Life insurance cancelled
Discussion
Hi all,
Originally posted this on the back of my car insurance thread but the mods have asked me to post a separate thread here instead.
Basically, me and my GF moved in our house in December and got appropriate life insurance sorted for us. My GF has a few medical problems so we had to get separate policies as no joint policy would cover me and her.
Everything was all well and good with premiums coming out every month until I looked at my bank account this morning to see c. £300 refunded from my insurer.
I called them up immediately and they’ve said that they only received my medical report back from my doctor at the end of June (6 months after getting cover out) and they have decided based on what they’ve seen to cancel my policy.
I’ve received no letter or other communication regarding this to date.
An underwriter is calling me with more details within 24hrs but I’m now a bit worried about never being able to get life cover out again (or it being prohibitively expensive) based on this cancellation.
I have no past health issues apart from minor asthma which hasn’t required treatment for years. I didn’t lie about anything at all during the application either. I don’t smoke or take drugs. I do drink occasionally but not a lot.
A current health issue I have is a giant cell tumour, which sounds horrendous, but is basically just a small, non-cancerous lump in my thumb bone, which my doctor has confirmed in writing as having no affect on my life expectancy.
I got my cover through a broker and I remember him being a major chatterbox and not actually listening to anything I said. I explained multiple times about the tumour issue and that I’m waiting for an operation to remove it (delayed due to COVID-19) but he kept glossing over it saying it wasn’t important as it had no affect on life expectancy.
I know I’m guessing a bit as the underwriter hasn’t called me yet but I’m guessing this is what the insurer has cancelled based upon.
If this turns out to be the case will it affect any future ability to get more cover?
And if so, will I have any recourse on the broker for not including all the information that I gave him?
To clarify I don’t wish for any “compo” I just don’t want to have to pay an arm and a leg for life insurance from now on due to the incompetence of the broker not disclosing all the information I gave him.
Any questions welcome and any assistance greatly appreciated!
Originally posted this on the back of my car insurance thread but the mods have asked me to post a separate thread here instead.
Basically, me and my GF moved in our house in December and got appropriate life insurance sorted for us. My GF has a few medical problems so we had to get separate policies as no joint policy would cover me and her.
Everything was all well and good with premiums coming out every month until I looked at my bank account this morning to see c. £300 refunded from my insurer.
I called them up immediately and they’ve said that they only received my medical report back from my doctor at the end of June (6 months after getting cover out) and they have decided based on what they’ve seen to cancel my policy.
I’ve received no letter or other communication regarding this to date.
An underwriter is calling me with more details within 24hrs but I’m now a bit worried about never being able to get life cover out again (or it being prohibitively expensive) based on this cancellation.
I have no past health issues apart from minor asthma which hasn’t required treatment for years. I didn’t lie about anything at all during the application either. I don’t smoke or take drugs. I do drink occasionally but not a lot.
A current health issue I have is a giant cell tumour, which sounds horrendous, but is basically just a small, non-cancerous lump in my thumb bone, which my doctor has confirmed in writing as having no affect on my life expectancy.
I got my cover through a broker and I remember him being a major chatterbox and not actually listening to anything I said. I explained multiple times about the tumour issue and that I’m waiting for an operation to remove it (delayed due to COVID-19) but he kept glossing over it saying it wasn’t important as it had no affect on life expectancy.
I know I’m guessing a bit as the underwriter hasn’t called me yet but I’m guessing this is what the insurer has cancelled based upon.
If this turns out to be the case will it affect any future ability to get more cover?
And if so, will I have any recourse on the broker for not including all the information that I gave him?
To clarify I don’t wish for any “compo” I just don’t want to have to pay an arm and a leg for life insurance from now on due to the incompetence of the broker not disclosing all the information I gave him.
Any questions welcome and any assistance greatly appreciated!
Have you actually seen the written report from your GP to the insurer? You have a right to view a copy FOC (indeed you should have been offered the opportunity to view it before it was sent).
Obviously I know nothing about you and I am not casting any aspersions, but I write such reports on a weekly basis and I frequently come across stuff in the notes that my patients haven’t declared that I presume they just forgot about. Some of it is major stuff - I’ve had at least one bloke forget that he was treated for depression for two years (and I genuinely think he actually forgot).
If you haven’t seen it, that’s the first thing you need to do. Best of luck getting it sorted.
Obviously I know nothing about you and I am not casting any aspersions, but I write such reports on a weekly basis and I frequently come across stuff in the notes that my patients haven’t declared that I presume they just forgot about. Some of it is major stuff - I’ve had at least one bloke forget that he was treated for depression for two years (and I genuinely think he actually forgot).
If you haven’t seen it, that’s the first thing you need to do. Best of luck getting it sorted.
Terminator X said:
Perhaps o/t but with things like this I always tick the box to see the report first. My FA tried to BS me not to do that due to it holding up the application etc but I wanted too see it first rather than not at all.
TX.
