New car ordering help please
Discussion
I have an X3 on order but I want to change the spec from tech pack, to tech pack high. The order is due to lock in any day now, for delivery hopefully in March. My sales guy has advised that the change is quite chip heavy and subsequently could push me to the back of the queue - or it might not. No way of knowing until you try, and once you lose the build slot you lose the build slot.
Anyone got any opinions on this???
Adam
Anyone got any opinions on this???
Adam
Mad, colour is the one thing you think wouldn't change it!
I wouldn't mind if it got pushed back a few weeks, but confirmed build slots are precious. If it goes to the back of the queue who know's when that will be, could then keep getting pushed back further and further.
Oh man I don't know!!!!
I wouldn't mind if it got pushed back a few weeks, but confirmed build slots are precious. If it goes to the back of the queue who know's when that will be, could then keep getting pushed back further and further.
Oh man I don't know!!!!
adaM3 said:
Mad, colour is the one thing you think wouldn't change it!
I wouldn't mind if it got pushed back a few weeks, but confirmed build slots are precious. If it goes to the back of the queue who know's when that will be, could then keep getting pushed back further and further.
Oh man I don't know!!!!
The question for me would be can I live with the decision I've already made spec-wise, or will I kick myself for not getting the spec I wanted?!I wouldn't mind if it got pushed back a few weeks, but confirmed build slots are precious. If it goes to the back of the queue who know's when that will be, could then keep getting pushed back further and further.
Oh man I don't know!!!!
Personally I'd get the spec I want and develop a thick skin when it comes to patience and hope for the best...
You may end up kicking yourself, as said above, for not getting the spec you really would like...!
d_a_n1979 said:
The question for me would be can I live with the decision I've already made spec-wise, or will I kick myself for not getting the spec I wanted?!
Personally I'd get the spec I want and develop a thick skin when it comes to patience and hope for the best...
You may end up kicking yourself, as said above, for not getting the spec you really would like...!
That's what is making it hard. I spec'd what I wanted, and I'm really pleased with that spec, but I was thinking that in terms of residual value and/or desirability, the driver aids that come with tech pack high are quite sort after. Having said that, for me personally they are options I can live without. I think. lol, I thought i'd found my answer but now I'm still in doubt!!!Personally I'd get the spec I want and develop a thick skin when it comes to patience and hope for the best...
You may end up kicking yourself, as said above, for not getting the spec you really would like...!
adaM3 said:
d_a_n1979 said:
The question for me would be can I live with the decision I've already made spec-wise, or will I kick myself for not getting the spec I wanted?!
Personally I'd get the spec I want and develop a thick skin when it comes to patience and hope for the best...
You may end up kicking yourself, as said above, for not getting the spec you really would like...!
That's what is making it hard. I spec'd what I wanted, and I'm really pleased with that spec, but I was thinking that in terms of residual value and/or desirability, the driver aids that come with tech pack high are quite sort after. Having said that, for me personally they are options I can live without. I think. lol, I thought i'd found my answer but now I'm still in doubt!!!Personally I'd get the spec I want and develop a thick skin when it comes to patience and hope for the best...
You may end up kicking yourself, as said above, for not getting the spec you really would like...!
If the higher spec is more of a 'nice to have' leave it be and go for that the next time you spec a new car & build

d_a_n1979 said:
If you've gone with your initial spec and you're happy with that, STICK with that IMO
If the higher spec is more of a 'nice to have' leave it be and go for that the next time you spec a new car & build
+1 wot he said.If the higher spec is more of a 'nice to have' leave it be and go for that the next time you spec a new car & build

