RE: First A90 Supra fetches ?1.6m at auction

RE: First A90 Supra fetches ?1.6m at auction

Monday 21st January

First A90 Supra fetches £1.6m at auction

Selling for millions in the US, and apparently sold out here, the Supra's launch edition is causing quite a stir...



Remember last week, when a US dealer purchased a mint condition Mk.4 Toyota Supra for just shy of £100,000 and then put it up for sale for more than double that amount? Well now the new car is getting in on the act, with the very first Mk.5 Supra having gone under the hammer as part of Barrett-Jackson's Scottsdale charity auction on Saturday. The final price? $2.1 million (around £1.6 million at current exchange rates).

The car itself, dubbed "Global #1" is finished in an exclusive combination of matte gray paint with red mirrors and matte black wheels. Inside, meanwhile, it features a red interior with carbon-fibre inserts identifying it as the first of the U.S. market's launch edition cars. Proper car geeks may get a kick out of the knowledge that Global #1's VIN ends in 20201 - '2020' representing the U.S. model year of those first customer Supras and '1' denoting its status as the first example off the production line - the only Supra that will be so satisfyingly labeled.


The launch edition car has been making headlines on this side of the Atlantic, too, although for rather different reasons. Toyota was reportedly forced to announce its "sincere regret" after demand for the limited-run A90 Special Editions overwhelmed its website. This apparently resulted in several customers being allowed to successfully place their £1,000 deposits for the car, despite the UK's allocation of 24 cars having already sold out.

The affected customers have been given the option of having their money refunded and cancelling the orders all together, or shifting their deposits over to orders for the range-topping Supra 3.0L Pro, including a free two-year service plan and an invitation to attend a Toyota Gazoo Motorsport event as a guest of the company. Whether Toyota is making millions for charity by flogging the car, or having to return customers' money due to excessive demand, though, we're sure that someone in Toyota City will be pleased with the enormous amount of attention their new sports car is getting.


Author
Discussion

housen

Original Poster:

1,438 posts

130 months

Monday 21st January
quotequote all
well that's gonna mess up depreciation % stats

talksthetorque

5,657 posts

73 months

Monday 21st January
quotequote all
article said:
Global #1's VIN ends in 20201 - '2020' representing the year the U.S. model year of those first customer Supras and '1' denoting its status as the first example off the production line
Does this mean they are only producing 9?


Edited by talksthetorque on Monday 21st January 17:09

James Junior

746 posts

95 months

Monday 21st January
quotequote all
I am no fanboy, but as a current owner of a MK4 Supra TT6 and an MK2 MR2 Turbo it's fair to say I have quite a bit of goodwill towards Toyota.

During the (tortuously long) development cycle of the new Supra I remained upbeat about the BMW/ Toyota joint venture, despite it coming in for heavy criticism from purists and internet know-it-alls.

I can't help but feel utterly deflated with the final product however. Subjective I know, but the proportions look all squashed and unnatural to my eye, with tacky embellishments stuck on in various places inside and out. I think it's a bit embarrassing for Toyota actually, that after all their hype this is the final product. What a mess.

The unapologetic BMW iDrive screen plonked on the dash feels like one last own goal by Toyota and ironic given the need to put as much clear blue water as possible between the finished product and it's BMW roots to appease the naysayers. The fact that they will also be releasing a watered down 2.0 version feels like the final twist of the knife as they sell the Supra legacy down the river.

As a JDM fan I despair at the current state of the Japanese performance car sector. I know this part of the market isn't exactly known for it's conservatism, but almost everything seems designed to appeal to spotty teenagers or chavs. The gawky GT86, vulgar RCF, cartoonish Civic Type R and now this tacky Supra. The GTR is what it is and the NSX looks awesome, but both are out of the reach of most ordinary punters.

The new Supra was an opportunity for Toyota to give us a grown up sports car that could compete with the F Type/ M2/ Cayman/ Alpine. Whilst clearly it is a very capable car, on looks and image I cannot imagine it tempting many buyers away from the established options.







