*WARNING* - NEW STEALTH CAMERAS ON M62 LEEDS-HUDDERSFIELD

*WARNING* - NEW STEALTH CAMERAS ON M62 LEEDS-HUDDERSFIELD

Author
Discussion

M666LMJ

Original Poster:

54 posts

94 months

Friday 17th July 2015
quotequote all
A word of caution, noticed some new stealth cameras have recently been installed on the M62 between junction 28 Tingley and junction 26 Chain Bar. This is the stretch the missus uses for her daily commute, there may be more beyond J26. They're not on every gantry, westbound there's one on the 3rd gantry after the entry slip from J28, eastbound there's one on the big gantry before J27 (this one already has Gatsos on it) and another one on the 3rd gantry after the entry slip from J27.

These cameras are both forward and rearward facing, they can be seen on the very far left of the gantry as you drive under it, they're on a shelf located lower down than the electronic speed limit signs. These cameras are not Gatsos, they are in addition to and work independently of any existing Gatsos and do not rely on the lines on the road, ie they will still be reading your speed even when you have travelled beyond the white line markings in the lanes. Incidentally, and this is commonly known, the Gatsos themselves are switched on at all times, even when the variable speed signs are not illuminated, they will capture vehicles travelling in excess of 70mph when the signs are not illuminated (I have seen them flash in these circumstances on numerous occasions).

These new style cameras have already been reported in the press earlier in the year, see link to article below (including a photo illustration) and are now officially resident in West Yorkshire.

BEWARE...Big Brother is watching you!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2916359/Co...


Ste1987

1,798 posts

73 months

Friday 17th July 2015
quotequote all
Bugger! I was doing 80 the other night through there!

EDIT: Google revealed there's already a thread about this

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=2&a...

Edited by Ste1987 on Friday 17th July 10:12

FurtiveFreddy

8,535 posts

204 months

Friday 17th July 2015
quotequote all
There's a significant amount of bks in that DM piece.

Spreading fear and bullst suggesting that "straying marginally over the 70mph limit" will result in "at least £100 in fines and points on their licence" is not that helpful really.

This thread is probably worth reading if you want to understand how these cameras work.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&a...

FurtiveFreddy

8,535 posts

204 months

Friday 17th July 2015
quotequote all
Ste1987 said:
Bugger! I was doing 80 the other night through there!
You will be fine (assuming there wasn't a VSL in place at the time).

justanother5tar

1,314 posts

92 months

Friday 17th July 2015
quotequote all
I see so, so many people looking up at the gantries to spot the cameras. That can't be safe, can it?

jimmybobby

348 posts

73 months

Friday 17th July 2015
quotequote all
These cameras are no more "stealthy" than the gantry cams which are usually hidden behind the signboards. In fact I would argue they are pretty obvious. As to the point about the limits on them personally i wont go through one at even 1mph over as I have seen people get flashed for doing what looked to me no more than 3-4mph over the limit with the matrix boards turned off.

I prefer a safe rather than sorry attitude. If i am going to be done for speeding I would prefer it to be by an intelligent human being and not some pointless revenue generating machine.

Feirny

2,000 posts

114 months

covboy

2,424 posts

141 months

Friday 17th July 2015
quotequote all
jimmybobby said:
"an intelligent human being"
Awaits a reply from the usual suspects !

GPSHead

653 posts

208 months

Friday 17th July 2015
quotequote all
justanother5tar said:
I see so, so many people looking up at the gantries to spot the cameras. That can't be safe, can it?
Why don't people just stay under the speed limit? A number on a sign is a much better judge of the maximum safe speed than the driver, who probably shouldn't even be allowed behind the wheel in the first place. Simple people need simple rules.

(I saw a male driver wearing an earring this morning. We just hand out licences like confetti.)

justanother5tar

1,314 posts

92 months

Friday 17th July 2015
quotequote all
GPSHead said:
justanother5tar said:
I see so, so many people looking up at the gantries to spot the cameras. That can't be safe, can it?
Why don't people just stay under the speed limit? A number on a sign is a much better judge of the maximum safe speed than the driver, who probably shouldn't even be allowed behind the wheel in the first place. Simple people need simple rules.

