Griff should i wait
Griff should i wait
Author
Discussion

dan de-lyon

Original Poster:

93 posts

216 months

Tuesday 13th July 2010
quotequote all
Hi All
Sold my cerbera earlier this year,for what i thought were all the right reasons (refurbing house need to re roof garage o/h needed new car etc) BIG mistake no tiv in garage is driving me mad spend more time on tvr threads than before,however still need to keep things in perspective and here is the question currently can stretch budjet to a reasonable 400 precat ideally wanted a 500 then looked at 430 precats now at 400s is there really a significant difference i intend it to be a keeper just unsure right now if i should wait until i can afford a 500. i know its been discussed before looking for reasoned advice

clive f

7,259 posts

262 months

Tuesday 13th July 2010
quotequote all
many on here will tell you a well sorted 4.3 will be as good as a 500, but if you really want the 500 I would hold out for it.

good hunting.

Colin RedGriff

2,541 posts

286 months

Tuesday 13th July 2010
quotequote all
I don't think there's much (real world) difference in performance between any of them. The later cars benefitted from the TVR development process (i.e practise on customer cars) so they worked out how to build them better as they went along.

Many precats and 500s have been modified by their owenrs to increase power/smoothness reliability so I think you have to treat each car as a one off and assess it against your requirements.

If you are looking at a good one then it will have been looked after and most of the niggly things fixed by the previous owners.

As ususal condition is king, I wouldn't get hung up on engine size if it feels right.

gizzer

671 posts

235 months

Tuesday 13th July 2010
quotequote all
After 5 yrs with 4.5 cerb brought a 4.3 pre cat WAT A GREAT CAR i find it better than a mates 500 but it s your call best of luck !

Guillotine

5,516 posts

293 months

Tuesday 13th July 2010
quotequote all
Griff are going up...

don't hang around!

yellowgriff

1,429 posts

211 months

Tuesday 13th July 2010
quotequote all
Prices are going up now because of the great weather we are having at the moment,, give it 3 to 4 months . mid winter & there will be some bargain to buy,,

marks3drtaz

161 posts

249 months

Tuesday 13th July 2010
quotequote all
The main selling points for a 500 are you have a choice of power steering which in my opinon (and not wanting to start a debate) is a must, anti roll bar on rear, better heating controls, T5 box, etc, and the fact it is a newer car. That said It is better to have loved than never loved at all! so i feel you should buy the best you can afford sooner rather than later, as prices seem to be on the rise you could be priced out of the market all together.

clive f

7,259 posts

262 months

Tuesday 13th July 2010
quotequote all
yellowgriff said:
Prices are going up now because of the great weather we are having at the moment,, give it 3 to 4 months . mid winter & there will be some bargain to buy,,
very true, many a bargain can be had in the winter months.

jesfirth

1,743 posts

271 months

Tuesday 13th July 2010
quotequote all
wait and buy a 500. after the cerb you will find a griff slow so wait and buy a 500

2 sMoKiN bArReLs

32,007 posts

264 months

Tuesday 13th July 2010
quotequote all
500

Ant.

5,254 posts

310 months

Tuesday 13th July 2010
quotequote all
jesfirth said:
wait and buy a 500. after the cerb you will find a griff slow so wait and buy a 500
But the 500's don't have enough power.......

dan de-lyon

Original Poster:

93 posts

216 months

Tuesday 13th July 2010
quotequote all
Ant. said:
jesfirth said:
wait and buy a 500. after the cerb you will find a griff slow so wait and buy a 500
But the 500's don't have enough power.......
Boosted 4.6 now theres a thought scratchchin