RE: Next BMW M3 confirmed as all-wheel drive...

RE: Next BMW M3 confirmed as all-wheel drive...

Tuesday 22nd October 2019

G80 BMW M3 leaks online | Update

We know it's going to be all-wheel drive; now we know what it looks like from the back



You’re looking at the first image of BMW’s G80 M3 to leak online, offering an early glimpse of the 500hp+ model’s new back end several months before its anticipated reveal. While the view is obviously limited, it shows the sort of modifications we’d expect from the part-time rear-drive saloon, including a quad-exit exhaust system, large rear diffuser and muscular bumpers. BMW isn’t set to launch its new C63 rival until next year, so we’re probably looking at a pre-production car – much like the one our spy snapper caught hammering around the β€˜Ring in recent months.

Like those test mules, the visible differences between this M3 and, say, the M340i, don’t look too significant, partly thanks to the inherent baseline of aggression instilled in this latest 3 Series’ design. Although we should probably hold judgement for now as it’s clearly not a finished car – the diffuser lacks the top layer, for example. And without a wider view to see the inevitably bigger wheels, extended side skirts and (we hope) bonnet bulge, those earlier spy pictures still offer the most useful visual guide to where the G80 M3 is ultimately headed.Β 

BMW has already confirmed that it will be getting an M5-mimicking all-wheel drive system, which will be all-wheel drive by default but switchable to rear-drive at the touch of a button. We also know through information leaks that three versions of the car are due, with the top Competition version providing an anticipated headline output of 510hp from the turbocharged S58 straight-six. Potentially more exciting is the rumoured Pure entry-model, which’ll be both cheaper and exclusively rear-wheel drive.

Original story - 05.08.2019


Any BMW M3 news is big news on PistonHeads - there are dozens of owners on here, the cars remain top searches on the classifieds, and they make great feature fodder, too. It's the archetypal BMW M car, so big changes are treated with some suspicion, as in the outgoing version using a turbocharged engine. But those concerns have stretched back more than a quarter of a century, to when the E36 M3 switched homologation hardcore for straight-six silkiness, and the car made it through that, so all-wheel drive shouldn't be a problem...

That's right, the star of a thousand cornering shots will now feature four driven wheels. That's according to Car Magazine, which has interviewed M Division boss Markus Flasch. "Drivetrain-wise, think about the M5's all-wheel drive system - we are able to put it in the M3 as well. It'll be very similar." So there. However, given how clever the larger car's M xDrive system has proved itself, delivering damn near all the benefits of four- and rear-wheel drive, that shouldn't be considered too treacherous a move.


Especially so as, for the truly committed, the much-rumoured manual, rear-wheel drive Pure M3 will be offered, also confirmed by Flasch. Power for that car hasn't been confirmed; the regular M3 will mimic the Mercedes-AMG C63 line-up with two power outputs - the new S58 straight-six will have 510hp in Competition form (as in the X3 M, and matching exactly the C63 S), or 480hp as standard.

With this sort of key information being revealed about the G80 M3 by the big boss, a full reveal can't be far off, especially with the standard 3 Series now well established. The last F80 car was shown at the Detroit show in 2014 ahead of a drive four months later; with that expo now moved into the summer months, next month's Frankfurt show might make the most sense for a debut. After all, the German manufacturers will often try to outdo each other at the home events, and nothing quite grabs the attention like a new M3. More news as we have it!



Author
Discussion

wab172uk

Original Poster:

1,675 posts

182 months

Monday 5th August 2019
quotequote all
Why not offer a Manual with AWD? That's my preferred option.

Then give it that button, like on the M5, to turn the AWD off.

essayer

6,642 posts

149 months

Monday 5th August 2019
quotequote all
Shame it’s not electric

AmosMoses

3,762 posts

120 months

Monday 5th August 2019
quotequote all
Judging by how lively the outgoing m3 was, 4wd will be a good addition. I'd still take the manual rwd one though.

simonbamg

767 posts

78 months

Monday 5th August 2019
quotequote all
Excellent news

dunc_sx

1,153 posts

152 months

Monday 5th August 2019
quotequote all
Disastrous news frown

Pistonheader101

1,226 posts

62 months

Monday 5th August 2019
quotequote all
Fantastic news

Electronicpants

2,018 posts

143 months

Monday 5th August 2019
quotequote all
News

Cups Renault

51 posts

156 months

Monday 5th August 2019
quotequote all
BMW continuing their journey into irrelevance.

Terrible news for proper BMW fans, great news for Audi drivers.

I await news of the next phase m2 going 4 pot and all wheel drive.

RobM77

34,211 posts

189 months

Monday 5th August 2019
quotequote all
I welcome the split between 4WD and RWD. Porsche of course did the same thing with the last GT3 by offering the GT3 with a paddleshift and a new '911R' model with a full manual box. The reason I welcome this split is that there are going to be lots more differences between a car centred around driving pleasure and a car centred around performance, and splitting the two lines means that BMW can focus the 'Pure M3' even further. driving

Jon_S_Rally

820 posts

43 months

Monday 5th August 2019
quotequote all
I totally see why they're doing it, but it is a bit sad how we're moving towards a place where all cars are essentially the same. I remember the Top Gear film where they tested the M3, C63 and RS4 at a track in Spain (I think it was Spain anyway). Although they were all V8s, they represented three very different approaches to the sports saloon, with high-revving precision, sledgehammer aggression and 4WD planted-ness respectively. I can't help but feel that some of that has now been lost.