(I saw a male driver wearing an earring this morning. We just hand out licences like confetti.)
Personally, because the limit on the m/way is just too low.

I can agree with other speed limits as they're generally relative to the hazards around. 20 near schools. 30 in built up etc.

But 70 mph just seems so unnecessary in this day and age for a m/way. Especially if the road is empty, visibility is great and the conditions are good.

tapereel

1,860 posts

83 months

Friday 17th July 2015
quotequote all
M666LMJ said:
A word of caution, noticed some new stealth cameras have recently been installed on the M62 between junction 28 Tingley and junction 26 Chain Bar. This is the stretch the missus uses for her daily commute, there may be more beyond J26. They're not on every gantry, westbound there's one on the 3rd gantry after the entry slip from J28, eastbound there's one on the big gantry before J27 (this one already has Gatsos on it) and another one on the 3rd gantry after the entry slip from J27.

These cameras are both forward and rearward facing, they can be seen on the very far left of the gantry as you drive under it, they're on a shelf located lower down than the electronic speed limit signs. These cameras are not Gatsos, they are in addition to and work independently of any existing Gatsos and do not rely on the lines on the road, ie they will still be reading your speed even when you have travelled beyond the white line markings in the lanes. Incidentally, and this is commonly known, the Gatsos themselves are switched on at all times, even when the variable speed signs are not illuminated, they will capture vehicles travelling in excess of 70mph when the signs are not illuminated (I have seen them flash in these circumstances on numerous occasions).

These new style cameras have already been reported in the press earlier in the year, see link to article below (including a photo illustration) and are now officially resident in West Yorkshire.

BEWARE...Big Brother is watching you!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2916359/Co...
If they are stealthy then how come you have spotted them?

Putting them in plain view of drivers instead of behind signs has of course made them more difficult to spot; how do you work that out?

tapereel

1,860 posts

83 months

Friday 17th July 2015
quotequote all
justanother5tar said:
GPSHead said:
justanother5tar said:
I see so, so many people looking up at the gantries to spot the cameras. That can't be safe, can it?
Why don't people just stay under the speed limit? A number on a sign is a much better judge of the maximum safe speed than the driver, who probably shouldn't even be allowed behind the wheel in the first place. Simple people need simple rules.

(I saw a male driver wearing an earring this morning. We just hand out licences like confetti.)
Personally, because the limit on the m/way is just too low.

I can agree with other speed limits as they're generally relative to the hazards around. 20 near schools. 30 in built up etc.

But 70 mph just seems so unnecessary in this day and age for a m/way. Especially if the road is empty, visibility is great and the conditions are good.
Lookig up at the gantries isn't safe so don't do it you don't need to.

There is no advice anywhere that says you can do more than the speed limit because "the road is empty, visibility is great and conditions are good" so if you have decided that you will exceed the limit and you need to avoid cameras by carrying out unsafe observations that is your fault. It is you that is converting something you see as safe into an unsafe and unreasonable behaviour.
That can't be safe can it?

justanother5tar

1,314 posts

92 months

Friday 17th July 2015
quotequote all
tapereel said:
justanother5tar said:
GPSHead said:
justanother5tar said:
I see so, so many people looking up at the gantries to spot the cameras. That can't be safe, can it?
Why don't people just stay under the speed limit? A number on a sign is a much better judge of the maximum safe speed than the driver, who probably shouldn't even be allowed behind the wheel in the first place. Simple people need simple rules.

(I saw a male driver wearing an earring this morning. We just hand out licences like confetti.)
Personally, because the limit on the m/way is just too low.

I can agree with other speed limits as they're generally relative to the hazards around. 20 near schools. 30 in built up etc.

But 70 mph just seems so unnecessary in this day and age for a m/way. Especially if the road is empty, visibility is great and the conditions are good.
Lookig up at the gantries isn't safe so don't do it you don't need to.

There is no advice anywhere that says you can do more than the speed limit because "the road is empty, visibility is great and conditions are good" so if you have decided that you will exceed the limit and you need to avoid cameras by carrying out unsafe observations that is your fault. It is you that is converting something you see as safe into an unsafe and unreasonable behaviour.
That can't be safe can it?
Never said I tank it down the m/way looking up. If I get caught, I get caught. Im a big boy, I can't take a punishment if i deserve it.

