Toasted sandwich; Butter the outside or not?

Toasted sandwich; Butter the outside or not?

Author
Discussion

MissChief

Original Poster:

4,909 posts

103 months

Wednesday 20th May 2015
quotequote all
My 13 year old son insisted I butter the outside of his Toastie on Monday morning. I must admit this was pretty alien to me as I've never done that in the past. Filling inside (usually Ham & Cheese. Or is it Cheese and Ham? Perhaps another topic for another time!) and into the pre heated Toastie machine.

So I tried it myself tonight and other than getting ICBINB on my fingers it did seem to taste a bit crunchier on the outside and still soft on the inside whereas sans external butter previously the bread goes quite hard in places and very chewy. So, buttered exterior on a toasted Sandwich? Yay or nay?

Stu R

21,410 posts

150 months

Wednesday 20th May 2015
quotequote all
Yes, always.

jimmyjimjim

4,852 posts

173 months

Wednesday 20th May 2015
quotequote all
Absolutely yes. Try beans and franks as the filling. Or SMALL quantities of marmalade - using EXTREME caution when eating as it'll be dangerously hot.

vladcjelli

2,376 posts

93 months

Wednesday 20th May 2015
quotequote all
We used to butter ours when using the toaster machine. Does feel a bit like fried bread rather than toasted though.

Toastie machine is relegated to the shed now, as all toasted sandwiches are cooked in a medium hot frying pan. No fat added, just a dry pan. Cooked on one side till browned, flipped and repeat.

Gives the bread a nice texture, superior to grilling or machining in our opinion.

Pints

18,441 posts

129 months

Wednesday 20th May 2015
quotequote all
Mrs Pints taught me this trick. After all these years I still forget to do it.
Advertisement

redtwin

7,518 posts

117 months

Wednesday 20th May 2015
quotequote all
When my Granddad made them for me 40+years ago in one of those contraptions you held over the hob burner he always buttered the outside. If making them now in a frying pan I will butter the outside, but if it's in the electric toasty maker I leave the bread dry as clean up is easier.

craigjm

8,491 posts

135 months

Wednesday 20th May 2015
quotequote all
I haven't had a toastie for years but I seem to remember as a teenager when Brevilles were all the rage that you buttered the outside to crisp them up and to make sure they didn't weld themselves to the toaster.

Tanguero

4,528 posts

136 months

Wednesday 20th May 2015
quotequote all
Always yes, but you need to use real butter not some blended homogenised flavoured vegetable oil/water emulsion.

PBDirector

561 posts

65 months

Wednesday 20th May 2015
quotequote all
vladcjelli said:
Toastie machine is relegated to the shed now, as all toasted sandwiches are cooked in a medium hot frying pan. No fat added, just a dry pan. Cooked on one side till browned, flipped and repeat.
yep. Plus upturned pint glass to cut a hole in the middle of the bread into which you crack an egg... then "seal" the top with grated cheese.

nom nom nom

http://cdn.instructables.com/FW8/7CJA/GDM6U656/FW8...

Miguel Alvarez

4,764 posts

105 months

Wednesday 20th May 2015
quotequote all
How in the fk have I lost a toaster. Reading this has made me think I quite fancy one then it's dawned on me there isn't one in the house. I bet the missus has lent it out to someone.

And yes butter always. Mmmmmmm cheese and onion toasty

stewies_minion

1,005 posts

122 months

Wednesday 20th May 2015
quotequote all
I'm a convert to the George Foreman school of toastie making.

Butter on the inside. Less mess.

Try peanut butter and jam/ No butter though. Heaven. Jam may be the temperature of the sun though.

GCH

2,533 posts

137 months

Thursday 21st May 2015
quotequote all
PBDirector said:
yep. Plus upturned pint glass to cut a hole in the middle of the bread into which you crack an egg... then "seal" the top with grated cheese.

nom nom nom

http://cdn.instructables.com/FW8/7CJA/GDM6U656/FW8...
https://ape451.wordpress.com/2014/04/21/truffled-egg-toast/

mph1977

12,467 posts

103 months

Thursday 21st May 2015
quotequote all
the toasted sandwich machines seem to do better with butter on the outside ...

doing them i nthe pan or on a george formby grill seems less critical ...

ditto using toast and then microwaving to melt the cheese in the feilling and heat through ( though probably doesn;t work with some fillings )

ambuletz

7,155 posts

116 months

Friday 22nd May 2015
quotequote all
always butter. if not, when you toast the bread to the point of it going black it tastes foul.
Whever I add butter I like it when it turns to black.

don4l

10,058 posts

111 months

Friday 22nd May 2015
quotequote all
MissChief said:
My 13 year old son insisted I butter the outside of his Toastie on Monday morning. I must admit this was pretty alien to me as I've never done that in the past. Filling inside (usually Ham & Cheese. Or is it Cheese and Ham? Perhaps another topic for another time!) and into the pre heated Toastie machine.

So I tried it myself tonight and other than getting ICBINB on my fingers it did seem to taste a bit crunchier on the outside and still soft on the inside whereas sans external butter previously the bread goes quite hard in places and very chewy. So, buttered exterior on a toasted Sandwich? Yay or nay?
I don't have toasties very often, but the Mrs tells me that I do have them buttered on the outside.

I'm not sure how she would react if I started to cook my own meals.

numpty999

2 posts

48 months

Sunday 25th February
quotequote all
mph1977 said:
the toasted sandwich machines seem to do better with butter on the outside ...

doing them i nthe pan or on a george formby grill seems less critical ...

ditto using toast and then microwaving to melt the cheese in the feilling and heat through ( though probably doesn;t work with some fillings )
Was he playing his Ukelele while sandwich was toasting ? (George FOREMAN) 'heh heh'

sc0tt

15,898 posts

136 months

Sunday 25th February
quotequote all
Yes of course.

FiF

33,600 posts

186 months

Sunday 25th February
quotequote all
I know he gets a bad press on here from some, but once you've made his ultimate cheese toastie, there really is only one way to do it. Sorry, all other ways are just inferior.

Jamie Oliver ultimate grilled cheese toastie

rsbmw

2,204 posts

40 months

Sunday 25th February
quotequote all
numpty999 said:
Was he playing his Ukelele while sandwich was toasting ? (George FOREMAN) 'heh heh'
3 years and that's your first post, on a 3 year old thread?? Top lurking sir

Fermit The Krog and Sexy Sarah

4,314 posts

35 months

Sunday 25th February
quotequote all
Yes, completely. I often use thin spread mayo instead, gives them a richer taste, and makes them more golden.