PCP deal changing between order and delivery?
Discussion
Interesting one this and not sure what to do. When I ordered my car the PCP deal on offer was at 7% interest. Now, for reasons best known to themselves, they are offering 0% PCP deals.
Can I get the dealer to change me over before I have my car delivered? Or am I tied into the original finance deal I had a quote for months ago? I can't seem them voluntarily switching deals for me somehow ...
Has anyone else had deals change during a long wait for delivery?
Can I get the dealer to change me over before I have my car delivered? Or am I tied into the original finance deal I had a quote for months ago? I can't seem them voluntarily switching deals for me somehow ...
Has anyone else had deals change during a long wait for delivery?
pboyall said:
Has anyone else had deals change during a long wait for delivery?
Yes, but that was due to issues at the factory. I ordered my Alfa early August and was told I'd have it by early November at the very latest. At that point I signed up for a discount of around £3k and a 24 month PCP deal of 0.3%! By the beginning of November, the car hadn't even started to list as ready for production and Alfa were very cagey about why. Rumour is their was a labour dispute in the paint shop over how they were paid as the 8C Red paint I ordered is a 4 coat affair and takes much longer than other paints, yet the paint shop guys were paid on units put through, or some other such nonsense. When we asked them in November when it would be made, they said March!
The dealers found a similar specced car in another dealership at that point so the whole deal was cancelled and we started over again. Alfa had massively improved their contributions and I also got extra money put in by Alfa for the hassle, and by the dealers to keep my custom. In the end, I got a £6k discount and switched over to a 0% HP finance for 18 months instead. But it was the excessive delay that got me out of the original contract.
How long did they promise for delivery and how long has it taken? IIRC, when I looked for advice, they have 14 days beyond the delivery estimate to provide a car at which point you can then write a letter asking them to provide the car within 7 days of receipt or the deal can be cancelled without you being liable for any payments.
You might not be able to change, it depends on the deal you got on the price of your car. With some manufacturers, a 0% deal may mean that the actual margins (discounts) available are lower to support the 0% offer.
To give an example, we can offer 0% on new vans. But if you take the offer there is no dealer margin to play with as the manufacturer takes that to pay for the 0% side of things. So in that case we would have to reprice the van without any dealer margin. You'd need to speak to the dealer that you've bought the car off to see if it's possible
To give an example, we can offer 0% on new vans. But if you take the offer there is no dealer margin to play with as the manufacturer takes that to pay for the 0% side of things. So in that case we would have to reprice the van without any dealer margin. You'd need to speak to the dealer that you've bought the car off to see if it's possible

There are some key things to consider here:
1. Originally 7% APR but what discount did you get on the car?
2. Now 0% so what discounts are available?
In many cases and especially if using manufacturer finance the deals on models change quarterly and include:
- Changes in APR
- Changes in finance contribution e.g. deposit
- Changes in dealer contriubution
I bought a new car recently at 4.9% APR but even with the 0% APR that came out the next quarter my deal made more sense due to the discounts I received.
You need to get your dealer (or use another) to quote you on the 0% APR and see what the new deal looks like. If it is better, ask to change. If they say no (which is their right) consider cancelling and re-ordering if the difference between the deposit and new deal makes it a viable option.
1. Originally 7% APR but what discount did you get on the car?
2. Now 0% so what discounts are available?
In many cases and especially if using manufacturer finance the deals on models change quarterly and include:
- Changes in APR
- Changes in finance contribution e.g. deposit
- Changes in dealer contriubution
I bought a new car recently at 4.9% APR but even with the 0% APR that came out the next quarter my deal made more sense due to the discounts I received.
You need to get your dealer (or use another) to quote you on the 0% APR and see what the new deal looks like. If it is better, ask to change. If they say no (which is their right) consider cancelling and re-ordering if the difference between the deposit and new deal makes it a viable option.
Gassing Station | General Gassing | Top of Page | What's New | My Stuff