If you're happy with its current spec for your own purposes, and the build slot is looking certain and spec list complete, I'd stick with it. We're by no means out of the woods yet with semiconductor supply issues, and while it's possible it'll just push the build back, it's also possible more tech features could still be deleted from your build... so you might end up without the additional tech anyway... that's still how it is with 4 Series, AFAIK; to be fair I don't know if the X3 is less significantly affected, but worth being aware of the possibility.
Edited by gregch on Monday 10th January 16:17
d_a_n1979 said:
To what end?
So I only need to pay my car guy to wash it properly, and not to polish out all the dealer swirl marks?I wouldn't want to offend the dealer however by making such a request and get off on the wrong foot
Edited by adaM3 on Tuesday 11th January 13:53
Edited by adaM3 on Tuesday 11th January 13:55
adaM3 said:
So I only need to pay my car guy to wash it properly, and not to polish out all the dealer swirl marks?
I wouldn't want to offend the dealer however by making such a request and get off on the wrong foot
I think they're used to it by now and less work for them. When I got the M135i they hadn't touched it and even left the transport tape and foam etc...I wouldn't want to offend the dealer however by making such a request and get off on the wrong foot
No swirls was a bonus.
I went to purchase a X3 in Sep they could not guarantee what ever spec I wanted, in fact one item Harmon Kardon looked doubtful, also it looked like it could be eight months away. I was not prepared to wait that long so I looked around and with the dealers help managed a three month old 2.5k miles ex demo in mostly the spec I wanted HUD, M Sport Pro pack, Visibility, HK and a few others, £52k new, mine for £43k
Not sure about the no washing as this is how my M4 arrived at the dealer, I asked for a light clean which they did and added no swirls etc

I think it very much depends on your plans the car , for me laser lights and tech pack were a must and driving the loaner M4 yesterday while mine was in for service reminded me how much i use the tech pack and I would have regretted not getting it .
I heard rumours that lots of features are being dropped from many models ie touchscreen nav, apple car play and others due to the ongoing chip shortage so might be worth adding that into your considerations and speaking to your advisor

I think it very much depends on your plans the car , for me laser lights and tech pack were a must and driving the loaner M4 yesterday while mine was in for service reminded me how much i use the tech pack and I would have regretted not getting it .
I heard rumours that lots of features are being dropped from many models ie touchscreen nav, apple car play and others due to the ongoing chip shortage so might be worth adding that into your considerations and speaking to your advisor
Yesterday I decided I'd not change the spec anymore, today I'm not so sure.
I've got the options I really want; tech pack, comfort pack, park assist, pan roof, carbon, M seats... the driver assist advance would just be a nice to have, really nice to have. But if I lost the build slot, I think I'd be more gutted than I would be getting the car in March/April without a little radar on the front...
I've got the options I really want; tech pack, comfort pack, park assist, pan roof, carbon, M seats... the driver assist advance would just be a nice to have, really nice to have. But if I lost the build slot, I think I'd be more gutted than I would be getting the car in March/April without a little radar on the front...
adaM3 said:
Yesterday I decided I'd not change the spec anymore, today I'm not so sure.
I've got the options I really want; tech pack, comfort pack, park assist, pan roof, carbon, M seats... the driver assist advance would just be a nice to have, really nice to have. But if I lost the build slot, I think I'd be more gutted than I would be getting the car in March/April without a little radar on the front...
I’d just change it. What’s another month when you’re waiting 6+ anyway.I've got the options I really want; tech pack, comfort pack, park assist, pan roof, carbon, M seats... the driver assist advance would just be a nice to have, really nice to have. But if I lost the build slot, I think I'd be more gutted than I would be getting the car in March/April without a little radar on the front...
NelsonM3 said:
adaM3 said:
Yesterday I decided I'd not change the spec anymore, today I'm not so sure.
I've got the options I really want; tech pack, comfort pack, park assist, pan roof, carbon, M seats... the driver assist advance would just be a nice to have, really nice to have. But if I lost the build slot, I think I'd be more gutted than I would be getting the car in March/April without a little radar on the front...
I’d just change it. What’s another month when you’re waiting 6+ anyway.I've got the options I really want; tech pack, comfort pack, park assist, pan roof, carbon, M seats... the driver assist advance would just be a nice to have, really nice to have. But if I lost the build slot, I think I'd be more gutted than I would be getting the car in March/April without a little radar on the front...
Ha ha thanks, no lesson to be learned... I was always adding spec to a previously ordered car, cancelled by the original purchaser. I was lucky to get my first changes in without impact on the build slot. Chances are this option may have been fine too, it's just dealer said with it being quite a chip heavy option I may not be so lucky with this one. Put the wind up me a bit!
Gassing Station | BMW General | Top of Page | What's New | My Stuff



