What would you do?
Discussion
I'll start with a bit of background, I've been with my partner since we were 15 (we are now both 23) and in that time we lived seperately for the first 2.5 years, then with her parents for about a month before we started renting a small 2 bed property from her brother in law where we have lived ever since. We have no formal contract with him and didn't even pay a deposit when we moved in. (We have kept the house in good order and have even put new carpets in some of the rooms at our own expense)
We have recently fallen pregnant and decided that the small 2 bed with no garden isn't where we want to raise the baby so we have looked into buying houses in the local area and have started the process of buying a new build 3 bed with a garden and garage which is due to be complete Summer/Autumn of this year, with the baby being due at the start of November we should be in the house in time.
When we told BIL that we had plans to be moving out towards the end of the year he was fine with this and said that he was thinking of selling the house anyway so would put it on the market in the hope of selling once we were out. We assumed that he would put it on the market about a month or so before we planned to move out but within a week of us telling him he has had estate agents around to market it and it has already had 2 viewings. It is priced well and I can see it selling quickly as it is a nice house in a small seaside town centre location.
In buying the new house we have basically cleared out our savings, (I'm powerfully built but not yet a company director) and I am working plenty of overtime at work to try to build our savings back up before the baby comes.
We have dicussed it and have decided we have the following options:
a) Stay in BIL's house until he sells it, if this is before our house is ready then move back in with my partners parents until we can move into our home, thus saving some of the money that would otherwise go on rent. They also have a large stone "shed" at the bottom of the garden which we could run electricity to and board out inside so that we can have our own living room area and we would just eat sleep and shower in the house.
b) Just move back in with her parents now, if were going to have to do it at some point then we may as well do it now and save 6 months salary which will give us a tidy amount in savings when we do move out.
c) Stay in BIL's house until he sells it then rent somewhere else for a few months, this will mean no savings but we will have our own space for the duration of the pregnancy.
d) Buy an MX5
What would you do if you were in our position?
We have recently fallen pregnant and decided that the small 2 bed with no garden isn't where we want to raise the baby so we have looked into buying houses in the local area and have started the process of buying a new build 3 bed with a garden and garage which is due to be complete Summer/Autumn of this year, with the baby being due at the start of November we should be in the house in time.
When we told BIL that we had plans to be moving out towards the end of the year he was fine with this and said that he was thinking of selling the house anyway so would put it on the market in the hope of selling once we were out. We assumed that he would put it on the market about a month or so before we planned to move out but within a week of us telling him he has had estate agents around to market it and it has already had 2 viewings. It is priced well and I can see it selling quickly as it is a nice house in a small seaside town centre location.
In buying the new house we have basically cleared out our savings, (I'm powerfully built but not yet a company director) and I am working plenty of overtime at work to try to build our savings back up before the baby comes.
We have dicussed it and have decided we have the following options:
a) Stay in BIL's house until he sells it, if this is before our house is ready then move back in with my partners parents until we can move into our home, thus saving some of the money that would otherwise go on rent. They also have a large stone "shed" at the bottom of the garden which we could run electricity to and board out inside so that we can have our own living room area and we would just eat sleep and shower in the house.
b) Just move back in with her parents now, if were going to have to do it at some point then we may as well do it now and save 6 months salary which will give us a tidy amount in savings when we do move out.
c) Stay in BIL's house until he sells it then rent somewhere else for a few months, this will mean no savings but we will have our own space for the duration of the pregnancy.
d) Buy an MX5
What would you do if you were in our position?
hyphen said:
B
+ budget 911 (mx-5 doesn't have rear seats for the baby)
B but 2x MX5's should be considered. + budget 911 (mx-5 doesn't have rear seats for the baby)
6 months isn't that long. It saves some potential moving up-eval when your partner is more heavily pregnant. Other people around
Have you spoken to BiL?
Despite being on the market and having viewings he may well have made the move date (i.e. later in the year) clear to the potential buyers and it may well work out well for them also.
Sounds like he has been decent so just ask him what his actual time frame is and tell him yours and go from there.
That aside if you need to be out early go option B.
Despite being on the market and having viewings he may well have made the move date (i.e. later in the year) clear to the potential buyers and it may well work out well for them also.
Sounds like he has been decent so just ask him what his actual time frame is and tell him yours and go from there.
That aside if you need to be out early go option B.
Surely speak to the BIL and say that you were hoping to stay until new house was built and see what he says first?
As another poster above mentioned, just because its on the market now, doesnt mean it has to move quickly.
The last 2 houses i purchsed took over 6 months from offer accepted to move in, and that was me pushing for a quick deal.
Or he might have advertised it, but told the agent/buyers they cant move in till XXX date
As another poster above mentioned, just because its on the market now, doesnt mean it has to move quickly.
The last 2 houses i purchsed took over 6 months from offer accepted to move in, and that was me pushing for a quick deal.
Or he might have advertised it, but told the agent/buyers they cant move in till XXX date
Speak to BIL first, it seems like he's been very decent to you so despite him having viewings doesn't guarantee a sale on the house and you could potentially leave him without a rental income for 6 months.
So talk to him say you'd like to remain until your house is ready but if he wants/expects to sell the house earlier then you'd move back with the inlaws to save some money and make the sale easier for him. He may well say he's explained to potential buyers that he won't sell for6 months as he's got a rental contract with you guys preventing an earlier sale.
Communication is key.
Outside the box thinking there could also be the chance that your house isn't ready in 6 months
So talk to him say you'd like to remain until your house is ready but if he wants/expects to sell the house earlier then you'd move back with the inlaws to save some money and make the sale easier for him. He may well say he's explained to potential buyers that he won't sell for6 months as he's got a rental contract with you guys preventing an earlier sale.
Communication is key.
Outside the box thinking there could also be the chance that your house isn't ready in 6 months
Watchman said:
Rebew said:
We have recently fallen pregnant
IS NO-ONE GOING TO SAY ANYTHING? 
Not many normal relationships nowadays you see, Emma Watson told me so.
hyphen said:
Well I was going you say 'we' was stupid when 'she' had got pregnant. But then OP could be a female with another female and they could have both got pregnant from their best gay friends.
Not many normal relationships nowadays you see, Emma Watson told me so.
We both identify as "Gender fluid trans-lesbian space zombies" if any one disagrees with that then it is a violation of my human rights (not that I like to identify as "Human as I feel that confines me too much) Not many normal relationships nowadays you see, Emma Watson told me so.

