Potential New Car Rejection - Advice Please
Discussion
Morning all,
Looking for some advice on behalf of the mother in law...
Have just assisted her in replacing her 62-plate Giulietta with a new one from Alfa - they had one in an Alfa compound somewhere so we didn't have to wait for build times.
Problems have now arisen since taking delivery of the car in mid-Dec. The car has on 3 separate occasions had what on the face of it looks like a full electrical failure - key in the ignition, nothing at all, no attempt to turnover etc.
Now I must stress the dealership have been as helpful as they can be - they have on all three occasions collected the car (either by truck or by playing with it on the driveway first!), and left a courtesy car. The first time it happened they said it was a coding issue which resolved when plugged in. The second time is was a loose connection on the alternator apparently.
When it happened the third time we decided to reject the car on the basis that we had given them ample opportunity to fix it. This was in the process of happening and Alfa UK were in contact with the dealership. Today however they've rang to say that they've diagnosed it as an ECU electrical problem, and a part is coming from Italy within 10 days.
The problem is now is we're unsure whether we still have a right to reject the car? Or whether it's even worth rejecting if they're able to fix it. The problem we don't want to face is if this doesn't fix it and we have to go through the process again.
So really I'm asking for peoples opinions on whether we should allow Alfa more time. I worked in the trade for a number of years but not once came across a rejection scenario!
Thanks in advance!
Looking for some advice on behalf of the mother in law...
Have just assisted her in replacing her 62-plate Giulietta with a new one from Alfa - they had one in an Alfa compound somewhere so we didn't have to wait for build times.
Problems have now arisen since taking delivery of the car in mid-Dec. The car has on 3 separate occasions had what on the face of it looks like a full electrical failure - key in the ignition, nothing at all, no attempt to turnover etc.
Now I must stress the dealership have been as helpful as they can be - they have on all three occasions collected the car (either by truck or by playing with it on the driveway first!), and left a courtesy car. The first time it happened they said it was a coding issue which resolved when plugged in. The second time is was a loose connection on the alternator apparently.
When it happened the third time we decided to reject the car on the basis that we had given them ample opportunity to fix it. This was in the process of happening and Alfa UK were in contact with the dealership. Today however they've rang to say that they've diagnosed it as an ECU electrical problem, and a part is coming from Italy within 10 days.
The problem is now is we're unsure whether we still have a right to reject the car? Or whether it's even worth rejecting if they're able to fix it. The problem we don't want to face is if this doesn't fix it and we have to go through the process again.
So really I'm asking for peoples opinions on whether we should allow Alfa more time. I worked in the trade for a number of years but not once came across a rejection scenario!
Thanks in advance!
IANAL, but if i recall, giving the dealer 2 decent attempts to fix the car is sufficient & if the 2nd attempt doesn't fix everything then you're entitled to reject the vehicle.
Is some unwritten rule that this needs to be within 6mths from new, but i can't confirm if it's hearsay or law.
What you may need to do though is although they've clearly had more than 2 attempts already, is give them one further but confirm in writing (email's fine), that if the car isn't fully fixed by a given date (give the dealer a reasonable amount of time) that you'll be rejecting the car.
Was in the same situation with a FFRR A/B that i bought earlier this year, it (no surprise) was riddled with electrical issues from day 1, gave them a week to fix everything & they applied numerous software updates to the car, however this didn't resolve anything, so informed them that if a second attempt to fix the car failed, i'd be rejecting it. Suffice to say i left the car with them for 3 weeks (i was given a RRS to use while mine was off the road) & they were unable to fix the faults, so a formal rejection was instigated & a couple of weeks later i was fully refunded.
Is some unwritten rule that this needs to be within 6mths from new, but i can't confirm if it's hearsay or law.
What you may need to do though is although they've clearly had more than 2 attempts already, is give them one further but confirm in writing (email's fine), that if the car isn't fully fixed by a given date (give the dealer a reasonable amount of time) that you'll be rejecting the car.
Was in the same situation with a FFRR A/B that i bought earlier this year, it (no surprise) was riddled with electrical issues from day 1, gave them a week to fix everything & they applied numerous software updates to the car, however this didn't resolve anything, so informed them that if a second attempt to fix the car failed, i'd be rejecting it. Suffice to say i left the car with them for 3 weeks (i was given a RRS to use while mine was off the road) & they were unable to fix the faults, so a formal rejection was instigated & a couple of weeks later i was fully refunded.
I rejected a 12 month old vehicle after numerous faults kept developing, eventually leading to a main ecu failure with it off the road for two weeks.
