VR

Author
Discussion

geeks

3,732 posts

75 months

Wednesday 28th November
quotequote all
Wade guards the VR in this house!

CC - I found the easiest way to keep the OR software closed was to put the headset back on the holder after use then close the software, it doesnt seem to relaunch after that.


Russian Troll Bot

19,320 posts

163 months

Friday 30th November
quotequote all
Picked myself up a Playstation VR over the weekend, thought I'd ordered the Astro Boy pack but when it turned up I realised I'd only ordered the standard one. Oh well. First one I tried was Wipeout, which was an instant hurl so was worried I'd made an expensive mistake. But sticking to the ones that don't require rapid movement made it far more enjoyable. London Heist was really fun, if over before it even started and there are plenty of videos on Youtube to play around with. I have found it difficult to adjust, and sometimes it seems like no matter what I do I can't focus on small text, and the weight and heat mean it's only good for short bursts.

kingston12

2,192 posts

93 months

Saturday 1st December
quotequote all
Russian Troll Bot said:
Picked myself up a Playstation VR over the weekend, thought I'd ordered the Astro Boy pack but when it turned up I realised I'd only ordered the standard one. Oh well. First one I tried was Wipeout, which was an instant hurl so was worried I'd made an expensive mistake. But sticking to the ones that don't require rapid movement made it far more enjoyable. London Heist was really fun, if over before it even started and there are plenty of videos on Youtube to play around with. I have found it difficult to adjust, and sometimes it seems like no matter what I do I can't focus on small text, and the weight and heat mean it's only good for short bursts.
I did the same last week, it’s really cheap in the current sales.

I love Wipeout anyway, and it is great in VR. Star Wars Battlefront and Astrobot both look good from limited play so far. I’ve got a Rift which doesn’t see much use. It is technically better than the PSVR, but I prefer the line up of games so will probably use that a bit more.

RizzoTheRat

17,382 posts

128 months

Saturday 1st December
quotequote all
Woohoo, my rift just arrived. Has to be one of the most beautifully packaged things I've ever bought, everything nearly strapped in to the box.

I may not get anything else done this weekend

SimianWonder

1,057 posts

88 months

Sunday 2nd December
quotequote all
I picked up a PSVR in the Black Friday sales, came with Astro Bot, Resi 7, and two move controllers for £225. I also then hit the PlayStation store and grabbed Batman Arkham VR for £7.99 and SuperHot VR for £11.99.

Now, it's not my first flirtation with VR, I had a Samsung Gear VR that I used infrequently with my old Samsung phone, but as a piece of hardware the PSVR is a very clear step or three above the admittedly much cheaper Samsung, and you can actually play proper games on it.

It's not perfect, though.

Firstly, as the owner of both an Xbox One X and a PS4 Pro combined with a large 4K TV, it's been a while since I've played anything at 1080P resolution. let alone below that. There's still an inherent graininess to PSVR that can seem a little jarring, especially evident if you're watching a 3D film and then switch from VR to the TV itself. The TV image looks razor sharp in comparison.

Secondly, and this might be a "me" thing, but I find the unit fogging up very quickly and easily as well and only with constant tiny adjustments can I alleviate it for more than a few minutes. I had the same issue on the Samsung VR, but the PSVR is a much better built piece of kit and allows much more adjustment in terms of finding the right fit for a given individual so again this might just be a "me" thing.

Thirdly, the tracking is sometimes a little wonky. Playing Arkham VR, I was missing my right hand for at least half of the experience, and SuperHot VR will will occasionally suffer from spasms in both hands as it seems to lose them and find them multiple times in the space of seconds. Calibration did not seem to improve things, so I may need to look at relocating the camera itself which will hopefully alleviate things.

With all that said, when it all comes together it's a wonderfully immersive experience. The sense of scale, of size and distance in some of the worlds needs to be seen to be believed. The shark attack scenario in the VR Worlds is pretty exhilarating. I genuinely jumped backwards a foot playing Arkham VR at one point, and when you're in the groove, SuperHot is just about the closest thing you can get to being in The Matrix. I'd also thoroughly recommend a 20 minute free-to-download film named "Allumette," not just for the story itself, but it's great demo of putting you in the scene in a way no medium other than VR could manage.

So, there's a way to go with the technology yet, but even as it stands now I'd wholeheartedly recommend PSVR.
Advertisement

RizzoTheRat

17,382 posts

128 months

Monday 3rd December
quotequote all
Re the resolution comment, I've found Beat Sabre to be the best thing I've played on my Rift so far, partly because the graphics are intentionally quite blocky so you don't notice it. Try watching some video clips and you really notice the screen door effect

Russian Troll Bot

19,320 posts

163 months

Monday 3rd December
quotequote all
SimianWonder said:
Firstly, as the owner of both an Xbox One X and a PS4 Pro combined with a large 4K TV, it's been a while since I've played anything at 1080P resolution. let alone below that. There's still an inherent graininess to PSVR that can seem a little jarring, especially evident if you're watching a 3D film and then switch from VR to the TV itself. The TV image looks razor sharp in comparison.

