9E for Servicing

9E for Servicing

Author
Discussion

2010spy

Original Poster:

1,705 posts

123 months

Wednesday 28th October
quotequote all
Quick question. My Boxster Spyder is 10 years old. I don't have the OPC warranty anymore. Having just been quoted nearly £800 for the minor two-year service, it's time to think differently. What do people think about going outside the network to people like 9E (other specialists are available). I'm assuming that technically it's a very simple job to do a service. Does it impact resale (probably never sell it). Thoughts please?

MrC986

2,676 posts

150 months

Wednesday 28th October
quotequote all
IMO most 10 yr old Porsche’s will have seen a decent specialist by that time & hence it shouldn’t make much difference to it’s long term value.

A decent specialist will know as much, if not more, about the cars as they’ll look for solutions not just to service them, but also to repair rather than just change parts if they have a failure & they’ll have all the necessary diagnostic bits.

The OPCs have in the past had a reduced pricing menu for older cars and they’re servicing so if you’re he’ll bent on an OPC service stamp phone around as sometimes they can get close to indies on the main service items but can raise an eyebrow on things like replacing brakes/brake fluid.

911uk has some very honest reviews on servicing experiencing if you’re looking around & they have a very good forum member whose ex OPC techie now working for a specialist who offers some very good guidance if you need it.

2010spy

Original Poster:

1,705 posts

123 months

Wednesday 28th October
quotequote all
MrC986 said:
IMO most 10 yr old Porsche’s will have seen a decent specialist by that time & hence it shouldn’t make much difference to it’s long term value.

A decent specialist will know as much, if not more, about the cars as they’ll look for solutions not just to service them, but also to repair rather than just change parts if they have a failure & they’ll have all the necessary diagnostic bits.

The OPCs have in the past had a reduced pricing menu for older cars and they’re servicing so if you’re he’ll bent on an OPC service stamp phone around as sometimes they can get close to indies on the main service items but can raise an eyebrow on things like replacing brakes/brake fluid.

911uk has some very honest reviews on servicing experiencing if you’re looking around & they have a very good forum member whose ex OPC techie now working for a specialist who offers some very good guidance if you need it.
Thanks, that's very helpful. Will take a look at 911uk.

v8ksn

4,699 posts

143 months

Wednesday 28th October
quotequote all
I have always believed that the well regarded independents like 9E and JZM etc have a greater desire to maintain and keep their good reputation and therefore do a better job than the OPC's.

IMI A

8,077 posts

160 months

Wednesday 28th October
quotequote all
I tend to give indies like 9e and JZM more complicated work and consumables. I use Porsche Torque too they did a brilliant 380mm brake upgrade for me recently. Maybe call another OPC out of town and make a trip of it booking a fun loan car like a Boxster 4.0? OPC always price match indies too if they possibly can. OPC Swindon worth a call if you fancy taking the long route home smile

I personally think its very nice to keep Porsche service history going especially on a special model like a spyder. If you use OPC/indy in conjunction with each other you really do get the best of both worlds and two sets of eyes better than one.

2010spy

Original Poster:

1,705 posts

123 months

Wednesday 28th October
quotequote all
IMI A said:
I tend to give indies like 9e and JZM more complicated work and consumables. I use Porsche Torque too they did a brilliant 380mm brake upgrade for me recently. Maybe call another OPC out of town and make a trip of it booking a fun loan car like a Boxster 4.0? OPC always price match indies too if they possibly can. OPC Swindon worth a call if you fancy taking the long route home smile

I personally think its very nice to keep Porsche service history going especially on a special model like a spyder. If you use OPC/indy in conjunction with each other you really do get the best of both worlds and two sets of eyes better than one.
Thanks. Good advice. 9e is £380 vs £680 for cheapest OPC. But as you say, might make sense to keep it official.

