Engine Size – 1.6L
Colour – Red
In the early 1930’s Dr. Ferdinand Porsche started design work on the “people tractor” right along with the design work of the “people car”. Eventually, both designs materialized into historical products that are still enjoyed by thousands of people 60 years later.
This very early and unbelievable unique tractor design from day one (1934) already included a hydraulic coupling between engine and transmission. This was a distinctive design criteria and requirement of all Porsche-Diesel engines used in tractors until the last model produced in 1963. There was a special reason for this requirement. Engineers in the 1930’s believed that farmers in those days were not able to handle a clutch properly when shifting gears. Interesting!
Through numerous tests this design led to a fully developed air-cooled diesel engine with a power range from 14 hp to 55 hp. By the early 1950’s Ferdinand Porsche had designed 4 basic models, 1, 2 , 3 and 4 cylinder models which all have individual and interchangeable cylinders and heads.
After WWII only companies in Germany who were producing farm tractors during and prior to WWII were allowed to continue producing those tractors. Since Porsche was not one of these companies, but had a very modern and unique design, it signed licensing agreements with the German company Allgaier GmbH and the Austrian company Hofherr Schrantz. These two companies used the Porsche engine design and called their tractor: Allgaier – System Porsche and Hofherr Schrantz – System Porsche.
By 1956 Mannesmann AG decided to get into the tractor business and bought the license for the Porsche diesel engine design and the Allgaier tractor design. Porsche-Diesel tractors were produced until the end of 1963 by Mannesmann, when an international “arrangement” was made with Renault to service the Porsche-Diesel tractors worldwide.
Between 1956 and 1963 over 125,000 Porsche-Diesel tractors were produced, many of them still in daily operation on farms all over the world.
This tractor is a 2 cylinder 1643 cc Standard 217 T, manufactured in 1960 and sold new to a Belgium farmer. After a typical farming life, it was stored for some 20 years before purchase in 2016 by a dealer, and subsequently in early 2017 by the present owner.
Parts are difficult to source, although limited items are available in Germany and Ireland. Body parts are scarce. All panels, which were corroded or badly damaged, were sandblasted repaired or re-manufactured locally. Pistons & barrels have been replaced and all electrics; loom, lights, switches, fusebox fitted. Brakes refurbished
Reference #8414129 | Trade
Report Ad Current Fraud warnings
- Top speed-
- Driven Wheels-
- Body typeOther
- Vehicle height-
- Vehicle width-
Previous Owners -
Time to sell your car?
Wanting to sell your car? PistonHeads can help you get the best price and that quick sale. Try one of our selling tools today.
Contact Specialist Cars of Malton Ltd
- Used Porsche in Harrogate (19)
- Used Porsche in Huddersfield (19)
- Used Porsche in Keighley (9)
- Used Porsche in Knaresborough (71)
- Used Porsche in Leeds (70)
- Used Porsche in Malton (42)
- Used Porsche in Richmond (17)
- Used Porsche in Sheffield (67)
- Used Porsche in Shipley (12)
- Used Porsche in Wetherby (21)
- Used Porsche in York (28)
- Used cars in Bristol (1186)
- Used cars in Cardiff (1204)
- Used cars in Chelmsford (1313)
- Used cars in Derby (1147)
- Used cars in Glasgow (1119)
- Used cars in Leeds (1569)
- Used cars in Leicester (1153)
- Used cars in Milton Keynes (1230)
- Used cars in Nottingham (1435)
- Used cars in Reading (1151)
- Used cars in Sheffield (1016)
- Used cars in East Midlands (8624)
- Used cars in East of England (10571)
- Used cars in London (3680)
- Used cars in North East (4553)
- Used cars in North West (9695)
- Used cars in Scotland (5351)
- Used cars in South East (12960)
- Used cars in South West (7042)
- Used cars in Wales (4367)
- Used cars in West Midlands (8186)
- Used cars in Yorkshire and The Humber (9588)
No recent searches