Edited by James Junior on Monday 21st January 16:33


Edited by James Junior on Monday 21st January 16:34

Shuvi McTupya

21,720 posts

185 months

Monday 21st January
quotequote all
Is it sitting on axle stands?

cib24

685 posts

91 months

Monday 21st January
quotequote all
The price of this Supra is meaningless as it is a charity auction. This type of auction is the environment where really rich people throw their money around to one up one another and make a statement that they have so much money they can throw it away huge amounts of cash on whatever and claim it as a tax write-off later. It doesn't matter what the item is that is for sale, these auctions are designed to get huge amounts of cash pledged for charity and tax write-off purposes.

It is not indicative of what the normal market would see as the value attributed to the new Supra.
Advertisement

WCZ

6,149 posts

132 months

Monday 21st January
quotequote all
makes the old one look good value at $350k

where's the roof on these, several millions?

vz-r_dave

3,330 posts

156 months

Monday 21st January
quotequote all
James Junior said:
I am no fanboy, but as a current owner of a MK4 Supra TT6 and an MK2 MR2 Turbo it's fair to say I have quite a bit of goodwill towards Toyota.

During the (tortuously long) development cycle of the new Supra I remained upbeat about the BMW/ Toyota joint venture, despite it coming in for heavy criticism from purists and internet know-it-alls.

I can't help but feel utterly deflated with the final product however. Subjective I know, but the proportions look all squashed and unnatural to my eye, with tacky embellishments stuck on in various places inside and out. I think it's a bit embarrassing for Toyota actually, that after all their hype this is the final product. What a mess.

The unapologetic BMW iDrive screen plonked on the dash feels like one last own goal by Toyota and ironic given the need to put as much clear blue water as possible between the finished product and it's BMW roots to appease the naysayers. The fact that they will also be releasing a watered down 2.0 version feels like the final twist of the knife as they sell the Supra legacy down the river.

As a JDM fan I despair at the current state of the Japanese performance car sector. I know this part of the market isn't exactly known for it's conservatism, but almost everything seems designed to appeal to spotty teenagers or chavs. The gawky GT86, vulgar RCF, cartoonish Civic Type R and now this tacky Supra. The GTR is what it is and the NSX looks awesome, but both are out of the reach of most ordinary punters.





Are you serious.... cartoonish Civic Type R probably being the best hot hatch ever, certainly the top of the bunch today, the RFC with its NA V8, the new LFC with the same NA V8, the GTR and the NSX.... PH is all about the aesthetics and willy waving it seems these days.


oilit

588 posts

116 months

Monday 21st January
quotequote all
cib24 said:
The price of this Supra is meaningless as it is a charity auction. This type of auction is the environment where really rich people throw their money around to one up one another and make a statement that they have so much money they can throw it away huge amounts of cash on whatever and claim it as a tax write-off later. It doesn't matter what the item is that is for sale, these auctions are designed to get huge amounts of cash pledged for charity and tax write-off purposes.

It is not indicative of what the normal market would see as the value attributed to the new Supra.
yep well summarized

Edible Roadkill

788 posts

115 months

Monday 21st January
quotequote all
Charity auction, says nothing about the value of the object It could have been 1.6B the amount is irrelevant.

What is relevant is no matter how many times I see the new supra it gets no more pleasing to the eye.

Mackofthejungle

804 posts

133 months

Monday 21st January
quotequote all
Good for the charity, nothing to do with the car though I'm sure, which will be sold on fairly quick for market value. Nobody who can afford to give 1.6 million to charity is going to keep a Z4 in drag - you don't that kind of money being daft.

Schmed

786 posts

10 months

Monday 21st January
quotequote all
Ha ha, no one would ever pay 1.6m for an Alpine Renault, no matter what charity !

vz-r_dave

3,330 posts

156 months

Monday 21st January
quotequote all
Edible Roadkill said:
Charity auction, says nothing about the value of the object It could have been 1.6B the amount is irrelevant.

