Best part of Ealing to live in?

Best part of Ealing to live in?

Author
Discussion

Leicesterdave

Original Poster:

2,105 posts

148 months

Wednesday 13th February 2013
quotequote all
As said previously, my main concern is safety. I have kids and a wife, and my car- all of which (in no particular order) I'd like to keep safe.

I'll stick a few areas on here and if you could give me an idea what they're like I'd appreciate it!

Brentford?
Chiswick?
Southfields?
Putney?
Parsons Green?
Barnes?
Roehampton?

In fact any decent affordable areas on the green line?


Edited by Leicesterdave on Wednesday 13th February 07:32

LiamB

7,791 posts

111 months

Wednesday 13th February 2013
quotequote all
Brentford - sthole really.
Chiswick - some areas are nice
Southfields - no idea
Putney - not particularly nice
Parsons green - no idea
Barnes - no idea
Roehampton - please god no. It's full of the wrong sort (chavs, druggies etc.)

Pickled

2,015 posts

111 months

Wednesday 13th February 2013
quotequote all
Leicesterdave said:
As said previously, my main concern is safety. I have kids and a wife, and my car- all of which (in no particular order) I'd like to keep safe.

I'll stick a few areas on here and if you could give me an idea what they're like I'd appreciate it!

Brentford?
Chiswick?
Southfields?
Putney?
Parsons Green?
Barnes?
Roehampton?

In fact any decent affordable areas on the green line?


Edited by Leicesterdave on Wednesday 13th February 07:32
Parsons Green & Barnes are both nice, however they are both pretty expensive areas, Mortlake & Sheen aren't too bad either.

truck71

2,328 posts

140 months

Wednesday 13th February 2013
quotequote all
Leicesterdave said:
As said previously, my main concern is safety. I have kids and a wife, and my car- all of which (in no particular order) I'd like to keep safe.

I'll stick a few areas on here and if you could give me an idea what they're like I'd appreciate it!

Brentford? ok in parts, better value
Chiswick? nice but pricey, South of the A4 and you're under the flight path
Southfields? don't know
Putney? nice in parts but again pricey
Parsons Green? see Putney
Barnes? see Chiswick but flight path covers a lot of it
Roehampton? Avoid

In fact any decent affordable areas on the green line?


Edited by Leicesterdave on Wednesday 13th February 07:32
The other thing you could do is look out to the West, Windsor area etc and commute to Ealing on the overground.


Edited by truck71 on Wednesday 13th February 13:29

chris7676

2,682 posts

188 months

Wednesday 13th February 2013
quotequote all
Nortfields / South Ealing areas are really fine. Houses are mostly terraces.

The Pisthanger Lane area is even better (IMO) but the transport links are not that good (lots of buses though). The west part of this area (actual borders of W13) has lots reasonably sizable semis.

I have lived in both areas.

I would avoid anywhere too close to Uxbridge Road, particularly the west part (if safety or peace is your concern).

Chiswick is more expensive and more squeezed and feels less relaxed (and more London-ish rather than village-like).

Leicesterdave

Original Poster:

2,105 posts

148 months

Saturday 16th February 2013
quotequote all
http://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/500/London-Eali...

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186338-...

Can't make my mind up where to stop. Ealing looks so nice though- I'm really surprised about the crime stats??

truck71

2,328 posts

140 months

Sunday 17th February 2013
quotequote all
Of those two I'd take the second one, the first is right on the Uxbridge Road which as a previous poster states is the more "lively" part. 2nd one also looks family run so they will be able to share their local knowledge etc.

Ealing Common and surrounding areas are not too bad, it's as you go West and around the Uxbridge Road that things get a bit grotty. A bit of perspective, it's a far cry from some south London boroughs, Catford/Eltham etc which are really horrible. You just need to get a feel for the area and choose accordingly to your budget.

Edited by truck71 on Sunday 17th February 07:36

Jenx

11,579 posts

210 months

Sunday 17th February 2013
quotequote all
Leicesterdave said:
Ealing looks so nice though- I'm really surprised about the crime stats??
I think the crime there is mainly perpetrated by people from next door Acton, Southall and Shepard's Bush.( easy pickings in a much more affluent area)

Robatr0n

12,362 posts

184 months

Monday 18th February 2013
quotequote all
truck71 said:
Leicesterdave said:
As said previously, my main concern is safety. I have kids and a wife, and my car- all of which (in no particular order) I'd like to keep safe.

I'll stick a few areas on here and if you could give me an idea what they're like I'd appreciate it!

Brentford? ok in parts, better value
Chiswick? nice but pricey, South of the A4 and you're under the flight path
Southfields? don't know
Putney? nice in parts but again pricey
Parsons Green? see Putney
Barnes? see Chiswick but flight path covers a lot of it
Roehampton? Avoid

In fact any decent affordable areas on the green line?


Edited by Leicesterdave on Wednesday 13th February 07:32
The other thing you could do is look out to the West, Windsor area etc and commute to Ealing on the overground.


Edited by truck71 on Wednesday 13th February 13:29
I'd agree with all your points. Brentford really isn't that bad. smile

ESDavey

659 posts

187 months

Monday 18th February 2013
quotequote all
I lived in Kingsley Avenue, West Ealing 12 years ago and as a young (no kids) couple, it was fantastic !!

Leicesterdave

Original Poster:

2,105 posts

148 months

Wednesday 20th February 2013
quotequote all
Off tommorow morning.

