Somerset Village - Nice ones to live in

Somerset Village - Nice ones to live in

Author
Discussion

R12many

65 posts

26 months

Wednesday 25th October 2017
quotequote all
Not far from me. Some great roads up over Exmoor, just not at moment as they're covered in mud! Went out with my son for a blast to Bampton this morning and it took 2 hours to clean the crap off. Get used to that!

egor110

10,574 posts

137 months

Wednesday 25th October 2017
quotequote all
Frenchda said:
Thanks all. Spent a week mooching (although I drove back to Reading twice for meetings!) and viewed many cottages.

Compromised on distance and just increased my weekly commute but I think we have found our happy!

Stogumber - offer on a house today! This sts suddenly got very real smile.

Oh and the Reading house just sold!!!

Edited by Frenchda on Friday 20th October 13:19
Nice one .

i used to collect the post from the post office there .

guitarcarfanatic

465 posts

69 months

Friday 27th October 2017
quotequote all
Congrats and good luck smile

Lukeypoodle

59 posts

12 months

Saturday 28th October 2017
quotequote all
Was about to hop in and recommend Priddy but it sound spike you've done rather well anyway in finding a place.


Always worth a trip into Minehead for brunch at the Toucan from there.

Frenchda

Original Poster:

1,175 posts

167 months

Sunday 29th October 2017
quotequote all
Lukeypoodle said:
Was about to hop in and recommend Priddy but it sound spike you've done rather well anyway in finding a place.


Always worth a trip into Minehead for brunch at the Toucan from there.
Booze lunch and get the steam train home smile


Advertisement

Doofus

7,496 posts

107 months

Sunday 29th October 2017
quotequote all
What's Martock like?

AlmostUseful

2,444 posts

134 months

Wednesday 1st November 2017
quotequote all
Congratulations, Stogumber is a lovely village, in fact we’ve just got planning permission for 350 houses and a premier Inn to serve Hinckley C between Hill Street and Vellow Road. Not to worry, only 20% of the units are affordable.


Just kidding. Lovely area, some cracking walks to be had on the quanocks there, Great Wood at Ramscombe and the brook along Holborn are good starting places.

Welcome to Somerset! (Says the Welshman....)

AlmostUseful

2,444 posts

134 months

Wednesday 1st November 2017
quotequote all
Doofus said:
What's Martock like?
One of my colleagues lives there, they have a tennis club and at least 1 pub/restaurant as far as I can remember. What more do you need?

Doofus

7,496 posts

107 months

Wednesday 1st November 2017
quotequote all
AlmostUseful said:
One of my colleagues lives there, they have a tennis club and at least 1 pub/restaurant as far as I can remember. What more do you need?
Thank you. I know somebody who has bought there, and I wondered if he'd acidentaly moved to a noisy, busy town, rather than the large-ish village he was hoping for.

sgrimshaw

6,049 posts

184 months

Thursday 2nd November 2017
quotequote all
Frenchda said:
There's a chap a few posts up who has a friend who lives in Othery .... he might be interested wink

egor110

10,574 posts

137 months

Thursday 2nd November 2017
quotequote all
AlmostUseful said:
Congratulations, Stogumber is a lovely village, in fact we’ve just got planning permission for 350 houses and a premier Inn to serve Hinckley C between Hill Street and Vellow Road. Not to worry, only 20% of the units are affordable.


Just kidding. Lovely area, some cracking walks to be had on the quanocks there, Great Wood at Ramscombe and the brook along Holborn are good starting places.

Welcome to Somerset! (Says the Welshman....)
I run up on the quantocks so if you want any new routes give me a shout.

AlmostUseful

2,444 posts

134 months

Thursday 2nd November 2017
quotequote all
Cheers, I rarely go up there now to be honest. Used to ride the Xc bike up on the hill but tend to just smash some downhills now at Triscombe starting off at the stone when I get a chance.
We’re over in Burnham, so it’s pretty frustrating to see the north side of the aqua rocks from our beach knowing they’re near as damnit a 45 minute drive!

egor110

10,574 posts

137 months

Thursday 2nd November 2017
quotequote all
In that case you'd know most my routes anyway as I've nicked them from mtbers.

Went up there this evening and not a soul up there.

AlmostUseful

2,444 posts

134 months

Thursday 2nd November 2017
quotequote all
Too cold and foggy for us ponces!

Welshbeef

34,127 posts

132 months

Thursday 2nd November 2017
quotequote all
Depends on how rural you want to go.

North and South Cadbury are lovely little villages with Yeovil + Wincanton + Castle Carey very close (direct train to Oaddington ie stops in Reading).
Those areas are 90 mins from Reading BUT Stonehenge can screw up travel plans

egor110

10,574 posts

137 months

Thursday 2nd November 2017
quotequote all
AlmostUseful said:
Too cold and foggy for us ponces!
It was clear up there didn't hit fog until cothelstone/lydeard

Welshbeef

34,127 posts

132 months

Thursday 2nd November 2017
quotequote all
I love the Cidar of Sommerset. So varied so local so yummy.

AlmostUseful

2,444 posts

134 months

Friday 3rd November 2017
quotequote all
Welshbeef said:
Depends on how rural you want to go.

North and South Cadbury are lovely little villages with Yeovil + Wincanton + Castle Carey very close (direct train to Oaddington ie stops in Reading).
Those areas are 90 mins from Reading BUT Stonehenge can screw up travel plans
Good god man, in what world is that a benefit? laugh

df76

1,768 posts

212 months

Friday 3rd November 2017
quotequote all
Buying a house in Wells and should be in by Xmas.. already looking forward to my first evening in the Sheppey.

Thorburn

2,267 posts

127 months

Saturday 4th November 2017
quotequote all
AlmostUseful said:
Welshbeef said:
Depends on how rural you want to go.

North and South Cadbury are lovely little villages with Yeovil + Wincanton + Castle Carey very close (direct train to Oaddington ie stops in Reading).
Those areas are 90 mins from Reading BUT Stonehenge can screw up travel plans
Good god man, in what world is that a benefit? laugh
Well, Cary is alright.