Thoughts on Vauxhall Mokka Design

Thoughts on Vauxhall Mokka Design

Author
Discussion

AdeTuono

6,328 posts

188 months

Monday 27th January 2020
quotequote all
Lt. Coulomb said:
Rebadged Opel.
Your point being...?

astrsxi77

302 posts

182 months

Monday 27th January 2020
quotequote all
If they'd followed the original vision of Lee-Ray General and Steenson Motors Jr., then the Mokka would have been badged as a Daewoo. It is this regrettable, Opel-influenced decision that prevented the Mokka becoming car-of-the-century at launch.

GeorgeMokka

Original Poster:

61 posts

12 months

Monday 27th January 2020
quotequote all
I’m quite young and the thought of this being known as an old person car or a benefit car makes me not like it lol, I like to feel smart when driving a car, do you all think it’s embarrassing to be seen in a Mokka? I paid £11k for it.

warch

2,660 posts

115 months

Monday 27th January 2020
quotequote all
Is the badge the problem then? If it had a Ford or even a Mercedes badge would it be ok? Reason I ask is because pretty much all manufacturers these days offer a car in the compact crossover and crossover style, and they are all pretty much the same.

DaveyBoyWonder

902 posts

135 months

Monday 27th January 2020
quotequote all
GeorgeMokka said:
I’m quite young and the thought of this being known as an old person car or a benefit car makes me not like it lol, I like to feel smart when driving a car, do you all think it’s embarrassing to be seen in a Mokka? I paid £11k for it.
Its not the school holidays yet?

C.A.R.

3,676 posts

149 months

Monday 27th January 2020
quotequote all
Had one as a hire car (diesel), in bright rust (or, orange).

Took forever to heat up and couldn't even de-mist its' own windscreen. I was so amused I took a picture on my phone and then didn't know what to do with the photo since I don't think my mates would have been remotely interested. I'd not experienced misty-windscreen syndrome since my first car, a Vauxhall Nova 1.2i. So it has nostalgia going for it, I'll give it that.

GeorgeMokka

Original Poster:

61 posts

12 months

Monday 27th January 2020
quotequote all
warch said:
Is the badge the problem then? If it had a Ford or even a Mercedes badge would it be ok? Reason I ask is because pretty much all manufacturers these days offer a car in the compact crossover and crossover style, and they are all pretty much the same.
I suppose it is really, I wished it was a Mercedes. Haha

Harpoon

817 posts

175 months

Monday 27th January 2020
quotequote all
GeorgeMokka said:
I’m quite young and the thought of this being known as an old person car or a benefit car makes me not like it lol, I like to feel smart when driving a car, do you all think it’s embarrassing to be seen in a Mokka? I paid £11k for it.
Very embarrassing - you best order up a supply of paper bags to hide your identity with.

And7R

96 posts

17 months

Monday 27th January 2020
quotequote all
The TURBO lettering on theback is discrete and stylish as well as letting other road users know I have a fire breathing 140bhp monster cool

Edited by And7R on Monday 27th January 16:01

cossers

2,476 posts

101 months

Monday 27th January 2020
quotequote all
rallycross said:
I've noticed how protective the owners of these beauties can be.

It seams they will often park over 2 spaces to protect the fine paintwork, from any careless fellow motorists bashing their doors into their P&J (or have I got that wrong?)!

Think you’ll find that every make tbh! dheads drive all makes

rallycross

11,073 posts

198 months

Monday 27th January 2020
quotequote all
And7R said:
The TURBO lettering on theback is discrete and stylish as well as letting other road users know I have a fire breathing 140bhp monster cool

Edited by And7R on Monday 27th January 16:01
I find the massively discrete and stylish TURBO badges quite handy, when you are behind one it signifies do not attempt to pass me I have huge reserves of power and will thrash you and your German car as soon as you attempt to pass.

TURBO obviously still sells, (or it did till they sadly stopped making these beauties).

Jag_NE

2,408 posts

61 months

Monday 27th January 2020
quotequote all
I had a petrol version (NA I believe) as a body shop courtesy car. It was poverty spec and utterly awful.

On holiday I had a diesel one with better spec and it was a much better car.