I'm staying in the B&B in ealing. Will park my car at a distant relative in Ruislip ( Have not seen them for 15 years). Would like to get a feel for Ruislip/Ickenham/Northwood. All seem boring but very 'suburban' and importantly safe.
Will then progress onto ealing on the tube. I was told to focus on the area near Cleveland Road so will have a good look.
Then onto Kew/Richmond/Twickenham for the same sort of thing. Might pop into a few estate agents and ask them their opinion. Whether I'll get the truth- I don't know!

Pickled

2,015 posts

111 months

Wednesday 20th February 2013
quotequote all
Leicesterdave said:
Off tommorow morning.

I'm staying in the B&B in ealing. Will park my car at a distant relative in Ruislip ( Have not seen them for 15 years). Would like to get a feel for Ruislip/Ickenham/Northwood. All seem boring but very 'suburban' and importantly safe.
Will then progress onto ealing on the tube. I was told to focus on the area near Cleveland Road so will have a good look.
Then onto Kew/Richmond/Twickenham for the same sort of thing. Might pop into a few estate agents and ask them their opinion. Whether I'll get the truth- I don't know!
Swakelys is the posh part of Ickenham, though there are lots of old RAF quarters in the area so not the best size properties, Ruislip is ok, then gets (relatively speaking) worse as you head east towards Ruislip Manor, Gardens, Northolt, South Ruislip. Duckshill Rd heading out of Ruislip heading towards Northwood and surrounding areas is pretty nice as well, although Ruislip Lido does seem to attract a lot of caravan owners wink

LiamB

7,791 posts

111 months

Thursday 21st February 2013
quotequote all
Pickled said:
Leicesterdave said:
Off tommorow morning.

I'm staying in the B&B in ealing. Will park my car at a distant relative in Ruislip ( Have not seen them for 15 years). Would like to get a feel for Ruislip/Ickenham/Northwood. All seem boring but very 'suburban' and importantly safe.
Will then progress onto ealing on the tube. I was told to focus on the area near Cleveland Road so will have a good look.
Then onto Kew/Richmond/Twickenham for the same sort of thing. Might pop into a few estate agents and ask them their opinion. Whether I'll get the truth- I don't know!
Swakelys is the posh part of Ickenham, though there are lots of old RAF quarters in the area so not the best size properties, Ruislip is ok, then gets (relatively speaking) worse as you head east towards Ruislip Manor, Gardens, Northolt, South Ruislip. Duckshill Rd heading out of Ruislip heading towards Northwood and surrounding areas is pretty nice as well, although Ruislip Lido does seem to attract a lot of caravan owners wink
+1

I'm in between Ruislip and Ruislip Manor and much prefer the Ruislip side.
The Manor attracts chavs and the sort, and beyond (Ruislip Gardens, South Ruislip) is even worse.

aaronrs3

1 posts

102 months

Sunday 24th February 2013
quotequote all
if your looking in Ealing for someone to bring up your family i would check out Pitshanger Lane. it has everything you need.

Leicesterdave

Original Poster:

2,105 posts

148 months

Monday 25th February 2013
quotequote all
Forgot to update this.
Enjoyed my time in London. Hectic, expensive (tube fares!!!) but surprinsingly really nice people wherever I went to ask for information. I spoke to local folk, all were happy to talk and popped into many estate agents, again nothing seemed too much trouble.

I started with Ruislip- great high street, felt really safe and homely. Better value for money as much further out BUT took ages on the tube to get to South Ealing- could I do this every day? Yes but it would be a bit of a pain + more expensive cost-wise.

I then travelled to Northfields. Seemed a much quieter area, almost too quiet! Couldn't quite make my mind up on it to be honest.

Got to Ealing Broadway- again nice high street, felt much more like London, very ethnically diverse since I last saw it. The houses are great- walked past Haven Green and onto Woodville Rd- seemed so peaceful all of a sudden and felt really homely. I was advised that the Pitshanger area was the 'place to move' in Ealing so will investigate this further whn we decide to move.

Finally checked out Richmond. Bugger to get to on the District line for sure- but the area was great! Definitely a place I'd love to move to however it looks far too expensive- so Ealing will probably be the one to go for!

truck71

2,328 posts

140 months

Monday 25th February 2013
quotequote all
Sounds like a successful trip, best of luck with it all.

David cuthbertson

1 posts

6 months

Tuesday 16th February
quotequote all
Mobile Chicane said:
Ealing Broadway / Northfields are quite nice places, albeit expensive ones due to easy transport links into central London.

The problem with Ealing is that the areas which surround it (Hanwell, Northolt, Acton and Brentford) are pretty grim.

Lots of cahncil estates innit; the breeding ground of the redneck and the racist.
I lived in Hanwell until I was 16 and only ever had issues when I went into Ealing so I’m not entirely sure where you got this clearly incorrect information from, going into Ealing I was always having to keep an eye on my belongings and I was threatened with knives in Ealing multiple times.

Then I went home to Hanwell and never had any of these issues, Hanwell was a great area to learn diversity and acceptance of all cultural backgrounds and beliefs. Living there made me a better person today. It’s clear your distaste for Hanwell and the other locations mentioned are coming from a classist idealism as I have met less racism in Hanwell than I did in any other place I’ve lived since.

Johnnytheboy

22,703 posts

154 months

Tuesday 16th February
quotequote all
It may have changed in the last 8 years. laugh

LanceRS

1,810 posts

105 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
North Ealing and Pitshanger are probably not a bad shout but have a proper look round because there are some less desirable places relatively close to the better bits of Ealing.
Avoid West Ealing and Hanwell.
Corfton Road has a couple of establishments, which given your requirements you really do not to live near.
Also avoid areas around Copley Close and Berners Drive.
The area around Ealing Common is generally OK