Sanity Check - gearbox fault on new secondhand car
Discussion
Recently bought a C320 cdi Merc with the 7 speed gearbox.
This has proved to have a nasty flare on 2nd to 3rd up/down shift.
Bought as a straight swap for an 08 Octavia VRS. FSH, 107k on the clock. 1 month warranty on engine and gearbox.
Trader on the face of it is making the right noises. He could not get hold of his gearbox specialist on the first day. I knew who he was speaking to and managed to speak to them directly the next morning. I booked it in, and confirmed that they had not been there the previous day.
Then spoke to trader later in the afternoon, who tells me still can't get hold of the specialist. This makes me nervous. I'm also still waiting for the call back he promised that day.
Specialist can't see the car until 2nd week in October.
The timing together with the general lack of action (as apposed to what he is saying) is making me nervous. I think the best course of action is a polite letter confirming the fault, the fact that the car is booked in, and fault to be resolved at his cost, so we all know where we stand. I don't want to put his back up at this stage....
Any recommendations or thoughts on this approach?
This has proved to have a nasty flare on 2nd to 3rd up/down shift.
Bought as a straight swap for an 08 Octavia VRS. FSH, 107k on the clock. 1 month warranty on engine and gearbox.
Trader on the face of it is making the right noises. He could not get hold of his gearbox specialist on the first day. I knew who he was speaking to and managed to speak to them directly the next morning. I booked it in, and confirmed that they had not been there the previous day.
Then spoke to trader later in the afternoon, who tells me still can't get hold of the specialist. This makes me nervous. I'm also still waiting for the call back he promised that day.
Specialist can't see the car until 2nd week in October.
The timing together with the general lack of action (as apposed to what he is saying) is making me nervous. I think the best course of action is a polite letter confirming the fault, the fact that the car is booked in, and fault to be resolved at his cost, so we all know where we stand. I don't want to put his back up at this stage....
Any recommendations or thoughts on this approach?
I think going around the trader straight to the specialist isnt a winner, by booking the appt you're making the contract with the specialist, so if the trader is aware, he can safely sidestep that one as you seem to be OK dealing with it yourself and havent made your intentions clear as to what you want
Take less control, leave it to the dealer to sort out
Take less control, leave it to the dealer to sort out
Megaflow said:
Your statuary rights mean you have a minimum of 3 months warranty with a car bought from a trader.
Minimum meaning if you haven't bought extra warranty or the seller has mentioned including extra, then you automatically get 3 months.
I know you're trying to be helpful, but that's wrong.Minimum meaning if you haven't bought extra warranty or the seller has mentioned including extra, then you automatically get 3 months.
If a fault appears within six months of buying, then it's the traders responsibility unless he can show that the fault did not exist at the time of sale.
spikeyhead said:
Megaflow said:
Your statuary rights mean you have a minimum of 3 months warranty with a car bought from a trader.
Minimum meaning if you haven't bought extra warranty or the seller has mentioned including extra, then you automatically get 3 months.
I know you're trying to be helpful, but that's wrong.Minimum meaning if you haven't bought extra warranty or the seller has mentioned including extra, then you automatically get 3 months.
If a fault appears within six months of buying, then it's the traders responsibility unless he can show that the fault did not exist at the time of sale.
I couldn't care less about this statutory business.
I am keen to protect myself. I have a specific warranty from trader of 1 month on engine and gearbox. I am focused on making sure that we both know where we stand without pissing him off to the degree that he takes umbridge. I think.
I am keen to protect myself. I have a specific warranty from trader of 1 month on engine and gearbox. I am focused on making sure that we both know where we stand without pissing him off to the degree that he takes umbridge. I think.
St John Smythe said:
spikeyhead said:
Megaflow said:
Your statuary rights mean you have a minimum of 3 months warranty with a car bought from a trader.
Minimum meaning if you haven't bought extra warranty or the seller has mentioned including extra, then you automatically get 3 months.
I know you're trying to be helpful, but that's wrong.Minimum meaning if you haven't bought extra warranty or the seller has mentioned including extra, then you automatically get 3 months.
If a fault appears within six months of buying, then it's the traders responsibility unless he can show that the fault did not exist at the time of sale.
OP - what the hell is a 'flare' when shifting gear?
kapiteinlangzaam said:
lord trumpton said:
OP - what the hell is a 'flare' when shifting gear?
Engine revs rise between gear changes (which can take a lot longer to complete).It basically means your gearbox is shagged.
Renovation said:
I agree with the OP.
I'd send a simple friendly email.
Further to our conversation....
I confirm that there is an problem with the gearbox....
agree with your suggestion to book it in with XXXX specialist...
I would just add to this email that you managed speak to the agreed specialist and you have booked the car in to be inspected. See what he responds with. I'd send a simple friendly email.
Further to our conversation....
I confirm that there is an problem with the gearbox....
agree with your suggestion to book it in with XXXX specialist...
surveyor said:
kapiteinlangzaam said:
lord trumpton said:
OP - what the hell is a 'flare' when shifting gear?
Engine revs rise between gear changes (which can take a lot longer to complete).It basically means your gearbox is shagged.
Its not cheap as the oil is very expensive. I'd push for that first if you like the car
Car goes in on Wednesday. Happened to drive by trader today. Car that he said was sold to the trade the day after trading in, was on his pitch.
I'm mildly unhappy...
I did have a chat to confirm Wednesday, asked if he had spoken to specialist (he had not - said he can't get an answer). I also said that I'd seen the car and was unhappy. He claims it had been sold and the finance fell through. Bit of a contradiction.
Giving him the benefit of the doubt, the specialist is hard to get hold of. I've been trying all day, and did not manage it until 6PM.
I hope he's not being slippery, but the odds are going against me I think.
I'm mildly unhappy...
I did have a chat to confirm Wednesday, asked if he had spoken to specialist (he had not - said he can't get an answer). I also said that I'd seen the car and was unhappy. He claims it had been sold and the finance fell through. Bit of a contradiction.
Giving him the benefit of the doubt, the specialist is hard to get hold of. I've been trying all day, and did not manage it until 6PM.
I hope he's not being slippery, but the odds are going against me I think.
Gassing Station | General Gassing | Top of Page | What's New | My Stuff



tter.