AMV8 problem, dealer taking head in sand approach
Discussion
After some advice on behalf of my father. Purchased a new 4.7 roadster on sep 5 of last yr. Used car on sep 8th, car cut out and wouldn't start. Called aston assist, tried to start it 15mins later (worked fine), so cancelled call out and drove home. Spoke to dealership, they had the car back, diagnosed no problem, car returned to us.
10 days later, driving down busy road in Birmingham at slow speed, cuts out again. Again wouldn't start, 5mins later problem gone and car starts. Dealership has car back again, diagnoses problem with air input (their terminology), fixed and returned. Assured problem wouldn't reoccur.
3 weeks later, same story. Same problem diagnosed, this time told parts have been changed, problem fixed.
Several weeks later, car cuts out on M5 motorway in roadworks section. Won't start, stuck in lane 2 for 5mins until car decides to start again. Dealership has car for a week, can't diagnose problem.
At this point my father informed the dealership (official AM dealership) that he's rejecting the car. Spoke to a few people in the trade who advised that in order show he was being reasonable, he would allow them one more chance to fix the car. Spoke to dealer principle, who agreed (verbally) to replace the car if the problem wasn't fixed. Car away for 4 weeks, we were advised that engineers were dispatched from the factory to inspect/fix the car.
Car returned 9th may, on 15th may, same issue. Car cut out on m4 motorway, nearly rear ended by an Audi. Fortunately the driver stopped, and once situation explained he gave his details in order to act as a witness.
I've driven the car a few times, over short distances. Stalls extremely easily, 8 times during one parking maneuver!As the dealer can't replicate the fault, they refuse to help. An independent sports car specialist has had a quick look at the car, and diagnosed a strange sound coming from the car when the clutch is engaged/disengaged.
The dealership refuses to listen, and are blaming the problem on 'driving style' (my father is a previous AMV8 owner, had no issues with his 4.3).
Dealership and Aston Martin now seem to be ignoring correspondence. My father has asked for a replacement (preferred option) or a refund.
Not sure where to turn next? And help/advise much appreciated!
10 days later, driving down busy road in Birmingham at slow speed, cuts out again. Again wouldn't start, 5mins later problem gone and car starts. Dealership has car back again, diagnoses problem with air input (their terminology), fixed and returned. Assured problem wouldn't reoccur.
3 weeks later, same story. Same problem diagnosed, this time told parts have been changed, problem fixed.
Several weeks later, car cuts out on M5 motorway in roadworks section. Won't start, stuck in lane 2 for 5mins until car decides to start again. Dealership has car for a week, can't diagnose problem.
At this point my father informed the dealership (official AM dealership) that he's rejecting the car. Spoke to a few people in the trade who advised that in order show he was being reasonable, he would allow them one more chance to fix the car. Spoke to dealer principle, who agreed (verbally) to replace the car if the problem wasn't fixed. Car away for 4 weeks, we were advised that engineers were dispatched from the factory to inspect/fix the car.
Car returned 9th may, on 15th may, same issue. Car cut out on m4 motorway, nearly rear ended by an Audi. Fortunately the driver stopped, and once situation explained he gave his details in order to act as a witness.
I've driven the car a few times, over short distances. Stalls extremely easily, 8 times during one parking maneuver!As the dealer can't replicate the fault, they refuse to help. An independent sports car specialist has had a quick look at the car, and diagnosed a strange sound coming from the car when the clutch is engaged/disengaged.
The dealership refuses to listen, and are blaming the problem on 'driving style' (my father is a previous AMV8 owner, had no issues with his 4.3).
Dealership and Aston Martin now seem to be ignoring correspondence. My father has asked for a replacement (preferred option) or a refund.
Not sure where to turn next? And help/advise much appreciated!
There was a thread like this a while back with a car going round corners and shorting out resulting in shut down. I think BR found the fault in about 5 mins.
If you want the car sorted (although it sounds like you don't) then take it to them and see what they say. It might cost in the short term but I'd write to AM and tell them your intention before hand, tell them that they have first refusal to find the defect, if they fail to or don't take you up on the offer and a defect is found, then you expect them to pay. Its a one way commit so if they don't respond it won't necessarily help you get the cash out of them, but its certainly not going to hurt. I generally refuse to use anything but email to correspond with the garage over issues as they invariably deny something later on which you can refer back to.
If you want the reject then list as detailed a time line as possible, in writing, to the dealer principal. Intermittent faults are a PIA though.
If you want the car sorted (although it sounds like you don't) then take it to them and see what they say. It might cost in the short term but I'd write to AM and tell them your intention before hand, tell them that they have first refusal to find the defect, if they fail to or don't take you up on the offer and a defect is found, then you expect them to pay. Its a one way commit so if they don't respond it won't necessarily help you get the cash out of them, but its certainly not going to hurt. I generally refuse to use anything but email to correspond with the garage over issues as they invariably deny something later on which you can refer back to.
If you want the reject then list as detailed a time line as possible, in writing, to the dealer principal. Intermittent faults are a PIA though.
Jon1967x said:
There was a thread like this a while back with a car going round corners and shorting out resulting in shut down. I think BR found the fault in about 5 mins.
If you want the car sorted (although it sounds like you don't) then take it to them and see what they say. It might cost in the short term but I'd write to AM and tell them your intention before hand, tell them that they have first refusal to find the defect, if they fail to or don't take you up on the offer and a defect is found, then you expect them to pay. Its a one way commit so if they don't respond it won't necessarily help you get the cash out of them, but its certainly not going to hurt. I generally refuse to use anything but email to correspond with the garage over issues as they invariably deny something later on which you can refer back to.
If you want the reject then list as detailed a time line as possible, in writing, to the dealer principal. Intermittent faults are a PIA though.
This one Jon?If you want the car sorted (although it sounds like you don't) then take it to them and see what they say. It might cost in the short term but I'd write to AM and tell them your intention before hand, tell them that they have first refusal to find the defect, if they fail to or don't take you up on the offer and a defect is found, then you expect them to pay. Its a one way commit so if they don't respond it won't necessarily help you get the cash out of them, but its certainly not going to hurt. I generally refuse to use anything but email to correspond with the garage over issues as they invariably deny something later on which you can refer back to.
If you want the reject then list as detailed a time line as possible, in writing, to the dealer principal. Intermittent faults are a PIA though.
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=3&a...
MollyGTi said:
Jon1967x said:
There was a thread like this a while back with a car going round corners and shorting out resulting in shut down. I think BR found the fault in about 5 mins.
If you want the car sorted (although it sounds like you don't) then take it to them and see what they say. It might cost in the short term but I'd write to AM and tell them your intention before hand, tell them that they have first refusal to find the defect, if they fail to or don't take you up on the offer and a defect is found, then you expect them to pay. Its a one way commit so if they don't respond it won't necessarily help you get the cash out of them, but its certainly not going to hurt. I generally refuse to use anything but email to correspond with the garage over issues as they invariably deny something later on which you can refer back to.
If you want the reject then list as detailed a time line as possible, in writing, to the dealer principal. Intermittent faults are a PIA though.
This one Jon?If you want the car sorted (although it sounds like you don't) then take it to them and see what they say. It might cost in the short term but I'd write to AM and tell them your intention before hand, tell them that they have first refusal to find the defect, if they fail to or don't take you up on the offer and a defect is found, then you expect them to pay. Its a one way commit so if they don't respond it won't necessarily help you get the cash out of them, but its certainly not going to hurt. I generally refuse to use anything but email to correspond with the garage over issues as they invariably deny something later on which you can refer back to.
If you want the reject then list as detailed a time line as possible, in writing, to the dealer principal. Intermittent faults are a PIA though.
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=3&a...
warren182 said:
Quick update. Appears someone had been liberal with information, and no one at am (outside the dealership) had been consulted. Spoke to someone higher up who had already made an offer to replace the car.
Dealer lying about who they have escalated to - who'd have guessed 
Good news that AM are doing something about it
Neil1300r said:
warren182 said:
Quick update. Appears someone had been liberal with information, and no one at am (outside the dealership) had been consulted. Spoke to someone higher up who had already made an offer to replace the car.
Dealer lying about who they have escalated to - who'd have guessed 
Good news that AM are doing something about it