Thanks for all of the replies, we are planning on speaking to BIL at the weekend so should have a better idea of where we stand, he's been very good to us and to be honest I think that it is his wife who is really pushing to sell the house, she has always been very happy to see us fail (the complete opposite of him) so it will make her day if she can sell the house out from under us and send us. That makes it all the more tempting to get out before they've sold it so that they are left without rent for that period, having to pay the mortgage without any rent to contribute it may damage her keeping up with the Jones' stay at home mum lifestyle.
^^^ From what I gathered from the YouTube exposition of this vehicle, it'd likely cost more than most large houses in the SE of England.
Serious note... Try not to accidentally spite the BiL even if you manage to teach "her" a lesson. He sounds like a nice chap. Might be someone you need in the future... Babysitters are worth their weight in gold.
Good luck with buying a house. It's quite stressful but keep in mind that first night you will sleep in your new house. It all seems worthwhile at that point.
Serious note... Try not to accidentally spite the BiL even if you manage to teach "her" a lesson. He sounds like a nice chap. Might be someone you need in the future... Babysitters are worth their weight in gold.
Good luck with buying a house. It's quite stressful but keep in mind that first night you will sleep in your new house. It all seems worthwhile at that point.

Rebew said:
Watchman said:
IS NO-ONE GOING TO SAY ANYTHING? 
MX5 is too yesterday. You need more seats. Buy this to live in and to move around in.

P.S. congratulations
Does it come with Iso-fix? And is it under 2.5 tons? (a covenant of the new esatate) If so then I'll take 2!
MX5 is too yesterday. You need more seats. Buy this to live in and to move around in.

P.S. congratulations
Shakermaker said:
Rebew said:
Watchman said:
IS NO-ONE GOING TO SAY ANYTHING? 
MX5 is too yesterday. You need more seats. Buy this to live in and to move around in.

P.S. congratulations
Does it come with Iso-fix? And is it under 2.5 tons? (a covenant of the new esatate) If so then I'll take 2!
MX5 is too yesterday. You need more seats. Buy this to live in and to move around in.

P.S. congratulations
I don't want to spite the BIL to be honest, as much as it would satisfy me to see his other halfs face when we tell them, it's not fair on him. I got enough satisfaction from telling them that SWMBO (Happy with that?) was pregnant, her face was a picture!
We will discuss it with him at the weekend and see how he feels, if he thinks it will be a less complicated process if the house is empty and ready to be sold then we will look at going back to her parents ASAP. Most of our possessions will go into storage but I will offer to leave any furniture in the house so that it doesn't look empty for viewings.
I'd say B. You'll be amazed at how much money you'll need to get the house and contents the way you want so any extra money you can save the better, even if that means a few months of inconvenience. To give you some perspective, my partner and I had separate properties. She had a Victorian flat in Newcastle which we used as a weekend pad and I had a 3 bed semi in a nice suburban area which I bought for me and my son when I spit with his mother.
We decided to buy a larger 4 bed detached house together. We got a new build which was some months off being built. As my house wasn't huge, we were going to just live as we were until the new house was nearly done then try and sell both together. We started to worry about the timings on selling and moving in so in the end she sold up and moved into my house for 6 months. It was cramped and with only 1 reception room, we got under each others feet a lot. She also had all her stuff stored so I lost my den (the garage) and spare room but the money saved meant we could throw £1000k a month into the house fund. When we finally did move in, that money went in no time and we've still not got my man-cave, dining room table and a few other things she "needs" for the house. Without the extra £6k, we'd not have a garden, bedroom furniture that matched the house, etc.
We decided to buy a larger 4 bed detached house together. We got a new build which was some months off being built. As my house wasn't huge, we were going to just live as we were until the new house was nearly done then try and sell both together. We started to worry about the timings on selling and moving in so in the end she sold up and moved into my house for 6 months. It was cramped and with only 1 reception room, we got under each others feet a lot. She also had all her stuff stored so I lost my den (the garage) and spare room but the money saved meant we could throw £1000k a month into the house fund. When we finally did move in, that money went in no time and we've still not got my man-cave, dining room table and a few other things she "needs" for the house. Without the extra £6k, we'd not have a garden, bedroom furniture that matched the house, etc.
Gassing Station | The Lounge | Top of Page | What's New | My Stuff




