whats the best way to pay for a car from a private seller?
Discussion
Hi,
Im due to pick up a new car on saturday, i am paying around the 14k mark.
Is it best practice to withdraw 14k from my account and then go to his bank and pay it in for the car?
Bankers drafts take a few days to clear so i am told, as i am wanting to bring the car back with me that same day this will be a no go.
It is nearly a 2hr drive so i dont want to view it, give him a check, wait for it to clear, then drive back again a few days later.
Whats the best course of action for me guys?
Im due to pick up a new car on saturday, i am paying around the 14k mark.
Is it best practice to withdraw 14k from my account and then go to his bank and pay it in for the car?
Bankers drafts take a few days to clear so i am told, as i am wanting to bring the car back with me that same day this will be a no go.
It is nearly a 2hr drive so i dont want to view it, give him a check, wait for it to clear, then drive back again a few days later.
Whats the best course of action for me guys?
karl922 said:
It is nearly a 2hr drive so i dont want to view it, give him a check, wait for it to clear, then drive back again a few days later.
Forgive me but - Not exactly the other side of the world is it...? For the sake of feelign secure about your £14k geing transferred safely?karl922 said:
Hi,
Im due to pick up a new car on saturday, i am paying around the 14k mark.
Is it best practice to withdraw 14k from my account and then go to his bank and pay it in for the car?
Bankers drafts take a few days to clear so i am told, as i am wanting to bring the car back with me that same day this will be a no go.
It is nearly a 2hr drive so i dont want to view it, give him a check, wait for it to clear, then drive back again a few days later.
Whats the best course of action for me guys?
You don't need a bankers drafts to clear. That's what they're for.Im due to pick up a new car on saturday, i am paying around the 14k mark.
Is it best practice to withdraw 14k from my account and then go to his bank and pay it in for the car?
Bankers drafts take a few days to clear so i am told, as i am wanting to bring the car back with me that same day this will be a no go.
It is nearly a 2hr drive so i dont want to view it, give him a check, wait for it to clear, then drive back again a few days later.
Whats the best course of action for me guys?
Your bank will draw one up for you.
Depending on who your respective bank accounts are with, an online banking transfer may be instant.
http://www.ukpayments.org.uk/sort_code_checker/
http://www.ukpayments.org.uk/sort_code_checker/
Marf said:
karl922 said:
Trouble is were with different banks, and I know i wouldnt let my car go until the funds had cleared into my account. So a bankers draft and online transaction are out of the question I surpose as it takes about 3days to clear.
Look three posts up 
kambites said:
I went with the seller to my bank, withdrew the cash (having warned the bank that I'd be withdrawing 16000 quid in cash, obviously), then we went to his bank and paid it in.
I was in exactly the OP's position 2 years ago and did exactly this.Just make sure you ring ahead to the branch at which you are planning to ge the cash out from. They don't take kindly to having a £14,000 withdrawl sprung on them and likley wont be able to provide it for you if you do turn up unanounced.
Just make sure you and the seller (maybe plus a friend) are there to take the cash between banks.
At least this method is fool proof and provides the seller with complete confidence that he is actually going to get his money.
The other option is a CHAPS transfer which I believe is instant, even between banks. You could do this from your bank with him there and get a reciept for the transfer from the bank and give it to him etc.... I believe you pay something like £25 quid for this service if I remember rightly.
tomwoodis said:
kambites said:
I went with the seller to my bank, withdrew the cash (having warned the bank that I'd be withdrawing 16000 quid in cash, obviously), then we went to his bank and paid it in.
I was in exactly the OP's position 2 years ago and did exactly this.Just make sure you ring ahead to the branch at which you are planning to ge the cash out from. They don't take kindly to having a £14,000 withdrawl sprung on them and likley wont be able to provide it for you if you do turn up unanounced.
Just make sure you and the seller (maybe plus a friend) are there to take the cash between banks.
At least this method is fool proof and provides the seller with complete confidence that he is actually going to get his money.
The other option is a CHAPS transfer which I believe is instant, even between banks. You could do this from your bank with him there and get a reciept for the transfer from the bank and give it to him etc.... I believe you pay something like £25 quid for this service if I remember rightly.
Mine said if I phoned them bu 1pm, then the cash would be in the sellers account by 5pm, possibly, but they couldn't guarantee it. This would mean that I would need to be with the guy from 1-5, as I wouldnt trust anyone with my money to not leave the scene, and the seller wouldnt trust me to leave with the car without having the money in his account.
Bank transfers can be fakes, scammed and reversed.
Cash can be forged, and who would feel safe carryong around large amounts of cash.
Basically the banks aren't geared up for buying high value goods off private sellers
In the end, I phoned ahead and went with the seller to the bank, and had them draw up a bank draft in front of him. I still could have scammed the seller by handing over a fake one, so there was still a risk.
Gassing Station | General Gassing [Archive] | Top of Page | What's New | My Stuff