Having said that, it was replaced with a brand new identical vehicle and so far, has been ok.
Might be different if just want your money back.
Having said that, it was replaced with a brand new identical vehicle and so far, has been ok.
Might be different if just want your money back.
What do you (your MIL) WANT to do?
- Has she lost faith in the car and wants shot of it?
- Does she still love it and want it to work?
If the first, then seek legal advice (not PH advice, unless one of the genuine solicitors/barristers comes on here and opines) and if you can, pursue the rejection as you've lost faith in the car and in the mfr (keep the dealer on-side).
If the second, then hold the rejection over them and ask for (a) a cast-iron guarantee that this will fix it, referring back to the rejection notice that you're going to keep open; and (b) some sort of goodwill gesture - MIL has been let down 3x and has been without her brand-new car for x days - not good customer service.
- Has she lost faith in the car and wants shot of it?
- Does she still love it and want it to work?
If the first, then seek legal advice (not PH advice, unless one of the genuine solicitors/barristers comes on here and opines) and if you can, pursue the rejection as you've lost faith in the car and in the mfr (keep the dealer on-side).
If the second, then hold the rejection over them and ask for (a) a cast-iron guarantee that this will fix it, referring back to the rejection notice that you're going to keep open; and (b) some sort of goodwill gesture - MIL has been let down 3x and has been without her brand-new car for x days - not good customer service.
Triple7 said:
Is the car on finance? If so you reject the car through the finance company.
I’d say to them that you are giving them this last chance to fix the fault and go from there.
Not the case, you reject the vehicle through the dealer, the dealer gets refunded by the manufacturer (this is where they have to negotiate a price that limits how much the dealer may/may not be out of pocket) & the dealer then settle the finance, with the balance (that being your deposit & any payments made to date) are refunded to the customer.I’d say to them that you are giving them this last chance to fix the fault and go from there.
Alucidnation said:
Not in our case.
Vehicle was rejected to the finance company, the FC negotiated a price with the dealer for them to purchase it as a used vehicle.
All correspondence was primarily with the manufacturer CS department.
Strange. Both times i've rejected a vehicle, although the finance company have been informed & kept up to date, all dealings have been with the selling dealer & ultimately the Manufacturers CS Dept. Monies on both occasions have been refunded by the dealer first (deposit) & the finance company second (monthly payments to date).Vehicle was rejected to the finance company, the FC negotiated a price with the dealer for them to purchase it as a used vehicle.
All correspondence was primarily with the manufacturer CS department.
In fact in my recent FFRR rejection, the Finance Company were even when pushed insistent they'd only apply pressure if the dealer of Mfctr wasn't playing ball. This was never the case & as such they remained purely an observer.
Alucidnation said:
I think I’m our case the vehicle wa replaced like for like.
I’m sure if it was going to be a straight rejection things may have been different.
In fact, the lease just carried on as before and all they did was amend the chassis number.
That makes sense. My rejection was with a full refund, as wouldn't touch another JLR product for love nor money, so purely a case of the 2 separate refunds from the Dealer & LR Finance.I’m sure if it was going to be a straight rejection things may have been different.
In fact, the lease just carried on as before and all they did was amend the chassis number.
Something to bear in mind OP is that your 30 day short term right to reject does not necessarily expire 30 days after the date you purchased the vehicle. Each time the car goes back to the dealer for diagnostic work or repair the 30 day clock is paused until such time as the dealer returns the car to you. Eg if the dealer had the car back to repair on 2 occasions for 2 days each time then your short term right to reject would expire 34 days after date of purchase.
Also depending on how you financed the purchase you may also have protection under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.
Also depending on how you financed the purchase you may also have protection under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.
mcpoot said:
Something to bear in mind OP is that your 30 day short term right to reject does not necessarily expire 30 days after the date you purchased the vehicle. Each time the car goes back to the dealer for diagnostic work or repair the 30 day clock is paused until such time as the dealer returns the car to you. Eg if the dealer had the car back to repair on 2 occasions for 2 days each time then your short term right to reject would expire 34 days after date of purchase.
Also depending on how you financed the purchase you may also have protection under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.
That's interesting to know, thank you! On that basis we'd still be within the 30 days, and as the car is still with Alfa as we speak that will continue.Also depending on how you financed the purchase you may also have protection under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.
The car was paid for on a split of cash/finance, purely because the 0% PCP and Contribution from Alfa outweighed anything the dealer could do for cash. It's with Fiat Finance and in fairness they've been great.
I will keep updated!
Gassing Station | Speed, Plod & the Law | Top of Page | What's New | My Stuff



