The Europa S2, or Type 54, was introduced in April 1968. Per request of the automotive insurance industry, Lotus switched to bolt fasteners (instead of resin bonding) to attach body to frame.
The four-wheel independent suspension was typical of Chapman's thinking; the rear suspension consisted of two relatively large trailing arms, one lower locating link per side, and the axles were used as upper locating links; very similar to Formula racing car designs of that era. Aside from the doors, bonnet, and boot, the body was moulded as a single unit of fibreglass.
The car's handling prompted automotive writers at the time to describe the Europa as the nearest thing to a Formula car for the road.
This Lotus Europa Type 54 benefits from a recent documented restoration which has resulted in a superbly presented historic car in as near original condition as is possible. The car has been painted in Lotus Cirrus White while the interior re trim, carried out by Paul Mattie’s trimmer, is spot on with the dash top, centre console,seats and door trim all as new.
Simple, sparse and sporting help to explain the cockpit of this lightweight vehicle. Being the Type 54 some luxury refinements are afforded such as a mahogany facia and electric windows but make no mistake, the sole purpose of this cockpit is pure driver/machine communication. All instrumentation is functional and period.
Mechanically the car has a Renault 1470cc engine with matching Renault 4 speed gearbox, and has been fitted with fully adjustable Terry Thompson Dampers with 115lb springs. The chassis is a Lotus one while the wheels are the now rare Lotus steel ones along with Chrome Lotus hub caps.
Prior to delivery the vehicle will have been fully serviced, and have a 12 months MOT. It is of course Tax exempt.
We welcome viewings at our premises but please call beforehand to make an appointment.
Number plate not included
- LayoutMid Engined
- Size1,500 cc
- AspirationNormally Aspirated
- Top speed-
- Driven WheelsRear Wheel Drive
- Body typeCoupe
- Vehicle height-
- Vehicle width-
Previous Owners -
Time to sell your car?
Wanting to sell your car? PistonHeads can help you get the best price and that quick sale. Try one of our selling tools today.
- 11,000 miles
- 181 bhp
- 65,461 miles
- 510 bhp
- Used Lotus in Accrington (1)
- Used Lotus in Carlisle (5)
- Used Lotus in Chester (1)
- Used Lotus in Clitheroe (1)
- Used Lotus in Lymm (1)
- Used Lotus in Northwich (14)
- Used Lotus in Oldham (2)
- Used Lotus in Penrith (1)
- Used Lotus in Warrington (1)
- Used Lotus in Wigan (1)
- Used Lotus in Wilmslow (1)
- Used cars in Bristol (2365)
- Used cars in Derby (1604)
- Used cars in Edinburgh (2272)
- Used cars in Glasgow (5528)
- Used cars in Leeds (2537)
- Used cars in Milton Keynes (1615)
- Used cars in Newcastle upon Tyne (1849)
- Used cars in Nottingham (1627)
- Used cars in Peterborough (1610)
- Used cars in Sheffield (1816)
- Used cars in York (1606)
- Used cars in East Midlands (12724)
- Used cars in East of England (15245)
- Used cars in London (5190)
- Used cars in North East (7371)
- Used cars in North West (18533)
- Used cars in Scotland (21546)
- Used cars in South East (22091)
- Used cars in South West (10645)
- Used cars in Wales (4651)
- Used cars in West Midlands (10888)
- Used cars in Yorkshire and The Humber (17214)
No recent searches