Insurance claim, are they giving me the run around?
Insurance claim, are they giving me the run around?
Author
Discussion

richierex

Original Poster:

25 posts

195 months

Wednesday 16th March 2011
quotequote all
After having an accident about 6 weeks ago i come to terms with the rediculously low figure the Third party insurance company have offered me for my vehicle (see here: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=965... I tried fighting my case but they didnt budge.

So, after a couple of weeks i still hadnt received my PAV cheque. I phoned the accident management company (AMC) and found out that the third party insurance have now taken back any previous admittance of Liability and this is why they had not issued the cheque. This was after a second engineer had come and inspected my vehicle. The First engineer was from the AMC, he was "independant" and gave me the woefully low figure. The second assessor inspected the vehicle beginning of last week and is making a report to the TPI.

It is all quite confusing. I dont understand why they would send a second assessor and at the same time deny liability. I was thinking perhaps the person that crashed into me was trying to say it wasnt his fault now so i contacted him to verify this. He was as confused as me and said they he held his hand up to the accident and that as far he was concerned it was done and dusted. The only other infomation the AMC gave me was the reason the third party have withdrawn liability is due to the "circumstances of the accident". That is all they have said in their letter and after the AMC claim handler put her manager on the phone to the TPI they said they would give a decision this friday as to whether they admit liability and issue the cheque or not. (are they waiting for the second assessors report i wonder?)

Is this common stalling tactics for insurance companies? I cant understand why this is such an issue. The other driver admits it was his fault, the assessor agrees the PAV with me and they seem all prepared to send out the compensation then they turn around and bring this up? It all seems very strange and no one will give me any infomation as to what the TPI are playing at?

Anyone got any ideas?


catman

2,504 posts

204 months

Wednesday 16th March 2011
quotequote all
Two thoughts, the third party could have changed his mind about liability, he wouldn't necessarily admit this to you.

Or, the TPI think that it was a staged accident? Also, if you are sure that your claim is fair, then don't accept their offer, without a very good reason being given.

Been there, done that..

Tim

skodamanpat

367 posts

208 months

Wednesday 16th March 2011
quotequote all
At a guess the TPI have read the AMC asessors report that the car had been written off previously and repaired to a poor std,
richierex said:
He then told me that the car had been involved in 2 writeoffs before and that the repair was sub standard because of the amount of filler used (i wasnt aware of this when i bought the car but the panels and gaps looked very straight). He also said there was a power issue that was there before the accident.
they will have then sent their own guy out to confirm how poor a condition the vehicle was in prior to the accident, probably with a view to declaring it was unroadworthy to start with and declaring that its condition contributed to the extent of the damage, or something similar. Sorry but I think you are going to be well and truly reamed (without any form of lubrication.)

richierex

Original Poster:

25 posts

195 months

Wednesday 16th March 2011
quotequote all
I really don't know what to do now as Adter having a change of heart i decided tp get rid of the car and have actualy sold The car on eBay and the buyer has Given me a deposit. I was td by the assessor it was My car and I could do what I want with it but he didn't seem that Bothered and not all that useful really so I just took this as an "off the cuff " remark. What really peeved me off was that the seller bought the car for almost what the pre accident value was thought to be by the TPI. he didn't pay over the odds tho as this just seems
To be what damaged ones are worth, just that the PAV was so low!

The last thing I want to do is go through my own insurance to claim anything and risk my NCB. and how would this even work if the car was no longer in my posission. It's really starting to stress me out not knowing what's going to happen and it taking so long between everyone talking to each other.


Blue Oval84

5,395 posts

190 months

Wednesday 16th March 2011
quotequote all
If I've understood this correctly then you really, really need to NOT sell the car. You need to make the recovery of cash from the other insurance company as otherwise it cannot be listed as a non-fault accident in future.

This means ff you don't make recovery then you will still need to declare it as a fault accident even if you don't claim from your own insurers. You're in the system now so they will know about the accident.

Good luck!