Kerbal Space Program

Kerbal Space Program

Author
Discussion

MartG

17,988 posts

170 months

Wednesday 2nd October 2019
quotequote all
biggrin


Donbot

1,695 posts

93 months

Wednesday 2nd October 2019
quotequote all
^ hehe I know that feeling. Especially trying to rendezvous stuff in orbit the first time.

I've finally got round to modding the game and have realism overhaul and real solar system installed. I'm struggling just to get into orbit.
The planets look cool from the tracking station though.

RizzoTheRat

20,758 posts

158 months

Wednesday 2nd October 2019
quotequote all
I've still never tried realism overhaul, but it does look like a good challenge. I'm still trying to program everything in KOS.

RizzoTheRat

20,758 posts

158 months

MartG

17,988 posts

170 months

Saturday 15th February 2020
quotequote all
Scott Manley's video of getting to orbit without any engines, using a bug in 1.9 and...




https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQN_JuWhFqU&fe...

Alex@POD

5,375 posts

181 months

Tuesday 5th May 2020
quotequote all
Has anyone played with the console version much? I want to get back into it but I don't know if the console version is worth playing... I'm not going to buy a new PC for it as I wouldn't use it for anything else, even though I'm sure it would be a lot easier to control!

ben_h100

1,450 posts

145 months

Tuesday 5th May 2020
quotequote all
Alex@POD said:
Has anyone played with the console version much? I want to get back into it but I don't know if the console version is worth playing... I'm not going to buy a new PC for it as I wouldn't use it for anything else, even though I'm sure it would be a lot easier to control!
I have it on Xbox, having had it when it first came out on PC.

It’s actually really good. The enhanced edition works really well with the control pad (avoid the original version) and its fairly straightforward landing on Mun. It also looks great. If it wasn’t for COD Warzone I’d be on KSP.

Watching the KSP2 trailer gives me hope that in ten years we will have graphics like that in gameplay.

Alex@POD

5,375 posts

181 months

Tuesday 5th May 2020
quotequote all
ben_h100 said:
I have it on Xbox, having had it when it first came out on PC.

It’s actually really good. The enhanced edition works really well with the control pad (avoid the original version) and its fairly straightforward landing on Mun. It also looks great. If it wasn’t for COD Warzone I’d be on KSP.

Watching the KSP2 trailer gives me hope that in ten years we will have graphics like that in gameplay.
Good to know, thanks! I played it at the very first version on pc, when it was all a sandbox with nothing to "do", but my pc quickly ran out of puff with the following versions... Now I want to get back to it!

BrettMRC

2,063 posts

126 months

Wednesday 6th May 2020
quotequote all
I'm too lazy to go back through the whole thread...

Is there a good site that has all the "need to know" information and guides on scripts etc?

I don't get a huge amount of time to play, and having to re-learn everything each time is depressing.

RizzoTheRat

20,758 posts

158 months

Wednesday 6th May 2020
quotequote all
The KSP forum is pretty good with a lot of tutorials and guides https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/

Loads of youtube videos about too, Scott Manley being the best known, but bear in mind a lot are for older versions so the mechanics will be the same but the details might vary a bit.

You mention scripts, are you looking at kOS?

BrettMRC

2,063 posts

126 months

Wednesday 6th May 2020
quotequote all
RizzoTheRat said:
The KSP forum is pretty good with a lot of tutorials and guides https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/

Loads of youtube videos about too, Scott Manley being the best known, but bear in mind a lot are for older versions so the mechanics will be the same but the details might vary a bit.

You mention scripts, are you looking at kOS?
Thanks for that... smile

I don't even know what kOS is! lol!

RizzoTheRat

20,758 posts

158 months

Wednesday 6th May 2020
quotequote all
BrettMRC said:
I don't even know what kOS is! lol!
Kerbal Operating System. It's a mod that lets you write scripts to control your ship. I absolutely love it but have taken a break from my current game as it's turning in to a software writing project, but on the plus side I can do stuff like this cool

Alex@POD

5,375 posts

181 months

Wednesday 6th May 2020
quotequote all
BrettMRC said:
RizzoTheRat said:
The KSP forum is pretty good with a lot of tutorials and guides https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/

Loads of youtube videos about too, Scott Manley being the best known, but bear in mind a lot are for older versions so the mechanics will be the same but the details might vary a bit.

You mention scripts, are you looking at kOS?
Thanks for that... smile

I don't even know what kOS is! lol!
I didn't either. Turns out kOS is a virtual Operating System within the Kerbal world, where you can write computer programs yourself. I've read a bit and it makes my head hurt headache

BrettMRC

2,063 posts

126 months

Wednesday 6th May 2020
quotequote all
RizzoTheRat said:
BrettMRC said:
I don't even know what kOS is! lol!
Kerbal Operating System. It's a mod that lets you write scripts to control your ship. I absolutely love it but have taken a break from my current game as it's turning in to a software writing project, but on the plus side I can do stuff like this cool
That is filth! lick

RizzoTheRat

20,758 posts

158 months

Wednesday 6th May 2020
quotequote all
My original goal when I first started fiddling with kOS was automated resupply missions that could land on a base like that, it evolved slightly to be a way of building modular bases.
I can land my single stage to orbit boosters on the runway but so far getting them down reliably on the launch pad has eluded me, I can get the bearing but not the range.
I ripped all my code apart to rewrite it as a menu structure where you put in a target and ask it works out the rest but it turned in to hard work biggrin

BrettMRC

2,063 posts

126 months

Wednesday 6th May 2020
quotequote all
RizzoTheRat said:
My original goal when I first started fiddling with kOS was automated resupply missions that could land on a base like that, it evolved slightly to be a way of building modular bases.
I can land my single stage to orbit boosters on the runway but so far getting them down reliably on the launch pad has eluded me, I can get the bearing but not the range.
I ripped all my code apart to rewrite it as a menu structure where you put in a target and ask it works out the rest but it turned in to hard work biggrin
Out of interest, how much time are you putting into it?

RizzoTheRat

20,758 posts

158 months

Wednesday 6th May 2020
quotequote all
Fortunately I bought the game from the KSP store not Steam so don't have a record biggrin

Quite a bit though. I was working away and weekly commuting for a couple of years so spending 4 nights a week on my own... Not played at all for a month or so now but will go back at some point. I've have been playing on and off for 5 or 6 years and spent way more time on it than any other game I've ever played.

It's a hard game to only play occasionally though as there's a lot to learn.

MartG

17,988 posts

170 months

Wednesday 3rd June 2020
quotequote all
Seems there has been some skulduggery afoot with KSP2 development frown

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-03...