Bargaining with dealers
Author
Discussion

thegers

Original Poster:

7 posts

195 months

Thursday 8th July 2010
quotequote all
For the first time Im going to be buying a used car from a dealer. Its up for £7995 and was at £8995 6 weeks ago when i first noticed it.

It does actually seem like a reasonable price but I suppose its expected that you do some bargaining.

would offering say 5% below the sticker price seem reasonable or should I go lower?

Its a Z3M roadster with 76000 on clock in very good condition and FSH

nsmith1180

3,941 posts

208 months

Thursday 8th July 2010
quotequote all
My guess is they have about 800 left in the car after VAT, wouldnt expect much movement myself. Go for Value Added Services like servicing and things like that.

Ozzie Osmond

21,189 posts

276 months

Thursday 8th July 2010
quotequote all
I'd offer £7,500 and see what happens if you take a fairly firm position.

For goodness sake don't mention the higher figure you previously saw it at. You want to negotiate from this price, not that higher one!

thegers

Original Poster:

7 posts

195 months

Thursday 8th July 2010
quotequote all
Ozzie Osmond said:
I'd offer £7,500 and see what happens if you take a fairly firm position.

For goodness sake don't mention the higher figure you previously saw it at. You want to negotiate from this price, not that higher one!
Thanks was thinking about that - the car has been on sale about 3 months so they might budge a bit

eliot

11,995 posts

284 months

Thursday 8th July 2010
quotequote all
thegers said:
Ozzie Osmond said:
I'd offer £7,500 and see what happens if you take a fairly firm position.

For goodness sake don't mention the higher figure you previously saw it at. You want to negotiate from this price, not that higher one!
Thanks was thinking about that - the car has been on sale about 3 months so they might budge a bit
Isn't 3 months when they have to sell it or pay tax on it?
<waits for a dealer to explain>

Edited by eliot on Thursday 8th July 23:43

Chris_w666

22,655 posts

229 months

Thursday 8th July 2010
quotequote all
Start with a low (but fair offer) around 7k would be my first try, regardless of what they have left in it to move the car on they may be willing to move on price and break even. Also depending on the type of dealer i.e. chain or indi they may be happier to sell at a loss than carry it for too long.

thegers

Original Poster:

7 posts

195 months

Thursday 8th July 2010
quotequote all
Chris_w666 said:
Start with a low (but fair offer) around 7k would be my first try, regardless of what they have left in it to move the car on they may be willing to move on price and break even. Also depending on the type of dealer i.e. chain or indi they may be happier to sell at a loss than carry it for too long.
Its a small indi

Chris_w666

22,655 posts

229 months

Friday 9th July 2010
quotequote all
Nothing to lose by starting at 7k then especially if you are a cash buyer not looking to px anything.

nsmith1180

3,941 posts

208 months

Friday 9th July 2010
quotequote all
eliot said:
thegers said:
Ozzie Osmond said:
I'd offer £7,500 and see what happens if you take a fairly firm position.

For goodness sake don't mention the higher figure you previously saw it at. You want to negotiate from this price, not that higher one!
Thanks was thinking about that - the car has been on sale about 3 months so they might budge a bit
Isn't 3 months when they have to sell it or pay tax on it?
<waits for a dealer to explain>

Edited by eliot on Thursday 8th July 23:43
Dealers pay tax on any car when they sell it for more than its SIV. They pay VAT on the proffit from selling. So a car sold at a loss or break even will not have any Tax, but a car sold at proffit, or a written back demonstrator which is sold for less than paid for, but more than its Stand In Value will inccurr VAT on the proffit.

liner33

10,861 posts

232 months

Friday 9th July 2010
quotequote all
Chris_w666 said:
Start with a low (but fair offer) around 7k would be my first try, regardless of what they have left in it to move the car on they may be willing to move on price and break even. Also depending on the type of dealer i.e. chain or indi they may be happier to sell at a loss than carry it for too long.
+1 you can always increase your offer

But rather than increase your offer as someone said go for value added ie if they come back with we could only go to £7500 ask , what will you chuck in if i do pay £7500??

dont be afraid to walk away or at least allow them to think you will walk away

thegers

Original Poster:

7 posts

195 months

Friday 9th July 2010
quotequote all
Thanks all

bassanclan

197 posts

272 months

Saturday 10th July 2010
quotequote all
I recently bought a second hand car from a main dealer.
Asking price £7992
I offered £7000, on the basis that I could buy one from an indi for £6500.
It was refused.

Went to an auction to buy the exact same model but and it went for £6700 + buyers fee of about £300 and needed bodywork repair.

So I booked myself a ticket to buy the one from the indi.
Next day the main dealer says "we'll sell it to you for £6500" I say thank you very much.

The price you offer should depend on what your fallback position is