Toyota Vitz RS Turbo | Spotted

Toyota Vitz RS Turbo | Spotted

Monday 20th January

Toyota Vitz RS Turbo | Spotted

GR whetted the appetite for a fast Yaris? Try the original!



Has the Toyota GR Yaris already earned the title of 2020's most exciting car, just two weeks in? It's got to be in contention, combining WRC attitude with loads of power, not much weight and some clever chassis technology. It's especially notable for being a Yaris, too; Toyota may have committed to more performance cars than many manufacturers recently but, despite the rally link, it's a surprise to see such a serious Yaris in the pipeline.

All other hot hatch offshoots from the model in its two decades on sale have been pretty tame. In the UK we've had various SR and T Sports over the years, but nothing that's really captured the imagination of pocket rocket buyers in the vein of cars like the Suzuki Swift Sport and Fiat Panda 100HP.


There have been exciting Yarises, though - they've just been confined to Toyota's homeland. Consider the Vitz RS Turbo. The Vitz was the Yaris's name in Japan, RS was the equivalent of a T Sport and then, for just two model years, the RS was the turbocharged flagship. It came with 150hp - more than enough in a car that weighs less than a tonne - as well as a limited-slip diff and, in certain specs, Bilstein suspension as well. Accompanied by various TRD bits inside and out, plus a jazzy bodykit, it had all the ingredients of a proper fast Yaris. Only one we never got to experience.

Now though, thanks to the tombola-like turnover of the PH classifieds, there's a pristine Vitz RS Turbo for sale, in Bedfordshire of all places. It's interesting, too, as there are one or two commonalities between this car and the latest GR: there's just 100cc or so between engine sizes, they're both light for their class and both have limited-slip diffs on the front - admittedly the GR's is optional, and supported by a rear one. Not exactly blood brothers, sure, but worth a mention.


The RS Turbo in question looks lovely; recently imported from Japan, it's showing just 60,000 miles and is super clean inside and out - even the bespoke floor mats have survived 15 years largely unscathed. Despite only being imported in October, it's already had an oil and filter change, new plugs, four fresh Michelins and 12 month's MOT put on it.

Sure, six thousand pounds most certainly buys all sorts of very good hot hatch - see this Clio 200 Cup, for example - and the money might seem like lunacy to many for a Yaris from the mid-2000s. But it's a really interesting curio for those willing to consider a left-field option, and an affordable route into JDM ownership. Keep the Vitz protected against rust, prepare your best few sentences for explaining what it is and enjoy - thanks to the GR, it's okay to like a fast Yaris now!


SPECIFICATION - TOYOTA VITZ RS TURBO
Engine:
1,497cc, four-cyl turbo
Transmission: 5-speed manual, front-wheel drive
Power (hp): 150@6,400rpm
Torque (lb ft): 145@4,400rpm
MPG: 35ish
CO2: 164g/km
First registered: 2004
Recorded mileage: 60,000
Price new: Β£N/A
Yours for: Β£5,995

See the original advert here


Β 

Β 

Β 

Author
Discussion

adingley84

Original Poster:

332 posts

114 months

Monday 20th January
quotequote all
Yet another Gran Turismo wonder from Japan! Sure I bought 'mine' in this blue too

miken2k8

135 posts

35 months

Monday 20th January
quotequote all
Would rather a 182 tbh save the 4k for a nice holiday

steveb8189

261 posts

143 months

Monday 20th January
quotequote all
Never knew these existed, great find.

I feel with the widened body kit they could have put some wider wheels or at least some sort of spacer in

AmosMoses

3,684 posts

117 months

Monday 20th January
quotequote all
Awesome little cars.

designforlife

3,618 posts

115 months

Monday 20th January
quotequote all
These are ace, although I personally think £6k is pretty strong money, £4k or thereabouts would put it right in there.

The turbo gubbins and gearbox on this is a direct bolt on to my Toyota bB...hmmm


Dr G

13,881 posts

194 months

Monday 20th January
quotequote all
designforlife said:
These are ace, although I personally think £6k is pretty strong money, £4k or thereabouts would put it right in there.
Speculation of course but I imagine were you to bring one over yourself you'd be in this ball park. There's always then the slight lottery of 'sorting it' post arrival.

Someone shopping for a 2 grand Clio probably isn't also in the market for a one of these so there's certainly something to be said for it already being here and available to view before pulling the trigger.

Rumblestripe

1,418 posts

114 months

Monday 20th January
quotequote all
I didn't think these existed outside GT!

People will just think it's a "Barried" Yaris and I think that's a plus. Like it.

designforlife

3,618 posts

115 months

Monday 20th January
quotequote all
Dr G said:
designforlife said:
These are ace, although I personally think £6k is pretty strong money, £4k or thereabouts would put it right in there.
Speculation of course but I imagine were you to bring one over yourself you'd be in this ball park. There's always then the slight lottery of 'sorting it' post arrival.

