ISA Sanity Check - thoughts
Discussion
I have a S&S ISA that’s doing as well as can be expected at present but also I have cash in a cash ISA paying >1%
What are thoughts on transferring the cash isa into S&S (assuming you can) and just getting a vanguard tracker to ride the recovery? (Whenever that is).
I did this in 2008 put cash into a tracker when I thought we’d hit the bottom and did really well from it.
What are thoughts on transferring the cash isa into S&S (assuming you can) and just getting a vanguard tracker to ride the recovery? (Whenever that is).
I did this in 2008 put cash into a tracker when I thought we’d hit the bottom and did really well from it.
DSLiverpool said:
I have a S&S ISA that’s doing as well as can be expected at present but also I have cash in a cash ISA paying >1%
What are thoughts on transferring the cash isa into S&S (assuming you can) and just getting a vanguard tracker to ride the recovery? (Whenever that is).
I did this in 2008 put cash into a tracker when I thought we’d hit the bottom and did really well from it.
Vanguard are as good a passive option as you can get so I wouldn't think of this as a question around Vanguard and more of a question around timescales and volatility vs. cash.What are thoughts on transferring the cash isa into S&S (assuming you can) and just getting a vanguard tracker to ride the recovery? (Whenever that is).
I did this in 2008 put cash into a tracker when I thought we’d hit the bottom and did really well from it.
When are you likely to need the money and how long are you looking at not needing to touch it for?
Yep I’m a Vanguard fan so that’s decided, this cash has been sat there for over 5 years as a very stormy day fast fund. If i invested it and we start to (sustainably) recover I’d just keep an eye on it - it’s quickly accessible (ish).
Can you change a cash isa to S&S (need to check)
We’ve dropped 20% in a blink but some major companies might never fully recover if at all - we’re in a totally new environment.
Can you change a cash isa to S&S (need to check)
We’ve dropped 20% in a blink but some major companies might never fully recover if at all - we’re in a totally new environment.
One thing that I would consider is look at an ETF option rather than an OEIC as an ETF is tradable.
I don't know how long Vanguard's platform takes if you put in a buy/sell order on a fund but if you look at this week and some of the swings how comfortable would you be trying to time a buy or sell order if you wanted to pull your money in a hurry and were faced with a 1-2 day wait for the instruction to go through?
Ignore whether you can time the market before someone mentions it (which is fair) I'm just speaking about the mechanics.
I don't know how long Vanguard's platform takes if you put in a buy/sell order on a fund but if you look at this week and some of the swings how comfortable would you be trying to time a buy or sell order if you wanted to pull your money in a hurry and were faced with a 1-2 day wait for the instruction to go through?
Ignore whether you can time the market before someone mentions it (which is fair) I'm just speaking about the mechanics.
DSLiverpool said:
Didn’t know about it, is that the sticky? I’m decided on what I’m doing but not the mechanics.
Here you go, Dave.https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&...
Whilst so many are talking about selling equities and reducing risk etc. I've also been thinking about putting more into equities.
I'm also a big Vanguard fan, and although the little bit of cash I've got I want to keep for emergencies, I do have some VG Life Strategy funds that are quite heavy on bonds LS60 and LS20. The LS20 especially has survived quite well so far so was thinking now or sometime in the near future it might be a good idea to stick this into LS100 to help turbo charge my account on the way back up.
Having said that I don't think we are going to see a strong recovery any time soon. The virus thing hasn't peaked yet, and there are many companies going to be reporting horrendous losses for probably the next year or so. So I don't want to jump in to soon.
I'm also a big Vanguard fan, and although the little bit of cash I've got I want to keep for emergencies, I do have some VG Life Strategy funds that are quite heavy on bonds LS60 and LS20. The LS20 especially has survived quite well so far so was thinking now or sometime in the near future it might be a good idea to stick this into LS100 to help turbo charge my account on the way back up.
Having said that I don't think we are going to see a strong recovery any time soon. The virus thing hasn't peaked yet, and there are many companies going to be reporting horrendous losses for probably the next year or so. So I don't want to jump in to soon.
Gassing Station | Finance | Top of Page | What's New | My Stuff