Secondly, and this might be a "me" thing, but I find the unit fogging up very quickly and easily as well and only with constant tiny adjustments can I alleviate it for more than a few minutes. I had the same issue on the Samsung VR, but the PSVR is a much better built piece of kit and allows much more adjustment in terms of finding the right fit for a given individual so again this might just be a "me" thing.
I've noticed this as well, even at what are stated to be 4k VR Youtube videos the quality is noticeably lower than even a regular HD. Sometimes it seems like no matter what I do I can't adjust the unit to keep everything in focus, and dark scenes don't look that dark

geeks

3,732 posts

75 months

Monday 3rd December
quotequote all
Russian Troll Bot said:
SimianWonder said:
Firstly, as the owner of both an Xbox One X and a PS4 Pro combined with a large 4K TV, it's been a while since I've played anything at 1080P resolution. let alone below that. There's still an inherent graininess to PSVR that can seem a little jarring, especially evident if you're watching a 3D film and then switch from VR to the TV itself. The TV image looks razor sharp in comparison.

Secondly, and this might be a "me" thing, but I find the unit fogging up very quickly and easily as well and only with constant tiny adjustments can I alleviate it for more than a few minutes. I had the same issue on the Samsung VR, but the PSVR is a much better built piece of kit and allows much more adjustment in terms of finding the right fit for a given individual so again this might just be a "me" thing.
I've noticed this as well, even at what are stated to be 4k VR Youtube videos the quality is noticeably lower than even a regular HD. Sometimes it seems like no matter what I do I can't adjust the unit to keep everything in focus, and dark scenes don't look that dark
None of the Rift, Vive/Pro or PSVR stuff is 4K though so it will be scaled back to the native resolution of the device!

I have a VR Cover for my Rift, this makes the standard facial interface look pretty pants and also seals up around your face better removing alot of the "god rays" and also darkens out scenes alot better too. Would be worth a look to see if they offer a PSVR item.

ozzuk

456 posts

63 months

Monday 3rd December
quotequote all
Having been a PC gamer all my life I'm seriously considering trying VR (in my 40s so VR has always been in the back of my mind as developing tech). I've avoided til now as the graphics/games choice seemed so poor but it looks like that is changing.

I don't own a console, so that is out. So I guess the main contenders are Vive or Rift. I'll be reading up on both over next few weeks but any pointers appreciated.

I mostly play RTS games so I know VR is useless for that (and another reason I've not dipped my toe before), this will be more a gimmick thing for with friends/nephews.

geeks

3,732 posts

75 months

Monday 3rd December
quotequote all
ozzuk said:
Having been a PC gamer all my life I'm seriously considering trying VR (in my 40s so VR has always been in the back of my mind as developing tech). I've avoided til now as the graphics/games choice seemed so poor but it looks like that is changing.

I don't own a console, so that is out. So I guess the main contenders are Vive or Rift. I'll be reading up on both over next few weeks but any pointers appreciated.

I mostly play RTS games so I know VR is useless for that (and another reason I've not dipped my toe before), this will be more a gimmick thing for with friends/nephews.
The below should help

geeks said:
Rod200SX said:
Looking at taking the plunge on a VR kit for the PC. Oculus Rift or HTC Vive? Is the extra £100 worth it?

Struggling to find good recent reviews that don't just summarise as "get whichever you prefer!"
A review from Bullet who has both:

Bullett said:
I have both the vive and OR. The Vive is way easier to set up for roomscale, no need for the million USB connections, just power, so no silly USB ext leads and it's generally agreed that out of the box the tracking is better. That said I didn't have any issues on a 2 sensor system.
The OR is lighter and maybe a bit more comfortable in standard form although the vive deluxe audio strap improves that immensely.
The OR controllers seem to be generally prefered they are more flexible and the hat control is better than the trackpad on the vive but I think they are a little small. I think the Steam knuckles will be a game changer.

Screen/resolution, nothing in it. Vive pro I've not tried, not enough of an improvement to warrant the expense.

The are both brilliant, I'm glad we have them both and new players coming in as well.