What is relevant is no matter how many times I see the new supra it gets no more pleasing to the eye.
How many have you seen? I didnt know they were on the road yet.

curlie467

7,650 posts

139 months

Monday 21st January
quotequote all
vz-r_dave said:
Edible Roadkill said:
Charity auction, says nothing about the value of the object It could have been 1.6B the amount is irrelevant.

What is relevant is no matter how many times I see the new supra it gets no more pleasing to the eye.
How many have you seen? I didnt know they were on the road yet.
Really laugh

Klippie

1,440 posts

83 months

Monday 21st January
quotequote all
Is it just me or does that look hideous in a ugly kind of way.

vz-r_dave

3,330 posts

156 months

Monday 21st January
quotequote all
Klippie said:
Is it just me or does that look hideous in a ugly kind of way.
Seriously what am I missing, must be living in a box as I have yet to see one anywhere in the UK.

Shuvi McTupya

21,720 posts

185 months

Monday 21st January
quotequote all
Klippie said:
Is it just me or does that look hideous in a ugly kind of way.
It's not the prettiest. I wouldn't pay a penny more than £1.2m for it, but I would expect it to be closer to about £40k

fernando the frog

93 posts

6 months

Monday 21st January
quotequote all
James Junior said:
I am no fanboy, but as a current owner of a MK4 Supra TT6 and an MK2 MR2 Turbo it's fair to say I have quite a bit of goodwill towards Toyota.

During the (tortuously long) development cycle of the new Supra I remained upbeat about the BMW/ Toyota joint venture, despite it coming in for heavy criticism from purists and internet know-it-alls.

I can't help but feel utterly deflated with the final product however. Subjective I know, but the proportions look all squashed and unnatural to my eye, with tacky embellishments stuck on in various places inside and out. I think it's a bit embarrassing for Toyota actually, that after all their hype this is the final product. What a mess.

The unapologetic BMW iDrive screen plonked on the dash feels like one last own goal by Toyota and ironic given the need to put as much clear blue water as possible between the finished product and it's BMW roots to appease the naysayers. The fact that they will also be releasing a watered down 2.0 version feels like the final twist of the knife as they sell the Supra legacy down the river.

As a JDM fan I despair at the current state of the Japanese performance car sector. I know this part of the market isn't exactly known for it's conservatism, but almost everything seems designed to appeal to spotty teenagers or chavs. The gawky GT86, vulgar RCF, cartoonish Civic Type R and now this tacky Supra. The GTR is what it is and the NSX looks awesome, but both are out of the reach of most ordinary punters.

The new Supra was an opportunity for Toyota to give us a grown up sports car that could compete with the F Type/ M2/ Cayman/ Alpine. Whilst clearly it is a very capable car, on looks and image I cannot imagine it tempting many buyers away from the established options.







Edited by James Junior on Monday 21st January 16:33


Edited by James Junior on Monday 21st January 16:34
i largely agree with your sentiments but i think the RCF and GT86 are both very good cars, in fact I think everything Lexus put out is excellent

James Junior

746 posts

95 months

Monday 21st January
quotequote all
vz-r_dave said:
Are you serious.... cartoonish Civic Type R probably being the best hot hatch ever, certainly the top of the bunch today, the RFC with its NA V8, the new LFC with the same NA V8, the GTR and the NSX.... PH is all about the aesthetics and willy waving it seems these days.
Ha - I am not sure it's entirely fair to pin the (supposed) falling standards of the entirety of Pistonheads on my single post!

It's not about willy waving and certainly not doubting the performance credentials of cars like the CTR.

I just wish the Japanese manufacturers would make something a bit more grown up and with a bit more class. I am literally the exact target audience of the new Supra as I am in the market for a new sports car at this price point. I just don't want to drive something that looks like it was styled by a teenager playing Need for Speed Underground.



Ahbefive

11,526 posts

110 months

Monday 21st January
quotequote all
Still looks absolutely gopping. Hopefully the aftermarket can fix it.

Lincsls1

739 posts

78 months

Monday 21st January
quotequote all
To me, it really just looks like a GT86 after a couple of years on Roids and a hard training regime!
Bonkers money, each to their own I suppose.