A classic C123 Mercedes-Benz 280CE with just 26,902 miles from new.
Rigid torsion-resistant safety cell, impact zones, anti-burst locks, laminated safety windscreen, panoramic safety glass, two easy-close doors, twin-halogen headlights, individually adjusted temperature zones, Motorola push button radio, electric windows, central locking, courtesy lighting, power assisted steering, first aid kit, front and rear centre armrests. Factory fitted options; Metallic paint, electric sunroof. Dealer options; Electric aerial.
Synonymous with the pinnacle era of legendary Mercedes-Benz build quality, the craftsmanship displayed with this C123 280CE is simply breath-takingly. Finished in factory optional Silver Green Metallic, (Code 861), the beautiful paintwork is uniform throughout and boasts a stunning bright finish. All beautifully made trim sections, high quality chrome and lights are preserved and undamaged. The large heavy frameless doors close with a wonderfully assuring thud, and all factory side glass lowers to create a striking pillarless coupe. Having covered just 26,902 miles from new and part of one of the world’s most prestigious Mercedes-Benz collections, this early 280CE is of premium collector quality.
A high specification machine for 1977, the interior of this 280CE entirely warrants the sometimes-dubious time warp descriptive. Upholstered in original Black Fabric, (Code 001), the seats and matching door cards are beautifully preserved and commensurate with the super-low mileage. The deep pile carpets are pristine, along with the headlining and all interior trim sections and the unused first aid kit is present in the rear shelf compartment. The fascia is perfect and all the gauges, controls and electrics operate exactly as they should including the Motorola radio and electric aerial operated by central toggle switch. The boot area has the factory supplied warning triangle, whilst originality seekers will note the rear light clusters complete with delicate manufacturer stamps and factory stickers within door apertures. This preserved interior could almost be described as new.
ENGINE & TRANSMISSION
The preferred choice over the 230C is the more powerful fuel injected 280CE model presented here, fitted with a 2746cc in-line six-cylinder engine. 185bhp allows effortless cruising in serene quietness, and ample power to keep up with modern traffic. The engine bay is entirely standard with factory stickers, plates and panel stampings preserved and showing some natural aging. Even the delicate and usually perished rocker cover label is intact! The relaxed and favoured four-speed automatic transmission is flawless in operation.
WHEELS, TYRES & BRAKES
The beautiful classic colour coded 12-hole metal/chrome hubcaps are pristine and shod in period matching Michelin 195/70 R14 tyres with plenty of tread. The spare wheel remains shod in the factory Michelin XUS tyre which is stored alongside the original jack. Dual-circuit power-assisted brakes feature discs all round and perform very well.
After introduction of the Coupe 123 series, known by model designation C123, in Spring 1976, this early example was registered on the 21st October 1977. The supplying Mercedes Main Dealer was Mill Garages of Sunderland, and at one year old the car was sold by Normand Mercedes-Benz of Mayfair to the second owner.
Letters, business cards and invoices dated 1978 from Normand Mercedes-Benz are in the history file along with many MOT certificates dating back to the first in 1980. The mileage of 26,902 miles is fully verified and there is a large files of vehicle maintenance invoices. The Mercedes plastic wallet houses all handbooks, guides and dealership literature as well as the original service and maintenance booklet with factory build card inside. Two original Mercedes keys are present along with a sales brochure from when the car was sold new. In 2011 the car was sold by Mercedes-Benz specialist, Charles Ironside Limited, to the famous Graham Dacre collection to where it was last registered. A five-digit private registration plate has been on the car since new and will remain so for the next owner.
Appealing to any serious collector wanting one of the very best-preserved examples in existence, this 280CE is of first-class quality in every respect.
MOT May 2020, HPI clear.
Please Google 'KGF Classic Cars Youtube' and 'KGF Classic Cars Flickr' for a HD video and multiple detailed HR photos of this vehicle.
View this vehicle on our website
Reference #9754358 | Trade
Report Ad Current Fraud warnings
- LayoutFront Engined
- Size2,700 cc
- AspirationNormally Aspirated
- Power185 bhp
- Torque177 lbs/ft
- Top speed124 mph
- Acceleration0 to 62 in 9.9 secs
- Driven WheelsRear Wheel Drive
- Economy0 mpg
- Body typeCoupe
- Vehicle height-
- Vehicle width-
Previous Owners 4
- Used Mercedes-Benz in Bedford (122)
- Used Mercedes-Benz in Bury Saint Edmunds (50)
- Used Mercedes-Benz in Cambridge (91)
- Used Mercedes-Benz in Chelmsford (111)
- Used Mercedes-Benz in Hatfield (27)
- Used Mercedes-Benz in King's Lynn (48)
- Used Mercedes-Benz in Norwich (101)
- Used Mercedes-Benz in Peterborough (71)
- Used Mercedes-Benz in St Albans (19)
- Used Mercedes-Benz in Watford (35)
- Used Mercedes-Benz in Wickford (18)
- Used cars in Blackburn (965)
- Used cars in Cardiff (1423)
- Used cars in Chelmsford (1194)
- Used cars in Derby (1057)
- Used cars in Glasgow (1331)
- Used cars in Guildford (950)
- Used cars in Leeds (1203)
- Used cars in Leicester (1486)
- Used cars in Nottingham (1505)
- Used cars in Preston (933)
- Used cars in Swindon (974)
- Used cars in East Midlands (8532)
- Used cars in East of England (11060)
- Used cars in London (5001)
- Used cars in North East (4242)
- Used cars in North West (12509)
- Used cars in Scotland (5861)
- Used cars in South East (14071)
- Used cars in South West (6386)
- Used cars in Wales (4317)
- Used cars in West Midlands (7521)
- Used cars in Yorkshire and The Humber (9043)
No recent searches