What has the dealer got to lose escalating a rejection when it is clearly a build fault and they cannot solve it!
This thread wouldn't have happened and there would be a much happier Aston owner trumpeting their excellent customer support.
I wonder what tomorrows dealer/factory "issue" will be

mikey k said:
See I don't get that 
What has the dealer got to lose escalating a rejection when it is clearly a build fault and they cannot solve it!
This thread wouldn't have happened and there would be a much happier Aston owner trumpeting their excellent customer support.
I wonder what tomorrows dealer/factory "issue" will be
gearbox on the Vantage 'S'.....probaly...
What has the dealer got to lose escalating a rejection when it is clearly a build fault and they cannot solve it!
This thread wouldn't have happened and there would be a much happier Aston owner trumpeting their excellent customer support.
I wonder what tomorrows dealer/factory "issue" will be

tonyhall38 said:
mikey k said:
See I don't get that 
What has the dealer got to lose escalating a rejection when it is clearly a build fault and they cannot solve it!
This thread wouldn't have happened and there would be a much happier Aston owner trumpeting their excellent customer support.
I wonder what tomorrows dealer/factory "issue" will be
gearbox on the Vantage 'S'.....probaly...
What has the dealer got to lose escalating a rejection when it is clearly a build fault and they cannot solve it!
This thread wouldn't have happened and there would be a much happier Aston owner trumpeting their excellent customer support.
I wonder what tomorrows dealer/factory "issue" will be

tosserwarren182 said:
Quick update. Appears someone had been liberal with information, and no one at am (outside the dealership) had been consulted. Spoke to someone higher up who had already made an offer to replace the car.
That's the kind of action that makes us all happy ......sounds like your getting somewhere 
AOliver said:
Personally I wouldn't accept a 'replacement' especially when the dealer had messed me about.
I would get a refund and then buy the car I wanted from another dealer, not accept the dealerships idea of what qualifies as a replacement.
If you aren't offered the refund you want, first stop would be a strong solicitors letter, hopefully shouldn't need to go further than that.
You're not allowed to comment I'm afraid. You seem to be a new member and we've not seen pictures of your car yet. Local rules I'm afraid, ask anyone around here I would get a refund and then buy the car I wanted from another dealer, not accept the dealerships idea of what qualifies as a replacement.
If you aren't offered the refund you want, first stop would be a strong solicitors letter, hopefully shouldn't need to go further than that.

AOliver said:
There is a picture on my profile.......
Or do I need to post more elsewhere?
There are 'local' rules here in Gloucestershire, I hope there aren't any similar rules here!!
None of that yokel nonsense on this forum please.Or do I need to post more elsewhere?
There are 'local' rules here in Gloucestershire, I hope there aren't any similar rules here!!
I am the AM London representative and have responsibility for the upkeep of London Rules.
None of your misbehaving with farm animals or other deviant behaviour.
Just get a move on and post a pic of your bleed'in car.

P.S. If you want to earn some brownie points have your wife or gf drape herself over the bonnet,seductively,like they did in those Motor Shows in the 60's.
Edited by avinalarf on Friday 20th June 20:52
Edited by avinalarf on Friday 20th June 20:52
Gassing Station | Aston Martin | Top of Page | What's New | My Stuff