And7R

96 posts

17 months

Monday 27th January 2020
quotequote all
rallycross said:
I find the massively discrete and stylish TURBO badges quite handy, when you are behind one it signifies do not attempt to pass me I have huge reserves of power and will thrash you and your German car as soon as you attempt to pass.

TURBO obviously still sells, (or it did till they sadly stopped making these beauties).
Yes agreed not even the mighty Audi A4 S-Line Tdi stand a chance against a TURBO Mokka.

littlebasher

3,033 posts

132 months

Monday 27th January 2020
quotequote all
My Mrs chose a Mokka last year (1.6cdti auto in SE trim), bright orange one as well.

She thinks its the dogs bks, couldn't be happier with it.

To be fair, it's not that bad. Gutsy little engine that has loads of poke (140bhp or thereabouts), loads quicker than my 180 bhp Smax.

MikeM6

3,317 posts

63 months

Monday 27th January 2020
quotequote all
Monkeylegend said:
Its just the usual PH Vauxhall bashing, we have these threads on a regular basis.

If you want to be one of the "in crowd" on here you have to jump on the Vauxhall are crap bandwagon. To say anything else would mean you have to have a balanced opinion and didn't mind what others think of you.

PHer's are special, we are gifted with knowledge that the ignorant, council, in bred, British public don't have, we are king.

Well that's what some like to think, bless them smile
Ok, but what about those that genuinely don't rate the Mokka, based on experience of driving a few of them (and indeed most of the current Vauxhall range)?

They are no worse than Fords I agree, but Hyundai and Kia are lightyears ahead these days.

Some Guy

988 posts

52 months

Monday 27th January 2020
quotequote all
I wouldnt buy anything named after a poncy coffee, biggrin

Monkeylegend

20,237 posts

192 months

Monday 27th January 2020
quotequote all
MikeM6 said:
Monkeylegend said:
Its just the usual PH Vauxhall bashing, we have these threads on a regular basis.

If you want to be one of the "in crowd" on here you have to jump on the Vauxhall are crap bandwagon. To say anything else would mean you have to have a balanced opinion and didn't mind what others think of you.

PHer's are special, we are gifted with knowledge that the ignorant, council, in bred, British public don't have, we are king.

Well that's what some like to think, bless them smile
Ok, but what about those that genuinely don't rate the Mokka, based on experience of driving a few of them (and indeed most of the current Vauxhall range)?

They are no worse than Fords I agree, but Hyundai and Kia are lightyears ahead these days.
Enough people are buying both Fords and Vauxhalls to suggest that the dislike for Vauxhall in particular on PH is not reflected by the general buying public.



Roboticarm

819 posts

22 months

Monday 27th January 2020
quotequote all
They are fairly decent cars and that's all the are meant to be right? They serve a purpose,they transport a family in reasonable comfortable, for a reasonable amount of money.

I think the main comedy point on the thread is that the suggestion is the design is great, it's not meant to be, it was never built to be that.

If the OP wants people to go "nice car mate" he bought the wrong car, if he wants to blend in and have a normal car he did okay

I had a jeep renegade a few years back and thought people would think it was nice, everyone commented on how it wasn't a real jeep, wasn't even a 4x4 etc.

But in hindsight I should have ignored them, I didn't though, cos I'm a petrol head lol

Edited by Roboticarm on Monday 27th January 19:55

Johnnytheboy

21,391 posts

147 months

Monday 27th January 2020
quotequote all
Monkeylegend said:
Enough people are buying both Fords and Vauxhalls to suggest that the dislike for Vauxhall in particular on PH is not reflected by the general buying public.
There's probably a washing machine forum somewhere sneering at the buyers of, oh I don't know, Bosch washing machines.

Some people just aren't that bothered about how good their car is.

Evanivitch

7,942 posts

83 months

Monday 27th January 2020
quotequote all
MikeM6 said:
Ok, but what about those that genuinely don't rate the Mokka, based on experience of driving a few of them (and indeed most of the current Vauxhall range)?

They are no worse than Fords I agree, but Hyundai and Kia are lightyears ahead these days.
Unlike the latest Insignia, I think the Astra is a much better car than the previous version, and I've driven several hire car Mokkas in the UK and abroad.

It's crap. It doesn't have the same refinement as the Japanese and Korean options, and is less practical than an Astra in terms of luggage. But I guess it's cheaper than most the better options. Would probably take a Dacia instead.