-Mostly original with some paintwork patina, the chrome work is in exceptional condition and is complete.
-White wall cross ply tyres
-Power hood with fully retracting front and rear side windows
-Red leather front bench with split back rests and rear bench seating with matching carpets.
-Red and Silver contrasting dashboard and silver binnacle.
1950 and Oldsmobile launch its Rocket 88, the car that created the muscle car movement in the USA. Truly an iconic car on so many levels, being one of the 1st cars to feature an Over Head Valve V8 engine, 4 speed automatic and in the case of this Rocket a convertible with power operated folding hood.
Ike Turner was so taken by the car, that he wrote the hit Rocket 88, which is claimed to be the start of the Rock’n’roll era.
150BHP was enough power to see the car reach 100MPH (with a following wind), although stopping on its drum brakes would take some forward planning.
What makes this car so unique is not only that the car has covered 1300 miles from new in 70years, but its original and unrestored condition. Of course, there is some patina to the paintwork and interior, but it only adds to this unrepeatable example. From what we can see, the seats and carpets are also original and show very little signs of wear.
Starts on the button (yes push button start) even its automatic choke works like new, the engine settles into an even and creamy burble.
Under the bonnet it is more originality, with its 6volt system and the low sitting V8 OHV engine. Even the engine mounts and bolts look untouched, giving further confidence to the car’s originality.
Its keys, door and boot locks all work, and the car even retains its spare wheel and jack.
The car does not have any records, however it has been in a UK collection for over 12years having been bought directly from the USA.
Having spoken with the USA dealer, he confirmed that the car was previously in a collection in the USA and that he believed the car to be in original and unrestored condition. He commented that the car was a one of a kind and totally unrepeatable.
Car-iconics has had the car recommissioned and the vintage specialists were amazed to find that the drum brakes and hubs were like new.
The underside of the car is totally rust free and is in show condition.
Any inspection welcome
Reference #9694922 | Trade
Report Ad Current Fraud warnings
- Top speed-
- Driven Wheels-
- Body typeConvertible
- Vehicle height-
- Vehicle width-
Previous Owners 1
- Used cars in Bristol (1413)
- Used cars in Bury (1176)
- Used cars in Cardiff (1510)
- Used cars in Chelmsford (1483)
- Used cars in Derby (1229)
- Used cars in Edinburgh (1153)
- Used cars in Glasgow (1314)
- Used cars in Leeds (1737)
- Used cars in Leicester (1247)
- Used cars in Milton Keynes (1416)
- Used cars in Nottingham (1598)
- Used cars in East Midlands (9876)
- Used cars in East of England (14456)
- Used cars in London (4941)
- Used cars in North East (4647)
- Used cars in North West (12551)
- Used cars in Scotland (6393)
- Used cars in South East (15515)
- Used cars in South West (8131)
- Used cars in Wales (4906)
- Used cars in West Midlands (7810)
- Used cars in Yorkshire and The Humber (11351)
No recent searches