Old people with speed guns

Old people with speed guns

Author
Discussion

Johnnytheboy

18,285 posts

131 months

Thursday 15th August
quotequote all
m_cozzy said:
Wish there were some on my road pointing speedguns at the rectums who think they are exempt from the limit outside my house
National speed limit is fair game, so are ex national speed limits pointlessly reduced to 50, but dont be a cock in a built up area. How hard can it be?
What about people that live by a NSL road, don't they count?


bigdog3

1,812 posts

125 months

Thursday 15th August
quotequote all
Johnnytheboy said:
What about people that live by a NSL road, don't they count?
Good reason to reduce the NSL. 50mph is on the cards but should it 40mph?

A Winner Is You

20,589 posts

172 months

Thursday 15th August
quotequote all
yonex said:
Because it's the same slightly insidious mentality. Members of the public playing Police officers. Probably the same individuals who bore everyone to death telling them that 'speeding' is dangerous, or that woudl report a car for having no tax, busybodies, lack of things to do. I do wonder why any of these people are actually involved with a motoring website, primarily one which (used to be) about sharing the enjoyment of driving? Still, modern society views performance cars as a menace, actually admitting you own one risks outing you as some reckless rebel who hasn't quite grown up, so this forum is only a reflection that genuine entusiasts are in the minority these days.

I am tired of the holier than thou types on here who just moan about others, it's got sod all to do with them, but they cannot help but lecture all and everyone with their immaculate driving standards.
If we're going to use that argument, why should members of the public report crime at all?

Countdown

24,295 posts

141 months

Thursday 15th August
quotequote all
yonex said:
I do wonder why any of these people are actually involved with a motoring website, primarily one which (used to be) about sharing the enjoyment of driving?
Because "enjoyment of driving" doesn't mean "driving however i want to and sod everybody else".

I enjoy driving as much as anybody else on here but if there's a suggestion that my driving might be pissing somebody else off there's no harm in stepping back and thinking about what I'm doing.

You said yourself that you don't speed in urban areas. Me neither, which is why I don't care about CSW. In the same vein I don't care about people with dashcams or people with POLITE vests or Highways Agency, or any other would-be (or actual) Police.

yonex

15,017 posts

113 months

Thursday 15th August
quotequote all
A Winner Is You said:
If we're going to use that argument, why should members of the public report crime at all?
It's not a binary scale.

Would I report a burglary, yes, what about an accident somewher, yes of course. Would I report someone for not having car tax, nope, what about if they'd been speeding, absolutely not.

Because, I am not a Police officer. That's their lot in life and tbh, someone driving like a tit will end up one of two ways. One, they will crash, two they will get nicked. I am also accutely aware that I have on occasion made some very silly driving calls, and learnt my lesson the hard way. A society filled with curtain twitching weirdos reporting people for doing 34mph in a 30 limit is not my idea of Utopia.

A Winner Is You

20,589 posts

172 months

Thursday 15th August
quotequote all
yonex said:
A Winner Is You said:
If we're going to use that argument, why should members of the public report crime at all?
It's not a binary scale.

Would I report a burglary, yes, what about an accident somewher, yes of course. Would I report someone for not having car tax, nope, what about if they'd been speeding, absolutely not.

Because, I am not a Police officer. That's their lot in life and tbh, someone driving like a tit will end up one of two ways. One, they will crash, two they will get nicked. I am also accutely aware that I have on occasion made some very silly driving calls, and learnt my lesson the hard way. A society filled with curtain twitching weirdos reporting people for doing 34mph in a 30 limit is not my idea of Utopia.
No policeman is going to investigate a report of someone doing 34 in a 30. Perhaps an early intervention with someone who drives in a dangerous manner might prevent said crash. I pay car tax, as I'm sure you do, so why should people get away with not having it? Besdies, I would bet most people who drive untaxed are the type not to bother with things like insurance or roadworthiness either.

Engelberger

507 posts

12 months

Thursday 15th August
quotequote all
KM said:
I’d quite happily shop them to the police. For their good and everyone else’s
Must be a troll. This is straight out of the " the good guys". If KM is genuine it is truly worrying for society.

KM - What do you drive? Do you have a dashcam?





Smiler.

10,128 posts

175 months

Thursday 15th August
quotequote all
Countdown said:
yonex said:
I do wonder why any of these people are actually involved with a motoring website, primarily one which (used to be) about sharing the enjoyment of driving?
Because "enjoyment of driving" doesn't mean "driving however i want to and sod everybody else".
I
I enjoy driving as much as anybody else on here but if there's a suggestion that my driving might be pissing somebody else off there's no harm in stepping back and thinking about what I'm doing.

You said yourself that you don't speed in urban areas. Me neither, which is why I don't care about CSW. In the same vein I don't care about people with dashcams or people with POLITE vests or Highways Agency, or any other would-be (or actual) Police.
Was there a time when the above wasn't true though & a leaning towards the opposite was?

I know there was for me. But then I grew up matured.

I completely agree with your view now, reflects mine.

Which kind of leaves the thought, it's pointless arguing on the internet with people who can't see things from the opposite viewpoint.

Still, worth a try I suppose.

yonex

15,017 posts

113 months

Thursday 15th August
quotequote all
Countdown said:
Because "enjoyment of driving" doesn't mean "driving however i want to and sod everybody else".

I enjoy driving as much as anybody else on here but if there's a suggestion that my driving might be pissing somebody else off there's no harm in stepping back and thinking about what I'm doing.