It's a shame, but the reality of the market I guess.

SidewaysSi

7,326 posts

189 months

Monday 5th August 2019
quotequote all
essayer said:
Shame it’s not electric
I know, damn shame. What are they smoking?

Futse

155 posts

140 months

Monday 5th August 2019
quotequote all
SidewaysSi said:
essayer said:
Shame it’s not electric
I know, damn shame. What are they smoking?
Smoking rubber and sniffing petrol? :-)

Wills2

17,084 posts

130 months

Monday 5th August 2019
quotequote all
Wait till you see the grilles, that camo is hiding a pair of monster grilles apparently.

RobM77

34,211 posts

189 months

Monday 5th August 2019
quotequote all
Jon_S_Rally said:
I totally see why they're doing it, but it is a bit sad how we're moving towards a place where all cars are essentially the same. I remember the Top Gear film where they tested the M3, C63 and RS4 at a track in Spain (I think it was Spain anyway). Although they were all V8s, they represented three very different approaches to the sports saloon, with high-revving precision, sledgehammer aggression and 4WD planted-ness respectively. I can't help but feel that some of that has now been lost.

It's a shame, but the reality of the market I guess.
yes I totally agree with that. I made the same comment on a 140i thread. Engines, drivetrain and size/shape are all converging. Gone are the days where a 4WD 5 cyl Audi RS competed with a V8 RWD AMG Merc and a raspy 6 cyl BMW M car.

Harry_523

208 posts

54 months

Monday 5th August 2019
quotequote all
RobM77 said:
yes I totally agree with that. I made the same comment on a 140i thread. Engines, drivetrain and size/shape are all converging. Gone are the days where a 4WD 5 cyl Audi RS competed with a V8 RWD AMG Merc and a raspy 6 cyl BMW M car.
RS3, M2, A45s (lets call that half a v8 biggrin )

I think it the 3 series and above range there is still some variety (v6 in alfa and audi, v8 in AMGs, I6s in BMW), but totally agree that the world has far too many 2 liter, 4cylinder, 4wd, dsg hatchbacks

RSTurboPaul

1,667 posts

213 months

Monday 5th August 2019
quotequote all
I'm pleased to see people actually interested in driving, rather than having the fastest thing possible on PCP to show off their 'lifestyle', will be catered for by the 'Pure' version.

More manufacturers should do it - as I think evo magazine suggested about the 911, imagine a world where you could spec an empty shell with a drivetrain and suspension setup of your choice, then add as much or as little as you wanted in terms of interior trim and gadgets.

Stripped out RWD racer with a manual box, mechanical LSD and carbon buckets but no electronic gadgets whatsoever? No problem, sir.
'Touring' spec with race-spec suspension but leather, A/C, recliners and ABS? Certainly.
'Lux' spec with magnetorheological dampers, several cows worth of leather, electric memory seats and all the gadgets? Sign here.


In an ideal world the stripped-out version (including the M3 Pure) should be much cheaper, but I think we all know examples where less (stuff) = more (money)...

Debaser

3,570 posts

216 months

Monday 5th August 2019
quotequote all
The M3 Pure sounds interesting.

RobM77

34,211 posts

189 months

Monday 5th August 2019
quotequote all
Harry_523 said:
RobM77 said:
yes I totally agree with that. I made the same comment on a 140i thread. Engines, drivetrain and size/shape are all converging. Gone are the days where a 4WD 5 cyl Audi RS competed with a V8 RWD AMG Merc and a raspy 6 cyl BMW M car.
RS3, M2, A45s (lets call that half a v8 biggrin )

I think it the 3 series and above range there is still some variety (v6 in alfa and audi, v8 in AMGs, I6s in BMW), but totally agree that the world has far too many 2 liter, 4cylinder, 4wd, dsg hatchbacks
yes Thus my comment on the 140i thread - all those cars in that segment are converging on the same thing, which is a pity. The same is happening for base spec models now that the 1 series has gone FWD.

Tickle

3,801 posts

159 months

Monday 5th August 2019
quotequote all
RSTurboPaul said:
I'm pleased to see people actually interested in driving, rather than having the fastest thing possible on PCP to show off their 'lifestyle', will be catered for by the 'Pure' version.
'Pure' only available for cash buyers too

Wills2

17,084 posts

130 months

Monday 5th August 2019
quotequote all
Tickle said:
RSTurboPaul said:
I'm pleased to see people actually interested in driving, rather than having the fastest thing possible on PCP to show off their 'lifestyle', will be catered for by the 'Pure' version.
'Pure' only available for cash buyers too
But only if you go in dressed as tramp with the money in a plastic shopping bag, having been turned away from a Porsche and Merc dealer, you also have to promise to drive back to those dealers on collection of the car.

You can then become the subject of one of those "I knew a bloke who...." threads on PH.