Someone shopping for a 2 grand Clio probably isn't also in the market for a one of these so there's certainly something to be said for it already being here and available to view before pulling the trigger.
Yeah I've no doubt that would be about the cost these days... the trick with JDM stuff is to wait until the first UK owner invariably decides to flip it, great way to get into an import that's only been here a year or two for usually less than importing yourself. Paid £2k for my bB that has been in the UK a couple of years, importing the same one would probably have been over £4k easy.


You would have to *really* want one of these for £6k, that said it looks a very tidy example and they are reliable little things... 150 bhp in 1050kg is always going to be a hoot.

The only down side is the rubbish turning circle!

designforlife

3,618 posts

115 months

Monday 20th January
quotequote all
steveb8189 said:
I feel with the widened body kit they could have put some wider wheels or at least some sort of spacer in
The early Yaris have a narrower track at the rear from factory for some reason (i guess they had one but I don't know offhand what it is!). It is much more obvious on this one because of the bodykit.

A set of 5mm spacers on the back and some wider wheels will reduce it, you can run up to 8" wide wheels on these with no trouble.

Ankh87

94 posts

54 months

Monday 20th January
quotequote all
These Yaris very few and far between. Hardly any here in the UK, maybe a handful. 150bhp in a car around the 950kg mark is pretty crazy.

The price is steep due to how rare this is here in the UK. It's basically a modern Glanza V but they aren't as tuneable that's for sure. If these were sold in the UK then they'd have sold a fair amount as they are really sort after in the Yaris world but the prices are just ridiculous so many people just don't bother.

The blue is also a rare colour so that is anything reason why the price is high.

s m

18,611 posts

155 months

Monday 20th January
quotequote all
This looks a very similar ethos to the Mitsubishi Colt CZT that was on sale here for a few years a decade or so ago

A 1.5 Turbo with around 150bhp and weighing around the same as this

You can get them pretty cheap plus also in convertible format

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/mitsubishi/co...

When Tiff ran the Integrale and E30 M3 around Anglesey in an old 5th Gear episode, he mentioned they were both a bit slower than one of these which had been tested in an earlier episode

designforlife

3,618 posts

115 months

Monday 20th January
quotequote all
Colt CZT are a bargain these days, you can grab one for little over a grand.

s m

18,611 posts

155 months

Monday 20th January
quotequote all
designforlife said:
Colt CZT are a bargain these days, you can grab one for little over a grand.
Yes anything from a grand for an early one up to £4500 for a 2009 model

Ankh87

94 posts

54 months

Monday 20th January
quotequote all
The issue with the Colt is the standard 3 pots in the base models so the CZT didn't get popular as people thought they'd go bang as well.

My issues with the CZT are it's too tall, interior isn't the best, the look isn't for me, seating position is rubbish as well. But if you don't mind that then they are a bargain.

s m

18,611 posts

155 months

Monday 20th January
quotequote all
Ankh87 said:
The issue with the Colt is the standard 3 pots in the base models so the CZT didn't get popular as people thought they'd go bang as well.

My issues with the CZT are it's too tall, interior isn't the best, the look isn't for me, seating position is rubbish as well. But if you don't mind that then they are a bargain.
Here’s the old 5th Gear test

https://youtu.be/VVppN3R3uzI

Predictably out handled and out run by the old Fiesta ST but doesn’t seem too bad if you like something Jap

thiscocks

2,172 posts

147 months

Monday 20th January
quotequote all
designforlife said:
steveb8189 said:
I feel with the widened body kit they could have put some wider wheels or at least some sort of spacer in
The early Yaris have a narrower track at the rear from factory for some reason (i guess they had one but I don't know offhand what it is!). It is much more obvious on this one because of the bodykit.

A set of 5mm spacers on the back and some wider wheels will reduce it, you can run up to 8" wide wheels on these with no trouble.
Probably for handling reasons. If all that matters to you is 'stance' then guess that wouldn't be relevant anyway.

sharkattack

34 posts

58 months

Monday 20th January
quotequote all
Advert has the word "investment" in it. Always an instant turn off for me.

hothatchery7

53 posts

27 months

Monday 20th January
quotequote all
Not worth the money in my opinion. The t-sport was actually a rubbish hot hatch, fair enough this has 150bhp but it’s not that ludicrous. You can’t even compare this to a 106 gti.

Realistically it’s a very niche product that will no doubt be a pain to get correct oem parts for. Big no from me

designforlife

3,618 posts

115 months

Monday 20th January
quotequote all
hothatchery7 said:
Realistically it’s a very niche product that will no doubt be a pain to get correct oem parts for. Big no from me
Dead easy tbh, it's basically a Yaris T-sport with a turbo kit.

Toyota's UK dealer network is also extremely good for sourcing parts for their JDM cars, I've had allsorts brought into my local dealer from Japan for my 20 year old bB, most recently a new glovebox which was about 3 weeks for them to bring over from Japan.


Edited by designforlife on Monday 20th January 15:02

swampy442

350 posts

163 months

Monday 20th January
quotequote all
Ive got one, later model though smile In the project car section if you're interested