You said yourself that you don't speed in urban areas. Me neither, which is why I don't care about CSW. In the same vein I don't care about people with dashcams or people with POLITE vests or Highways Agency, or any other would-be (or actual) Police.
Well, a bunch of busy bodies with a speed camera is just a bad, and stupid idea in my book. There's always going to be someone who doesn't like how a.n.other drives, that's life. If you drive like a loon in urban areas, near sensitive places like schools, or otherwise then you deserve everything you get. If however, you like to give it the beans on an open stretch of road, without actually putting anyone in danger, and some snowflake doesn't like it, too bad. They'll get over it.

Red 4

6,275 posts

132 months

Thursday 15th August
quotequote all
yonex said:
Countdown said:
Because "enjoyment of driving" doesn't mean "driving however i want to and sod everybody else".

I enjoy driving as much as anybody else on here but if there's a suggestion that my driving might be pissing somebody else off there's no harm in stepping back and thinking about what I'm doing.

You said yourself that you don't speed in urban areas. Me neither, which is why I don't care about CSW. In the same vein I don't care about people with dashcams or people with POLITE vests or Highways Agency, or any other would-be (or actual) Police.
Well, a bunch of busy bodies with a speed camera is just a bad, and stupid idea in my book. There's always going to be someone who doesn't like how a.n.other drives, that's life. If you drive like a loon in urban areas, near sensitive places like schools, or otherwise then you deserve everything you get. If however, you like to give it the beans on an open stretch of road, without actually putting anyone in danger, and some snowflake doesn't like it, too bad. They'll get over it.
Well, the people doing the CSW thing obviously feel it's worthwhile or why would they do it ?

Their actions will have zero impact on you - other than potentially receiving a letter from the police advising you about your speed - so why are you getting all hot and bothered about the issue ?

There's a certain irony in that you call them busybodies but spend your time on here berating them. wink

Paul Dishman

3,273 posts

182 months

Thursday 15th August
quotequote all
KM said:
A sad but safe generation. My older family members speed dramatically too. 90 on country lanes etc. I’d quite happily shop them to the police. For their good and everyone else’s.

Since I’ve been brought up by these idiots I decided I don’t want to be like them and use the amount of points on my license as a trophy.

So please don’t keep tagging me into this daft and endless threat
So you're admitting that you're a grass as well as a troll byebye




yonex

15,017 posts

113 months

Thursday 15th August
quotequote all
Paul Dishman said:
So you're admitting that you're a grass as well as a troll byebye
Fancy calling your parents idiots, bet they’re proud. What a bell, but I would wager it’s a wind up.

nonsequitur

9,859 posts

61 months

Thursday 15th August
quotequote all
bigdog3 said:
KM said:
We can’t keep going around in these circles, you all like to speed. You can all crack on with that but please don’t try and make it seem that I’m the one in the wrong for disagreeing with it.

So please just accept we won’t ever agree on this and move on.

To be honest, mumsnet seems like they might actually have some sense about them.

I now fully understand why piston heads gets a bad rep in other online communities
Enjoy your time at Mumsnet. Give them my regards byebye
So polite and courteous to your fellow mumsnetters, type, dogo.

bigdog3

1,812 posts

125 months

Thursday 15th August
quotequote all
nonsequitur said:
So polite and courteous to your fellow mumsnetters, type, dogo.
I am always polite and courteous but you're still a weirdo nosepicker hehe

nonsequitur

9,859 posts

61 months

Friday 16th August
quotequote all
bigdog3 said:
nonsequitur said:
So polite and courteous to your fellow mumsnetters, type, dogo.
I am always polite and courteous but you're still a weirdo nosepicker hehe
Not so much of the 'nosepicker' thank you.

bigdog3

1,812 posts

125 months

Friday 16th August
quotequote all
nonsequitur said:
Not so much of the 'nosepicker' thank you.
Why? Do you pick or plunge a different orifice? scratchchin

2gins

1,622 posts

107 months

Friday 16th August
quotequote all
Riley Blue said:
Does enforcement of all speed limits have to be a police job? Other traffic offences, including moving traffic offences, are enforced by other agencies. Just a thought, I'm not proposing it should be so.
So long as it's a criminal offence, yes.

If it's to be a civil offence like a parking or bus lane infringement, then the criminal stigma has to go with it.

Then we send a message that speeding is not so bad after all. Which some may agree with.

But if you wish to maintain that speeding is highly dangerous, sufficient to carry criminal sanctions, then it does require police rather than civil enforcement.

nonsequitur

9,859 posts

61 months

Saturday 17th August
quotequote all
bigdog3 said:
nonsequitur said:
Not so much of the 'nosepicker' thank you.
Why? Do you pick or plunge a different orifice? scratchchin
...and some fell on stoney ground...

rscott

9,161 posts

136 months

Saturday 17th August
quotequote all
yonex said:
Countdown said:
Because "enjoyment of driving" doesn't mean "driving however i want to and sod everybody else".

I enjoy driving as much as anybody else on here but if there's a suggestion that my driving might be pissing somebody else off there's no harm in stepping back and thinking about what I'm doing.

You said yourself that you don't speed in urban areas. Me neither, which is why I don't care about CSW. In the same vein I don't care about people with dashcams or people with POLITE vests or Highways Agency, or any other would-be (or actual) Police.
Well, a bunch of busy bodies with a speed camera is just a bad, and stupid idea in my book. There's always going to be someone who doesn't like how a.n.other drives, that's life. If you drive like a loon in urban areas, near sensitive places like schools, or otherwise then you deserve everything you get. If however, you like to give it the beans on an open stretch of road, without actually putting anyone in danger, and some snowflake doesn't like it, too bad. They'll get over it.
Good job CSW can only enforce on sites selected by the police then. And these are all in built up areas...

yonex

15,017 posts

113 months

Saturday 17th August
quotequote all
rscott said:
Good job CSW can only enforce on sites selected by the police then. And these are all in built up areas...
They can’t enforce anything lol.