PistonHeads.com Forum

Deteriorate/Deteriate

Author
Discussion

Eric Mc

Original Poster:

94,644 posts

184 months

Thursday 25th November 2010
quotequote all
It has come to my notice recently that hardly anyone can pronounce the word "Deteriorate" correctly anymore.

The words seems to come out as "Deteriate". How has this happened?

Standards are deteriating drastically.

SGirl

7,596 posts

180 months

Thursday 25th November 2010
quotequote all
Eric Mc said:
It has come to my notice recently that hardly anyone can pronounce the word "Deteriorate" correctly anymore.

The words seems to come out as "Deteriate". How has this happened?

Standards are deteriating drastically.
"Drasticly". wink

mattviatura

2,996 posts

119 months

Thursday 25th November 2010
quotequote all
Eric Mc said:
The words seems
Hmmm.

ShadownINja

64,753 posts

201 months

Thursday 25th November 2010
quotequote all
Some world class journalist in the Telegraph wrote that someone ran a stationary company. Presumably, the business was going nowhere. Or he manufactured brakes.

Eric Mc

Original Poster:

94,644 posts

184 months

Thursday 25th November 2010
quotequote all
mattviatura said:
Eric Mc said:
The words seems
Hmmm.
It was a pronunciation query - not a typo query.

I forgive anyone making mistakes (especially me smile), but this pronunciation is not a mistake. It seems to be what a lot of people think is correct. What I wanted to know was, why?
Advertisement

mattviatura

2,996 posts

119 months

Thursday 25th November 2010
quotequote all
Only kidding. It's the same as Haitch or Laura Norder. It just is, don't worry it annoys me as well.

Cock Womble 7

29,908 posts

149 months

Thursday 25th November 2010
quotequote all
It's pacifically cause many people litrelly can't prenounce words proply.

ShadownINja

64,753 posts

201 months

Thursday 25th November 2010
quotequote all
mattviatura said:
Laura Norder.
hehe Had to think about that one for a moment.

Eric Mc

Original Poster:

94,644 posts

184 months

Thursday 25th November 2010
quotequote all
ShadownINja said:
mattviatura said:
Laura Norder.
hehe Had to think about that one for a moment.
She's a very naughty girl.

Bill

35,945 posts

174 months

Thursday 25th November 2010
quotequote all
Eric Mc said:
pronunciation
Ironically, that's another one people struggle with

Justayellowbadge

36,475 posts

161 months

Thursday 25th November 2010
quotequote all
It makes me positively new colour.

Fume troll

4,389 posts

131 months

Thursday 25th November 2010
quotequote all
"Prolly", too. "Battry" and "Proply" really wind me up.

Cheers,

FT.

Catz

4,167 posts

130 months

Thursday 25th November 2010
quotequote all
It's in the "draw".

No it's not! It's in the drawer!

don4l

10,058 posts

95 months

Thursday 25th November 2010
quotequote all
Eric Mc said:
It has come to my notice recently that hardly anyone can pronounce the word "Deteriorate" correctly anymore.

The words seems to come out as "Deteriate". How has this happened?

Standards are deteriating drastically.
Rediculous!


soda

1,131 posts

80 months

Thursday 25th November 2010
quotequote all
I consider myself to be reasonably eloquent but one word always trips me up, comfortably.

I have no problem spelling it but saying it is a different matter, it comes out something like comderfably. I have no idea why this is and indeed it's only this word that causes me any difficulty.

Cock Womble 7

29,908 posts

149 months

Thursday 25th November 2010
quotequote all
Catz said:
It's in the "draw".

No it's not! It's in the drawer!
Oh please, don't start this one again. 'Drawer' and 'draw' are pronounced in exactly the same way.

A 'drawer' is someone who draws.

Eric Mc

Original Poster:

94,644 posts

184 months

Thursday 25th November 2010
quotequote all
Cock Womble 7 said:
Catz said:
It's in the "draw".

No it's not! It's in the drawer!
Oh please, don't start this one again. 'Drawer' and 'draw' are pronounced in exactly the same way.

A 'drawer' is someone who draws.
Accent sometimes dictates how things sound. "Deteriate" has nothing to do with accent. It's just laziness in not spotting the way the word is constructed and the letters that make it up.

redtwin

7,518 posts

101 months

Thursday 25th November 2010
quotequote all
soda said:
I consider myself to be reasonably eloquent but one word always trips me up, comfortably.

I have no problem spelling it but saying it is a different matter, it comes out something like comderfably. I have no idea why this is and indeed it's only this word that causes me any difficulty.
I know the feeling, I am comfortable with "comfortably", but I avoid at all costs saying the word "Brewery". Always comes out as "Bewry" or "Buewewry" or some of Scooby-Dooesque nonsense. hehe


ShadownINja

64,753 posts

201 months

Thursday 25th November 2010
quotequote all
Ok, how do you lot pronounce "chlorine"?

(It is pronounced "klor-reen" btw.)

And while we're at it, "urine".

Edited by ShadownINja on Thursday 25th November 15:42

Office_Monkey

1,917 posts

128 months

Thursday 25th November 2010
quotequote all
Well, if you don't arks a pacific question, you won't get a answer.