My point was that I see many, many people doing it.

My views about m/way speed limits and acceptable conditions are a completely separate thing.

tapereel

1,860 posts

83 months

Friday 17th July 2015
quotequote all
justanother5tar said:
tapereel said:
justanother5tar said:
GPSHead said:
justanother5tar said:
I see so, so many people looking up at the gantries to spot the cameras. That can't be safe, can it?
Why don't people just stay under the speed limit? A number on a sign is a much better judge of the maximum safe speed than the driver, who probably shouldn't even be allowed behind the wheel in the first place. Simple people need simple rules.

(I saw a male driver wearing an earring this morning. We just hand out licences like confetti.)
Personally, because the limit on the m/way is just too low.

I can agree with other speed limits as they're generally relative to the hazards around. 20 near schools. 30 in built up etc.

But 70 mph just seems so unnecessary in this day and age for a m/way. Especially if the road is empty, visibility is great and the conditions are good.
Lookig up at the gantries isn't safe so don't do it you don't need to.

There is no advice anywhere that says you can do more than the speed limit because "the road is empty, visibility is great and conditions are good" so if you have decided that you will exceed the limit and you need to avoid cameras by carrying out unsafe observations that is your fault. It is you that is converting something you see as safe into an unsafe and unreasonable behaviour.
That can't be safe can it?
Never said I tank it down the m/way looking up. If I get caught, I get caught. Im a big boy, I can't take a punishment if i deserve it.

My point was that I see many, many people doing it.

My views about m/way speed limits and acceptable conditions are a completely separate thing.
I'm convinced you do nothing of the sort. You have just made that up. Who drives on the motorway looking at where other drivers are looking in a way that would allow them to make that statement? You seem to be saying it to prove your point, such as it was.

justanother5tar

1,314 posts

92 months

Friday 17th July 2015
quotequote all
tapereel said:
I'm convinced you do nothing of the sort. You have just made that up. Who drives on the motorway looking at where other drivers are looking in a way that would allow them to make that statement? You seem to be saying it to prove your point, such as it was.
Its not really hard to see someone leaning under their sun visor is it?

If i was to make something up, it'd be worthwhile at the very least. I can think of much better things to make lies about than people looking at motorway gantries.

Defcon5

5,658 posts

158 months

Friday 17th July 2015
quotequote all
So try have put speed cameras on top of speed cameras?

What's the point? To me that suggests the variable speed cameras don't work when the limit is 70, as why would they need this extra camera?

FurtiveFreddy

8,535 posts

204 months

Friday 17th July 2015
quotequote all
Defcon5 said:
So try have put speed cameras on top of speed cameras?

What's the point? To me that suggests the variable speed cameras don't work when the limit is 70, as why would they need this extra camera?
They don't install HADECS3 cameras at the same gantries they already have the older HADECS cameras.

The HADECS3 cameras are the only type of motorway speed camera currently being installed at new sites because they are more cost effective.

They could all be configured to nab you at any speed, regardless of whether it's a VSL limit or not. It's up to the operators and Police to decide how they are used and what trigger speeds they set.

If you feel safer not going 1mph over the posted limit when you pass these cameras, then that's fine, as long as you stay in lane 1 and don't jam your brakes on just before each and every gantry.

Jim1556

1,692 posts

123 months

Friday 17th July 2015
quotequote all
And yet, I did an indicated 165+ the other day (159 mph GPS), would've been more if those pesky trucks weren't there...

No children died, fluffy bunnies didn't get squished etc...

Speed can be completely safe if the conditions allow!

Devil2575

13,400 posts

155 months

Friday 17th July 2015
quotequote all
Jim1556 said:
And yet, I did an indicated 165+ the other day (159 mph GPS), would've been more if those pesky trucks weren't there...

No children died, fluffy bunnies didn't get squished etc...

Speed can be completely safe if the conditions allow!
You can't draw that conclusion.

Just because you did something and no one got hurt does not mean it was safe.

I once went round a completely blind corner on the wrong side of the road. No one died. Going round blind corners can be competely safe if conditions allow.

Aldos Army

239 posts

157 months

Friday 17th July 2015
quotequote all
The cameras themselves even look like they have faces. Robots!!