catsey

212 posts

37 months

Wednesday 28th October
quotequote all
my experience is OPC will put apprentice on job and charge full labour rates
ive been using Indies for past 20 yrs they live of their reputation and customer service Ok you don't get the fit bit off stuff fancy building fancy coffee mineral water etc or nice biscuits you'd get from OPC for which you are paying. but you get individual service and attention etc Ive got a new Indie owner is hands on Porsche trained ex Porsche apprentice of year drives a Porsche and of cloth hat brigade nowt he doesn't know about Porsche around 30yrs experience .
We are lucky up north withy plenty Indies some with worldwide business like Hartech.
No Indie for me all day long


BertBert

14,294 posts

170 months

Wednesday 28th October
quotequote all
catsey said:
my experience is OPC will put apprentice on job and charge full labour rates
Just out of interest, how do you tell that an apprentice did the service?

jimmyslr

712 posts

232 months

Wednesday 28th October
quotequote all
Once the car is over a few years old then independent all the way. I’ve used JZM, 9e and GT One. I’ve never been disappointed and the work done can be much more bespoke. I have sensible discussions about the length of the cracks in brake discs rather than “your disc has a crack and must be replaced”.

When the car is younger then a buyer expects OPC history. After that then some folk do, but it’s less than well informed. That’s not to say it doesn’t matter, but it shouldn’t.

Slippydiff

11,781 posts

182 months

Thursday 29th October
quotequote all
IMI A said:
I tend to give indies like 9e and JZM more complicated work and consumables. I use Porsche Torque too they did a brilliant 380mm brake upgrade for me recently. Maybe call another OPC out of town and make a trip of it booking a fun loan car like a Boxster 4.0? OPC always price match indies too if they possibly can. OPC Swindon worth a call if you fancy taking the long route home smile

I personally think its very nice to keep Porsche service history going especially on a special model like a spyder. If you use OPC/indy in conjunction with each other you really do get the best of both worlds and two sets of eyes better than one.
Based on my own experience, I’d be inclined take the shortest route home, as the town of Swindon has little to offer owners of Stuttgart’s finest.

v8ksn

4,699 posts

143 months

Thursday 29th October
quotequote all
Slippydiff said:
Based on my own experience, I’d be inclined take the shortest route home, as the town of Swindon has little to offer owners of Stuttgart’s finest.
hehe

g7jhp

6,282 posts

197 months

Thursday 29th October
quotequote all
Where are you located 2010spy?

2010spy

Original Poster:

1,705 posts

123 months

Thursday 29th October
quotequote all
g7jhp said:
Where are you located 2010spy?
Guildford

The spinner of plates

14,591 posts

159 months

Thursday 29th October
quotequote all
BertBert said:
catsey said:
my experience is OPC will put apprentice on job and charge full labour rates
Just out of interest, how do you tell that an apprentice did the service?
Because it's probably the easiest job?


Joehow

309 posts

74 months

Saturday 31st October
quotequote all
Big fan of 9e here, and even when a small error was made they dealt with it perfectly.

Ricky who was at JZM now RPM also good.

g7jhp

6,282 posts

197 months

Sunday 1st November
quotequote all
2010spy said:
g7jhp said:
Where are you located 2010spy?
Guildford
I'd definitely go Indie at 10 years old. If you have a good Indie they'll look after it.

We're spoilt in Herts with Jaz (St.Albans), JZM (Kings Langley) and RPM Technik (Tring) on the doorstep.

Can't help with experience of Indies in your area but 9E or GT One always seem to get good reviews.


Edited by g7jhp on Wednesday 4th November 11:23

MRTOAD

117 posts

171 months

Tuesday 3rd November
quotequote all
Precision Porsche near Haywards Heath also excellent.

jayxx83

371 posts

155 months

Wednesday 4th November
quotequote all
Top work from 9e always. With my old Spyder and current 987.2 2.9 with upgrades fitted by then.

Very reasonable and any errors quickly rectified.

IMI A

8,077 posts

160 months

Wednesday 4th November
quotequote all
These wheels via 9e. They do a lot more than just servicing. This sort of even simple mod OPCs can not do let alone an exhaust or sharper suspension etc.


IMI A

8,077 posts

160 months

Wednesday 4th November
quotequote all
Just to say OPC Swindon whilst very good would not fit these wheels (identical offsets size to OEM). They also were not allowed to fit Europipe 2. Odd as both parts better than OEM. Far better quality.