failing that, any recommendations for alternatives? I did consider a Z4 3.0i as neither fuel economy or space is that important. Also considered a Honda S2000... but don't fancy another smash just yet!

Any input would be great, I thank you all in advance. smile


anonymous-user

83 months

Sunday 30th March 2014
quotequote all
Drive the SE and see what you think, firmer suspension doesn't necessarily equal better depending on the roads you drive.

Pebbles167

Original Poster:

4,572 posts

181 months

Sunday 30th March 2014
quotequote all
Cheers for the reply smile

I don't need a car in the normal sense of the word as I have a company vehicle. The car would be used mostly for pleasure only, sunny evenings, weekends, day trips etc. Also on the odd track day (albeit taking it slightly easy) I've driven my boss's 318i M sport which I found more fun than a 320i SE which is what led me to asking about this. Plus I much prefer the M Sport trim bits.

McSam

6,753 posts

204 months

Sunday 30th March 2014
quotequote all
I think the SE will want for nothing on normal UK roads, and if you were going to drive really hard or do some track days, the M-sport version would still need some tweaks! I would happily buy an SE knowing full well I was getting 99% of the car for 80% of the price, the market is funny sometimes.

That said, if you were considering Z4 3.0is and don't need the space, get one of those instead biggrin really nice pieces of kit. S2000 would be worthy because even if you did stack it, you could very nearly buy another one and still be in budget...


ETA - Ah, you posted while I was writing. Track days on the cards, eh.. There was a very nice Carpool feature about a PHer with a 130i that he tracked regularly, have a look at that. He ended up wanting for heavy brake and suspension upgrades.

Edited by McSam on Sunday 30th March 22:04

Pebbles167

Original Poster:

4,572 posts

181 months

Sunday 30th March 2014
quotequote all
Hi there,

Great reply mate, looks like maybe ill be getting a BMW sooner rather than later! Ill take the first posters advice and have a test drive of both though I think.

And you're right about the S2000, I'm not a good enough driver to safely track it so would probably be after a replacement after an alarmingly short amount of time! rofl

Edit: Ta for the article smile