Rejecting a replacement for bicycle with warranty issue
Rejecting a replacement for bicycle with warranty issue
Author
Discussion

funkyrobot

Original Poster:

18,789 posts

258 months

Friday 31st August 2018
quotequote all
Long story short. Bought a full carbon Cube road bike in Feb 2017. Bike hasn't been right since I bought it. Bike shop have been useless. Bike was to be used as summer bike so light usage last year, stored in garage until May this year and light usage through July. Purchase price was £1000 reduced from £1500.

I discovered an issue with the bottom bracket shell in early August. Returned bike to shop early August (didn't want to, but had to) for them to inspect. They spoke to Cube who confirmed the BB shell is out of spec.

Nearly four weeks later, they have only just ordered a replacement frame set and have told me I need to wait at least another 3 weeks for delivery, then another week or so for them to build it. The latter part scares me as they are incompetent. The frameset was supposed to have been ordered nearly a week and a half ago.

I have had to constantly chase them for updates. They never speak to me unless I call them. They are blaming Cube for the delays, but let it slip that Cube contacted them weeks ago but nobody from the shop responded. Was told last week they would have it by last weekend. This was a lie. They then informed me the replacement is coming from the Netherlands, then it's Germany, now it's the Netherlands again, so it's delayed. They don't even know if the frameset they are sending me is a like for like replacement.

They have been utterly useless throughout the whole process. I have been without my bike for four weeks, and now they are saying it will be at least another four weeks if everything goes ok. I asked about a courtesy bike, but they can't guarantee me a road bike.

I have missed out on lots of riding now and by the time the replacement comes, we'll probably be heading into autumn. Sort of ruins my plans for a summer bike.

Do I have grounds for rejection and to ask for a refund? I'd rather have my money back and go elsewhere. I'd base my request on the inconvenience caused and the fact that the product has had the issue from the day it was bought. I did mention things numerous times last year but they ignored me.

Worth a try or do I just have to sit this one out? I know the replacement will not be built properly. Thanks all.

anonymous-user

84 months

Friday 31st August 2018
quotequote all
Realistically? No. You've had the bike and used it for 18 months.

Your best bet, I think, is to have your existing bike stripped back to the frame, take the warranty replacement frame, sell that as new, and put the money towards a new, different frame that you can build with your existing components.

Zippee

14,128 posts

264 months

Friday 31st August 2018
quotequote all
Can you not contact Cube direct to confirm where your frame actually is?
Personally, if it must go to the shop I'd rather collect my bits and the frame and build it myself. A week to build? It can be done in a couple of hours easily.

anonymous-user

84 months

Friday 31st August 2018
quotequote all
I don't think there is much chance of a rejection flying, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth a try

Did you pay by credit card? Might be worth a call to the card issuer if so

At the very least you should be all over Cube on social etc. to push for a speedier resolution

twitter @cubebikesuk and @cube_bikes

You can phone Cube in Holland too +31 103403502