Get Gorn.
I have the Oculus Rift and have nothing bad to say about it. Both my sensors are on my desk and I haven't had issues with the USB cable length. Also I haven't had room-scale or tracking issues with just two sensors. I have just bought a VR Cover set for my Rift as I have been getting sweaty a lot doing long drawn out sessions on Beat Saber and Space Pirate Trainer, I have to say the VR Cover set is a better fit than the standard Oculus Rift Facial Interface (no really, that's what its called) but I didn't really have any complaints with the original one. Touch controllers are great as well and the batteries last quite a while (each touch controller takes one AA). Have included a pic of my setup so you can see how the sensors are laid out on mine (cabling has since been tidied up but you get the idea)

Lastly I will say I haven't tried the Vive or Vive Pro, however read great things about both but it does seem the headset is heavier on the Vive but not by enough to warrant one way or the other.


Shadow R1

3,257 posts

112 months

Monday 3rd December
quotequote all
geeks said:
I have a VR Cover for my Rift, this makes the standard facial interface look pretty pants and also seals up around your face better removing alot of the "god rays" and also darkens out scenes alot better too.
Do you have a link to that cover please ?



ozzuk

456 posts

63 months

Monday 3rd December
quotequote all
geeks said:
thank you!

geeks

3,732 posts

75 months

Monday 3rd December
quotequote all
Shadow R1 said:
geeks said:
I have a VR Cover for my Rift, this makes the standard facial interface look pretty pants and also seals up around your face better removing alot of the "god rays" and also darkens out scenes alot better too.
Do you have a link to that cover please ?
No worries: http://amzn.eu/d/dKgEgY9

EFA the whole range isn't on Amazon have a look here too: https://vrcover.com/

Edited by geeks on Monday 3rd December 16:01

RizzoTheRat

17,382 posts

128 months

Monday 3rd December
quotequote all
I got my Rift on Saturday, and I can see where some people above are coming from when they say it's not quite there yet. We're all used to way better screen resolution than these things can manage yet, and I guess it's taking a while for games to catch up. However the only game I've paid for so far, Beat Sabre, is very good and properly immersive.

Setup (2 sensors, both on my desk) took minutes and I've had no tracking issues but I'm currently only using about a 2x2m area and facing the desk.

I would be nice to be able download some in headset footage of other games to see what they're like graphically, I rather like the look of Lone Echo but having tried the free ISS thing, I'd like to make sure the dragging yourself around by handholds works better in Lone Echo before shelling out cash for it, and I suspect I'd need to go 3 sensor and move the PC to a bigger space for a game like that.

Number_Six

110 posts

39 months

Tuesday 4th December
quotequote all
Lone Echo is great, you shouldn't need three sensors for it. The movement mechanism works well, it's a very high quality game but another I haven't finished yet. I find stuff that is better standing to play (Robo Recall, Arizona Sunshine) benefit best from 3 sensors.

conkerman

1,923 posts

71 months

Tuesday 4th December
quotequote all
I love Lone Echo it is fantastic.

The hand/hand motion does take a little while to get used to, but once you do, it's pretty easy to play sitting down. The gameplay is only pretty short (6hrs max) so maybe wait for sale.

For me, the money shot is racing games at the moment, they are fantastic in VR. Assetto Corsa is my favourite of what I have,


For the poster earlier who mentioned Gorn, have you seen the video by 'up is not jump' on the youtubes?



Speckle

2,969 posts

152 months

Tuesday 4th December
quotequote all
The resolution thing is interesting. I found it quite jarring at first, as many people have mentioned. I use my Vive now pretty much exclusively for driving sims and I honestly don't notice the lack of resolution anymore.

I was playing around with FFB settings in Assetto Corsa this morning and couldn't be bothered to load it in VR as I would be switching between config programs so, for the first time since getting it, I loaded it onto the screen instead. I was genuinely surprised at how much sharper the image was as I have gotten so used to playing it in VR. However, driving on a flat screen with a crisp image is a far inferior experience to the VR, despite the visual compromise.

The suspect the resolution will improve markedly when the 2nd gen headsets arrive on the mass market. For the time being, for me at least, the quality and experience is perfectly good enough.

Bullett

8,693 posts

120 months

Tuesday 4th December
quotequote all
conkerman said:
For the poster earlier who mentioned Gorn, have you seen the video by 'up is not jump' on the youtubes?
I mentioned it.
I've seen the video now and he's right. I play in a double garage sized space and have broken my controllers twice hitting walls.
I do play in 'low violence' mode as my 9yo likes the game (they become cartoon pinata people filled with candy).

conkerman

1,923 posts

71 months

Tuesday 4th December
quotequote all
At much more than current headset resolutions, the required GPU overhead will be significant. Made worse by GPU prices being so high, and probably continuing to be considering nVidias grip on the upper reaches of the GPU market.

It's quite a potent drug though, I bought an RTX card for better VR performance.

Number_Six

110 posts

39 months

Tuesday 4th December
quotequote all
Tempted to chop my 1080ti for an RTX, what card did you go from/to and was it worth it?