Definite BS as it would only hold the process up if you failed to tell your GP surgery to send the report after you’d examined it, a process which would take all of about 30 minutes. TX.
Thanks for the fast replies.
I didn’t want to complicate my first post but I should also mention that initially we applied for a joint policy with Zurich.
Zurich asked for both of our medical reports, I didn’t see or request a copy of mine, but I do know for a fact that Zurich accepted me... but instantly declined my GF.
They did ask some questions about the giant cell tumour, and wanted to see an extra couple of letters from the specialist, but they were then content with it all.
I know it’s not accurate to compare insurers but I know that at least Zurich were happy with what my report said.
So we then looked at separate policies and I went down a different path and didn’t go with Zurich. I think they might have been a bit too much money from that point (i.e they were competitive as a joint policy but not as a standard policy).
The current insurer (who I won’t name at this point) have not asked for any of this information from me which is leading me to think that this is why they’ve cancelled. Like I say, hopefully the underwriter will call me tomorrow.
I should add that I have access to a version of my medical report through the ‘Patient Access’ app, and there’s nothing outrageous on there. Certainly nothing that I didn’t mention.
Thank you anyway for the reassurance. I will keep the thread updated.
I didn’t want to complicate my first post but I should also mention that initially we applied for a joint policy with Zurich.
Zurich asked for both of our medical reports, I didn’t see or request a copy of mine, but I do know for a fact that Zurich accepted me... but instantly declined my GF.
They did ask some questions about the giant cell tumour, and wanted to see an extra couple of letters from the specialist, but they were then content with it all.
I know it’s not accurate to compare insurers but I know that at least Zurich were happy with what my report said.
So we then looked at separate policies and I went down a different path and didn’t go with Zurich. I think they might have been a bit too much money from that point (i.e they were competitive as a joint policy but not as a standard policy).
The current insurer (who I won’t name at this point) have not asked for any of this information from me which is leading me to think that this is why they’ve cancelled. Like I say, hopefully the underwriter will call me tomorrow.
I should add that I have access to a version of my medical report through the ‘Patient Access’ app, and there’s nothing outrageous on there. Certainly nothing that I didn’t mention.
Thank you anyway for the reassurance. I will keep the thread updated.
Just had the call giant cell tumour wasn’t declared by the broker.
I’m absolutely fuming.
To be fair the insurer are excellent so far, and are trying to see if they can reinstate the policy.
Very upset with the broker. Feel like he just wrote down as little as possible to get the deal done.
I’m absolutely fuming.
To be fair the insurer are excellent so far, and are trying to see if they can reinstate the policy.
Very upset with the broker. Feel like he just wrote down as little as possible to get the deal done.
Cl4rkyPH said:
Just had the call giant cell tumour wasn’t declared by the broker.
I’m absolutely fuming.
To be fair the insurer are excellent so far, and are trying to see if they can reinstate the policy.
Very upset with the broker. Feel like he just wrote down as little as possible to get the deal done.
That is exceptionally poor and a fairly major Error & Omission on their part. If they are any good, they should be getting involved to resolve either with that Insurer or an alternative, peer i.e not some dodgy alternative.I’m absolutely fuming.
To be fair the insurer are excellent so far, and are trying to see if they can reinstate the policy.
Very upset with the broker. Feel like he just wrote down as little as possible to get the deal done.
I would definitely escalate. Also, the Insurer should be having words with someone senior at the broker.
Best of luck with it all.
The insurer, despite their best efforts, have confirmed they cannot insure me until the thumb tumour is removed, so that is definitely cancelled.
I’ve applied for cover elsewhere, this time doing it all myself!! I have been extremely honest so hoping they can cover me!
But as it stands, in the meantime, I am left without any cover which is just shocking. Can’t believe that guy didn’t mention it, I’m so disappointed.
The complaint is ongoing.
I’ve applied for cover elsewhere, this time doing it all myself!! I have been extremely honest so hoping they can cover me!
But as it stands, in the meantime, I am left without any cover which is just shocking. Can’t believe that guy didn’t mention it, I’m so disappointed.
The complaint is ongoing.
Cl4rkyPH said:
The insurer, despite their best efforts, have confirmed they cannot insure me until the thumb tumour is removed, so that is definitely cancelled.
I’ve applied for cover elsewhere, this time doing it all myself!! I have been extremely honest so hoping they can cover me!
But as it stands, in the meantime, I am left without any cover which is just shocking. Can’t believe that guy didn’t mention it, I’m so disappointed.
The complaint is ongoing.
Sorry to hear that mate - hope you get it sorted. I’ve applied for cover elsewhere, this time doing it all myself!! I have been extremely honest so hoping they can cover me!
But as it stands, in the meantime, I am left without any cover which is just shocking. Can’t believe that guy didn’t mention it, I’m so disappointed.
The complaint is ongoing.
Gassing Station | Health Matters | Top of Page | What's New | My Stuff


