Yet another kitten advice thread...
Discussion
So after getting various different opinions off Google, thought I would check here...
Got two kittens, both around 9 weeks old now. Neither have had jabs yet (been told by the vet 13 weeks) and they are both female, so will be being spayed at around 5 months (again vet recommended - please feel free to correct...)
Anyway the question is, how long is it until they are safely allowed to go outside? Obviously in my mind not until after the jabs for definate - some people are saying after that, others are saying not for a year, others reckon not until spayed...
What do you think?
Got two kittens, both around 9 weeks old now. Neither have had jabs yet (been told by the vet 13 weeks) and they are both female, so will be being spayed at around 5 months (again vet recommended - please feel free to correct...)
Anyway the question is, how long is it until they are safely allowed to go outside? Obviously in my mind not until after the jabs for definate - some people are saying after that, others are saying not for a year, others reckon not until spayed...
What do you think?
Kitten vacc can start at 9 weeks (2 injections given 3 weeks apart), I don't know why you have been told 13.
However not a major issue to do vacc later, as most people don't start letting cats out until they've been neutered 5-6 months is a suitable age for neutering.
Have they been ck'd over by a vet to sort flea and worming out, if not 13 weeks is a long time to wait, see if they do free kitten checks (something our place does)
Letting them out sooner leaves them a bit vulnerable.
I would start letting them out after being neutered, easier to keep them indoors for the recovery period after the op if they are not used to going out.
However not a major issue to do vacc later, as most people don't start letting cats out until they've been neutered 5-6 months is a suitable age for neutering.
Have they been ck'd over by a vet to sort flea and worming out, if not 13 weeks is a long time to wait, see if they do free kitten checks (something our place does)
Letting them out sooner leaves them a bit vulnerable.
I would start letting them out after being neutered, easier to keep them indoors for the recovery period after the op if they are not used to going out.
Edited by becksW on Thursday 29th April 09:03
Our female kitten is getting spayed tomorrow 
She's just over 7 months old. The vet advised her to be at least 6 months old before spaying. We would have got her done before now but were on holiday at the end of March and thought that the bank holiday might a good time as we can look after her a bit more with being off work.
We're going to let her out once she's recovered from her operation as there's a couple of toms about which I can do without her getting interested in!
I also think, from our experience, that letting her out before now would have been an accident waiting to happen. She's so curious and exciteable over the slightest thing that I don't think it would be long before she did herself a mischief!

She's just over 7 months old. The vet advised her to be at least 6 months old before spaying. We would have got her done before now but were on holiday at the end of March and thought that the bank holiday might a good time as we can look after her a bit more with being off work.
We're going to let her out once she's recovered from her operation as there's a couple of toms about which I can do without her getting interested in!
I also think, from our experience, that letting her out before now would have been an accident waiting to happen. She's so curious and exciteable over the slightest thing that I don't think it would be long before she did herself a mischief!
Gassing Station | The Lounge | Top of Page | What's New | My Stuff


